Why become a member? ×

Do You like SInglecuts?

Eljay

Yeah, a lot of players don't like Singlecuts.
I always have, and when this fretted-4 (which is my preference) came up on E-Bay from the Builder, I jumped!

Glad I did, very deep tone!

Specs -

4 string
34" Scale Length
.75" string spacing
Mahogany Back with Burled Redwood Top, and Maple Accent Veneer
Mahogany and Flamed Maple Neck with Wenge accent strips
Ebony fretboard
Burled Maple Neck Heel
Mahogany and Burled Redwood Headstock
Finish is 3 coats of an epoxy sealer, 1 coat of Shellac and 8 coats of Hand-rubbed oil.
I also always put a coat of paste wax on my guitars to further protect the wood.

Electronics-

Emg-X PJ pick-ups with Vol-Vol-Tone Knobs

Hardware-

Solid Brass Hipshot B-style Bridge
Hipshot Tuners
Grover quick release strap pins

The one in the OP i don't mind as much, but as others have said, most singlecuts, the upper horn/non cut bit is HUUUUUGGGGEEEE and it just looks disgusting to me. The only singlecuts i really like are Les Pauls, but LP basses just look wierd as the body is always too small.

Liam

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1342678617' post='1739021']
Likewise. I usually can't stand singlecuts because the 'uncut' bit is always too big. The proportions of this are just right. Interesting pickup placement.
[/quote]

'me too', and what BigRedX said.

Is there any reason for them, apart from Marmite aesthetics?

The original design concept of an SC was that there would be greater resonance and definition resulting from the upper horn being joined directly to the body, especially in a neck-through fashion.

While I think this is true, I don't think it's a major factor insofar as the amp & the rest of the signal chain have a far greater effect.

Me personally- I think they are too cool. I can see why some of the extreme desings turn players off.
The Les Pauls and Tele's are "conservative" SC designs, my ASAT kicks butt, if you wanna call it a SC, fine!

Check this SC design out:
Builder in New Mexico called Sukop:

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1342818279' post='1741608']
I don't like it when they are 'extreme' but the subtle SC design on my Status Streamline seems to suit it ok.
[/quote]

That's an interesting design.

I've spoke with Rob I believe it was, about getting a headed Status Stealth built/shipped to me; they are truly Killer basses.
Never did the deed (yet)
There's this one available in the States;
that is actually making me drool on a daily basis.
Headed Stealth neck thru w/ leds...

I guess we (at least I ) can't be John Entwhistle,with massive collection, eh?

Edited by Eljay

It's a really tricky design to get right.

- ACG (especially the [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/265/"]Finn SC[/url]) and Ritter ([url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/R8-singlecut.php"]R8[/url]) have a great eye for design, and do the SC well.

-[url="http://www.fodera.com/main/BassModels.aspx?SeriesID=9"] Fodera's Anthony Jackson[/url] and Warwick's [url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=24286&cl=EN"]Thumb SC[/url] are some of the ugliest basses out there IMO

That ACG is awesome; I usually think Ritter is a little over the top, but I like that SC alot.

This Benavente works for me; as do (2) more by Jeff Powers of ELLA Bass.

The Warwick Thumb SC; I can see how it humps a lot of players out, but if it were available in a 4-string-
I'd be wanting one.
Maybe because I have a BO THumb and dig it's tone.

The Thumb SC style may not be everyone's style visually, but the tone of it is absolutely enormous. The added mass gives it a depth and fullness that is astounding. Yes, basses these days may be prettier than ever, but when it comes down to it we shouldn't forget the main point is tone, and to have a tool that allows us to speak our voice as musicians!

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1342684988' post='1739096']The only singlecuts i really like are Les Pauls, but LP basses just look wierd as the body is always too small.
[/quote]

Not all LP style basses look weird... at least not to my eyes! ;)

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2309.jpg[/IMG]

What model(s) are those, please; 2nd from left and far right?

Pretty cool along with your MM's.

And Warwick Official, I will state that I LOVE the design of the Thumb SC; I think it's the bomb, and knowing how my BO Thumb sounds-
Holy smokes, in a SC I bet it has bottom and resonance that could make me cry-and play it to no end.

I have a "ship coming in" shortly so to speak, and having the Warwick Custom Shop, which IMO makes some of the most amazing Basses ever, do a 4-string Thumb SC- I'm sick!
I had my Thumb built in a high-gloss Green; that's it, but SO well-done..Sorry about the pic, POS digicam.

Having a THUMB SC 4-string built with options considered...
Excuse me; I need to go meditate after that thought... :D

Edited by Eljay

They are made by John Bolin (same guy that custom makes for The Stones, ZZ Top etc) and designed by Ned Steinberger (he of Spector/Streamer fame... among many others). Bolin only made these 'production' basses for a short time, if you want one now they are a custom order. Lovely balance and weight, which make for a lovely player.

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342889001' post='1742466']
And Warwick Official, I will state that I LOVE the design of the Thumb SC; I think it's the bomb, and knowing how my BO Thumb sounds-
Holy smokes, in a SC I bet it has bottom and resonance that could make me cry-and play it to no end.

I have a "ship coming in" shortly so to speak, and having the Warwick Custom Shop, which IMO makes some of the most amazing Basses ever, do a 4-string Thumb SC- I'm sick!
I had my Thumb built in a high-gloss Green; that's it, but SO well-done..Sorry about the pic, POS digicam.

Having a THUMB SC 4-string built with options considered...
Excuse me; I need to go meditate after that thought... :D
[/quote]

"If you can dream it, we can build it!" lol! Just let me know if there is any way I can assist you in making this a reality. I would love to see this idea come to fruition! Cheers!

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1342894323' post='1742559']
"If you can dream it, we can build it!" lol! Just let me know if there is any way I can assist you in making this a reality. I would love to see this idea come to fruition! Cheers!
[/quote]

Believe me, I'm dreaming, losing sleep more appropriately. I know the vast majority of SC's are ERB's when I saw my 4-string SC, I JUMPED. It's a beaut.
Kinda wish 'Wick offered the Thumb SC in a 4-string, but I understand it would not be the majority's preference.

And I know the Custom Shop would knock it outta the park!
There are so many incredible options to be had- The bass I'm thinking would be outrageous, and as stated, I think the SC Thumb is in my eyes a beautiful bass.

All it takes is money & time; one I've got, the other-soon enuff I think! :lol:

Thanks will do. Ordered Green Thumb from dealer in Colorado, Guitar X.
Of course they simply act as an agent/dealer.

Warwick got it built fairly quickly, about 2 months IIRC.

I guess a Thumb SC 4 would surely make the CS Gallery!
The choices, the choices! :lol:
The natural woods are stunning, but "wax-on. wax-off" I dunno-
Maybe a translucent stain, or another high-polish which is done SO WELL.....

Ooohh

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342818745' post='1741617']
That's an interesting design.

I've spoke with Rob I believe it was, about getting a headed Status Stealth built/shipped to me; they are truly Killer basses.
Never did the deed (yet)
There's this one available in the States;
that is actually making me drool on a daily basis.
Headed Stealth neck thru w/ leds...

I guess we (at least I ) can't be John Entwhistle,with massive collection, eh?
[/quote]

You're not wrong there.

I've fancied a Stealth 2 for ages (as far as i can tell it's a Streamline with a conventional body shape) but i dont have a spare £2K lying around.

I'm a fan of singlecuts! Here's my beautiful Shuker 7 string tuned to low F#. The last few days had me thinking of selling it, but thankfully after a moment of complete stupidity I came to my senses as Jon and I designed it together. It's a very special instrument.