Why become a member? ×

Metal players and 5 stringers?

cocco

So I have a few days off work and I spent yesterday reliving my youth on YouTube watching videos by bands like Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, Korn to name but a few.

With Mudvayne and Limp Bizkit especially both bass players are pretty good technical players and both play 5 strings but neither use the low string at all really, which begs the question what is the point?

I guess even if they used the low b on 2 or 3 songs it would save the need for an extra bass. I prefer to have a high c rather than low b. I haven't played 'metal' since my slayer days so my tuppence is probably only worth halfpence. Halpence for my tuppence anyone? snigger

Edited by lettsguitars

Just personal preference?
On the other hand, the bassist from Snot de-tunes his 4 to C or C#, as do many others in the genre. Why don't they play fives....
Also, it might be worth considering that whilst they play in metal bands, they might play other material too, which needs the low B. They then get to like a certain bass, and just use that for everything?

I play 4, 5 and 6 string basses for metal, depending on the song and tuning. So that we're at a happy medium, most of the modern metal covers are in the dreaded drop C# tuning, and I tune back up to Eb for the songs in a standard tuning. Anything in B or drop B, I use my 5 string in standard tuning. My 6 string is tuned a step down to low A, standard tuning, so I mostly use it in my originals outfits

I think a lot of it is just that they use it sparingly. I know Mudvaynes bassist barely ever uses it unless it sounds right (like on Under my Skin) but he does tune GCGCF or F#BF#BE, which is already ridiculous! I do think it's just a case of, use when Nessescary. Protest the Hero's bassist is probably the best example I can think of. He uses the low string quite a lot but still knows when it wouldn't sound like rubbish. Also, forgot to mention dynamics. Playing a C on the Low B string creates a completely different feel than playing it on the A string, adds impact I feel.

Edited by Cameronj279

I don't think Mudvayne's bassist used a 5 string since the first album.

I used a 4 tuned to B standard in my old metal band as the guitarist were in drop B, so if I'd played a 5, which I did for a while, that would've been the equivalent of a high C as everything was down a 4th

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1342360257' post='1733677']
I will admit, I personally don't like using the low string all the time, I try to use it sparingly but not really possible in some sub-genres or with certain guitarists
[/quote]

I think this is my thinking on the 5th string with respect to Metal

Ahh drop C#, also known around these parts as Drop Doom :crazy:

I should think that the reason many guys play in drop tuning rather than a 5-string is to do with how riffs are written. Many of the EofF riffs are in drop D and it's a lot easier to play them as such rather than stretching around 5-strings. I do enjoy having some extra low notes handy though when playing a 5er. Funnily enough, I have never used my 5 string for metal, I've only ever used it with Mehal playing acoustic rock!

HAving a string tuned to the same pitch as the guiarist's bottom string is very important in metal because of the riffs tending to have a lot of open notes in.

Best band for me tuning-wise is Malacite because they play in D standard. It means if I tune my 6 string down 1 step, I've still got a string a 4th below the guitars... And no silly drop tuning! :D

Edited by chrismuzz

I play a lot of metal. I have one 4 string Bass tuned half a step down and one 5 string Bass tuned to standard. I find this covers most of what I want to play. I use the D on the B string a lot for drop D songs, but this can be awkward on some songs.

I have thought about installing a D-Tuner but I don't know where to put it. I think the only place would be the E string on the 5er, but that leaves the B in a weird place, but, I suppose, on those songs I wouldn't need the B string anyway.

With one band I can go for most of the set not playing the G string. Does that mean I should be looking to buy a 3 string bass?

On some gigs I don't use the B string, and on most I do. I’ll always take the same bass to each gig because it plays and sounds the best.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1342392161' post='1734332']
+1000
[/quote]

+1001

I used to play in a prog rock band so I got a 6 string, but then when that folded I joined a Metal band. Can't really afford another bass so I've stuck with the 6. I'm used to it, its comfortable and is a great bass to play so why change even if I do only play 2 string 90% of teh time!?!

I have my E tuned to D but I leave the B becasue theres one song which requires it. Bit of an odd set up but it works for me.

I would like a nice 4 string though, the 6 strings a bit heavy to throw about

I play in a metal covers band and use A for Korn and Slipknot. sometimes use the E to D for Killswitch Engage. Nice to have it there when you need it. I am seriously considering a thumpinator thought to keep those low notes as clear as possible. It does get dirty down there some times.

In my originals metal band,about 10 years ago,I only used the 5 string,everything was in d flat or low b, but we split up,then reformed last year,and I play the same songs on standard 4 string now, because people used to say they couldn`t hear me playing on all those low notes!! I thought to myself,well Steve Harris and Frank Bello only very rarely de tune,and no one misses them in the mix, so sod it I`ll try it, and am very pleased with the results. Covers are a different bag though, I would guess,as you need to sound like the original.