Why become a member? ×

Nash Basses

paulmcnamara

To side with the mob...

I've played any number of Nash basses and in terms of weight and feel they ALL paled in comparison to a Bravewood, or even a Custom Shop relic.

I'd wager that other relic partscasters from people like McGuire, Eternal or Deltone (all readily available in the UK) would be better too, judging by their six-string guitars.

Apologies to the Strat owner above, from what you say yours sounds and plays damn good, no disrespect intended.

Basswise my 2K would be spent on a personal parts bass with luthier help, possibly with MJTele's input, or a Bravewood, plus wine women and song... or a Custom Shop. Probably in that order.

hi all,

ive got both a Bravewood and a Nash bass,

the Nash Bass belonged to Glenn Hughes, he actually used the bass on the BCC 2 album..the Bass sounds incredible (to me)..
i have used it live on many occasions, and its my 'go to' pbass...
i havent owned or played a USA Fender in a few years now, so i cant compare the two.

you can see and hear me with the Bravewood bass here, its a live recording too..[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJOuhbvivJk[/media]

im in love with the Bravewood bass, and im actually in the process of ordering another Pbass from Mr.Bravewood..

i guess if you want a fender p bass, buy a fender, but if you want a Nash P Bass, buy a Nash..and so forth..

Edited by jimijimmi

[quote name='jimijimmi' timestamp='1342794434' post='1741088'] hi all, ive got both a Bravewood and a Nash bass, the Nash Bass belonged to Glenn Hughes, he actually used the bass on the BCC 2 album..the Bass sounds incredible (to me).. i have used it live on many occasions, and its my 'go to' pbass... i havent owned or played a USA Fender in a few years now, so i cant compare the two. you can see and hear me with the Bravewood bass here, its a live recording too..[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJOuhbvivJk[/media] im in love with the Bravewood bass, and im actually in the process of ordering another Pbass from Mr.Bravewood.. i guess if you want a fender p bass, buy a fender, but if you want a Nash P Bass, buy a Nash..and so forth.. [/quote]
on my laptop so couldn't hear the bass. but nice song that :)

Thanks Luke! :)

ill point out its a SD antiquity 11 in the Bravewood [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/antiquity/bass/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/antiquity/bass/[/url]

and the Nash has a hand wound 'Nash' P pick up in..
you can hear the Nash on the Black Country Communion 2 album..all tracks were recorded with it...
there is a lot of attack on both Basses..

To be honest, P's sound pretty similar to me no matter what. The only major differences I hear are in the ultra modern higher gain Seymour Duncans which aren't my thing.

If you are playing fingerstyle, with flats, with the tone rolled off a fair bit, a cheap copy can almost get close to a high end boutique P bass, tone wise anyway. The rest is aesthetics, quality of parts (frets, wood, tuners, bridge) and the neck profile. Oh, and the fact most cheapie basses won't allow low action that easily without a few problems, (IME).

Never played a NASH, but I'd like to. I'd rather get a real American Standard Fender with that money though, or a Roadworn Fender.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1342793051' post='1741052']
Who actually shops in that Mesa shop anyway?
[/quote]

Me. I live over the hill from it. I'd like to go there and buy this Mile Lull PT that they have in stock at a reasonable price.; but back on topic.

Nash Basses-
Mine GOOD.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1342785791' post='1740892']
Personally, i wouldnt spend £2k+ (or even £1k+), on a '55 relic bass, when they can't even be arsed to get the correct string ferrules fitted, something that is very specific to that model. In my experience, Nash are very poor value for money, and yet seem to command alot of interest, and good prices. Shocking torty guards too!

Bravewood are in a different league alltogether to Nash, and are similarly priced.

Its all about personal taste though innit. I'd still rather do my own, for far less dollar, and it's more fun.
[/quote]

Well, I'm not blessed with the woodworking/electronics skills to "do my own" so I'm trapped to buy I guess.
My Nash 55 was about $1800 US; sorry I don't have the British Pound Key on my keyboard :lol:

Not sure what you mean about the string ferrules, but I assume you know something about the specs I don't. Strings thru fine for me.

Of course Bravewood isn't represented to me for comparison over here, there are other smaller builders that do the same thing:

e.g
[url="http://bluesmanvintage.foursharpmusic.com/#%21/category/newstuff/"]http://bluesmanvinta...egory/newstuff/[/url]

He's been getting some buzz.
Others too.

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342801939' post='1741278']
Well, I'm not blessed with the woodworking/electronics skills to "do my own" so I'm trapped to buy I guess.
My Nash 55 was about $1800 US; sorry I don't have the British Pound Key on my keyboard :lol:

Not sure what you mean about the string ferrules, but I assume you know something about the specs I don't. Strings thru fine for me.

Of course Bravewood isn't represented to me for comparison over here, there are other smaller builders that do the same thing:
[/quote]

I don't either, i just assemble and relic them.

