Why become a member? ×

Warning regarding the 'Beatle Experience' in Liverpool

Jazz Bass 65

Went to the 'Beatle Experience' staying at The Hard days Night Hotel on Sunday 15th July.
The Hotel was great and only a couple of minutes from the Cavern Club and Cavern Bar.
There were visitors from all round the world who like us enjoyed the live band music on Sunday evening.
Unfortunately this did not carry through on Monday evening where we were subjected to solo singer guitarists
churning out Beatles songs like street buskers.
Like us a couple from Norway were very dissapointed to find and absence of live bands on Monday evening anywhere in the vicinity of the 'Cavern', which, as on Sunday evening, was packed out again, we had paid to stay an extra night expecting to see and hear more live bands.
It felt like they were just cashing in on the memory of the Beatles. To travel from the far side of the world as many of the visitors had and only to be entertained by nothing more than busking must be a letdown.

Edited by Jazz Bass 65

A band I am currently in are playing at International Beatles Weekend at the end of August in Liverpool.

Personally, I'm not that big a fan but we're doing a lot of McCartney & Wings stuff as well which Iike a bit of.

I'm doing it purely for the experience, because I love to play and so that I can say that I've done it.

Edited by Delberthot

Write to them, if the place was packed on Monday too they could afford to get in a live band or two.

I love the Beatles, quite liked the one tribute act I've seen (on the same bill as my band), but more for appreciating their attention to detail in the music than enjoying other people singing Beatles songs.

We've played both the Cavern Pub and Club in the past, I think they find it hard to strike a balance in both. I've seen both venues packed out with hundreds of people all singing along to one man and his guitar playing the Beatles and I've also been whinged at by punters because we don't play a single Beatles song when we play either venue too.

You can't please everyone, and not only that, I bet it's hard to find decent live bands in packed venues in most Cities that aren't London during the week.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342603512' post='1737551']
Well, yes, but not playing any Beatles songs in The Cavern is not a great start is it? :lol:
[/quote]

Sorry, I missed the bit out about lots of people whinging that all the hear is Beatles songs all the time in there! To lots of local people who go there, it's their actual local, they don't want to hear the Beatles all the time!

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1342604223' post='1737567']
Sorry, I missed the bit out about lots of people whinging that all the hear is Beatles songs all the time in there! To lots of local people who go there, it's their actual local, they don't want to hear the Beatles all the time!
[/quote]

Isn't that a bit like having a Hard Rock Cafe as your local, and wanting Sky Sports on the TVs? :)

Yeah, the original site was owned by British Rail and was demolished a couple of decades ago to make way for a tunnel air shaft that was never constructed. Stellar work at preserving our cultural history.

There's mixed feelings about the Beatles stuff in Liverpool - it's a great part of our city's musical heritage, but often seems like it is a shadow hanging over anyone trying to do anything different.

The Cavern as a venue mainly plays host to covers bands these days (a guy I know has a residency there and may well be one of the 'buskers' you described) but there's only so many sets of Beatles tunes you'd want to squeeze into a venue over the course of a week - if they had a Beatles tribute on every day they'd quickly lose any semblance of a regular crowd as the repetition would be stifling.

As for original music - The Cavern is very much removed from the Liverpool music scene on that front. For the last few years all the original band nights have been run by JAR Music, who are renowned for their tactics of making bands buy tickets up front, sell them at inflated prices and squeezing as many bands as possible onto each bill to up their profits. It's generally given a wide berth by any of the decent/clued up bands around here and unfortunately ends up playing host to younger, more naive and less experienced bands who are suckered in by the name and history associated with the venue.

All in all, bit of a wasted opportunity, has the venue itself is ace and the big room at the back has a great stage, high quality in house backline and a cracking sound system.

Aghh you came a few weeks too late! We have a residency at the Cavern Club every other Sunday but we've been in Sweden playing. We're not a 'Beatles' cover band by any stretch of the imagination but we do a fair few Beatles tunes, plus a load of British rock tunes as well.

Monday isn't a busy night in any city in England apart from London, so I'm hardly surprised you didn't get any live music on the night. The Cavern Club is what it is... a shrine to the Beatles. It's a tourist trap, but I happen to think that you probably just got very unlucky with the days that you chose to go, it's usually pretty lively. Sunday afternoons are usually best.

Here's my band playing one of our regular slots. Sorry you had no luck this time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjYlyGQrfk&feature=relmfu

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1342624556' post='1738111']
Aghh you came a few weeks too late! We have a residency at the Cavern Club every other Sunday but we've been in Sweden playing. We're not a 'Beatles' cover band by any stretch of the imagination but we do a fair few Beatles tunes, plus a load of British rock tunes as well.

Monday isn't a busy night in any city in England apart from London, so I'm hardly surprised you didn't get any live music on the night. The Cavern Club is what it is... a shrine to the Beatles. It's a tourist trap, but I happen to think that you probably just got very unlucky with the days that you chose to go, it's usually pretty lively. Sunday afternoons are usually best.

Here's my band playing one of our regular slots. Sorry you had no luck this time!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjYlyGQrfk&feature=relmfu[/media]
[/quote]
Bloody excellent mate!

Only skimmed through this thread, I was never a Beatles fan, not even in the 60s, so maybe I'm a bit biased. But what could you realistically expect from a Beatles Experience type of thing ?

The Beatles effectively split up nearly 45 , [b]yes 45[/b] years ago, Time to let em go I think. Otherwise there are those who will cash in just about forever.

As an aside, anybody else noticed McCarneys now has slightly strange hair ? Could it be a rug ?

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1342605152' post='1737595']
The Cavern is and always has been a live music venue, not a Beatles venue. It's the expectations of the Beatles fans which need to be managed!
[/quote]

Bam! This is it, people.