Why become a member? ×

Warning regarding the 'Beatle Experience' in Liverpool

Jazz Bass 65

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1342635371' post='1738459']
If anyone still doubts the massive impact of The Beatles as cultural icon then prepare to be convinced:
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-18886223"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...eyside-18886223[/url]
[/quote]
Agree 100%
There will never be anything to equal the effect/impact that they had and not just for there music, the cultural shock that they created is still being felt today.

I like the Beatles to an extent and can see the attraction. I've heard some of the music that was about before everyone heard them and for the most part it was bloody aweful so its easy to see the attraction of them and their music.

The Stones are touring simply because they are still alive (although they don't always look it) They were overshadowed in the 60s by the Beatles and by Led Zeppelin in the 70s.

If anyone happens to be in Liverpool for Beatles weekend then check out the band's website [url="http://www.getbackband.co.uk/gigs.htm"]here[/url] and give me a wave if you happen to come along to one of our gigs. I personally cannot bloody wait.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1342624556' post='1738111']
Here's my band playing one of our regular slots. Sorry you had no luck this time!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjYlyGQrfk&feature=relmfu[/media]
[/quote]

That's the first time I've ever seen this song covered well.. And it's bloody awesome! Well done :D

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1342640912' post='1738598']
I like the Beatles to an extent and can see the attraction. I've heard some of the music that was about before everyone heard them and for the most part it was bloody aweful so its easy to see the attraction of them and their music.

The Stones are touring simply because they are still alive (although they don't always look it) They were overshadowed in the 60s by the Beatles and by Led Zeppelin in the 70s.

If anyone happens to be in Liverpool for Beatles weekend then check out the band's website [url="http://www.getbackband.co.uk/gigs.htm"]here[/url] and give me a wave if you happen to come along to one of our gigs. I personally cannot bloody wait.
[/quote]

Good points there, but...

As I remember it, during our 60s, not the one up in that London, No one actually dressed in Carnaby St fashions anywhere else. You were either a Beatles fan or a Stones fan, Both had a lasting impact culturally.but they must have been influenced themselved by what was coming from ther bands at the time. The stones were a bit of a spent force by the end of the 60s, at least singles wise, So I dont think Zepelin had much to do with it.

look at just about any singles chart from the 60s, and most of it was dire, we just only remember the better stuff, like the weather, the sun didnt always shine in 66 and 67..And if that was the summer of love we kinda missed out where I lived, although I was only 13 nor 14.

The entire Matthew Street area is a bit of a cash-in. The pay-to-play business for bands playing in the Cavern is slightly ironic, as I doubt the Beatles would have considered playing back in the day- essentially the place trumpets itself as the home of music in Liverpool and yet is at the same time damaging the local scene and making things harder for new bands to gain a following. There is a fantastic original music scene in Liverpool but for the most part in my experience it's had nothing to do with the Cavern, a massive waste of a great venue.

And don't even get me started on The Hard Day's Night Hotel, I'd love to know what the Beatles would have thought about having a place running pretty much entirely off their images and playing their music outside on a constant loop during the day 45 years after they broke up. I cringe walking past there.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1342642671' post='1738642']
And don't even get me started on The Hard Day's Night Hotel, I'd love to know what the Beatles would have thought about having a place running pretty much entirely off their images and playing their music outside on a constant loop during the day 45 years after they broke up. I cringe walking past there.
[/quote]

I dare say they'd say exactly the same as today... "How much are we gerrin' fer tha'?" :)