The string ferrules are on the back of the body where the strings pass through to the bridge. nash use the allparts bodies which have the small '51 reissue style ferrules, because the larger ones are notoriously hard to come by. This is the last project i did, which i recently sold on here, with the correct ferrules;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181123-fender-precision-1955-relic-project/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181123-fender-precision-1955-relic-project/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

The Bravewood I have has the most authentic bodywork i have ever seen, outside of Clive Brown.

New Kings Road have 8 or so Nash on their site at the moment, including a P. Expensive methinks.

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342782388' post='1740814']
[i]Did you actually read the previous posts? [/i]
Yes I actually read the previous posts, inc. one elsewhere where one stated that Nash was "crap".

[i]Obviously spent too long in america myself (lived in California for a bit as a kid and had an American stepdad) :lol:[/i]
Did your Step-Dad when you [i]lived in California for a bit as a kid [/i]teach you manners?

Just wondering.
[/quote]

Nope, and unless you couldn't tell the two previous posts weren't exactly serious...

Anyway I'm off to be uncouth somewhere else :lol:

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342813110' post='1741500']
This guy's needs a word. Called me a "jack-off" among other things and I've just seen a bunch of anti-Scottish stuff, he's threatened others. He's been here 5 minute, how long before he takes it too far?
[/quote]
You've got issues, Bro.

Edited by Eljay

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1342809393' post='1741428']
I don't either, i just assemble and relic them.

The string ferrules are on the back of the body where the strings pass through to the bridge. nash use the allparts bodies which have the small '51 reissue style ferrules, because the larger ones are notoriously hard to come by. This is the last project i did, which i recently sold on here, with the correct ferrules;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181123-fender-precision-1955-relic-project/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

The Bravewood I have has the most authentic bodywork i have ever seen, outside of Clive Brown.

New Kings Road have 8 or so Nash on their site at the moment, including a P. Expensive methinks.
[/quote]

Gotcha, Thanks!

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1342811047' post='1741460']

Come on, let it go.
[/quote]

No probs, I was just clarifying that I wasn't being serious incase there was an misunderstanding (i wasn't actually squaring up, to be clear).

Anyway, sorry to all involved... No offence meant!

Edited by charic

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1342798806' post='1741204']
To be honest, P's sound pretty similar to me no matter what. The only major differences I hear are in the ultra modern higher gain Seymour Duncans which aren't my thing.

If you are playing fingerstyle, with flats, with the tone rolled off a fair bit, a cheap copy can almost get close to a high end boutique P bass, tone wise anyway. The rest is aesthetics, quality of parts (frets, wood, tuners, bridge) and the neck profile. Oh, and the fact most cheapie basses won't allow low action that easily without a few problems, (IME).

Never played a NASH, but I'd like to. I'd rather get a real American Standard Fender with that money though, or a Roadworn Fender.
[/quote]

I would have agreed a wee while ago... then changed the pickup on my P bass.... I made a video about it on the the Kramner/JV pickup thread I started- I was astounded how different the two pups were

Yep, had Clarky/Cairobill's red fella and that was a beauty. The 2-tone I sold to Pete on here had a slimmer neck but identical sounds, prob cos of the DiMArzios and a good neck/body contact. Can't fault 'em myself, other than mabe the retail price.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1343025655' post='1743811']
Yep, had Clarky/Cairobill's red fella and that was a beauty. The 2-tone I sold to Pete on here had a slimmer neck but identical sounds, prob cos of the DiMArzios and a good neck/body contact. Can't fault 'em myself, other than mabe the retail price.
[/quote]
Yep, I bought Donny’s sunburst JB63 and I can’t fault it either!

It looks the part and sounds like you would hope an old passive jazz should. It is pretty light and is certainly better put together than any of the Fenders that I have owned. When it arrived I took it to Jon Shuker to give it a once over and he was impressed, despite his aversion to relic’d basses. In fact, he reckoned that it was better than many examples of the real thing!

The reason that I bought it was because that I thought that it would be pretty cool for blues gigs! It certainly has received plenty of attention and many people are convinced that it’s the real thing! I used it as the house bass at a jam session at a recent blues festival and had quite a few decent players playing it, many of whom remarked on how good it sounded…..

Edited by peteb

Just wondering if anyone in the London area might be able to visit Westside M.I. in Denmark St to try out these basses; it would be good to get some other views and impressions of these for new sale Nashes, which going by many of the comments on this and other threads, seem to be quite a bit different from previous models. Anyone up for it over the holiday period; perhaps combine it with a visit to Stratford which is very quiet this time of year! :)

Edited by paulmcnamara

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1344601735' post='1766935'] Yeah, lots of people make copies of Fender basses. They're obviously just as good, if not better than real Fenders. For example, I once had a girlfriend who looked just like Kylie Minogue - so she was obviously as good, or maybe even better. No .... wait .... [/quote]
her sister?