Why become a member? ×

'classic' stingray vs stingray - are they worth it?

zero9

Quite fancy a 'classic' Stingray, however, does anyone have comparable experience between the 'classic' model and the standard Stingray?

Are they worth the extra? :blink:

Apologies in advance if this query has been posted before (I did manage to find something on talkbass).

Cheers,
Wil

If your after a 4 string a proper pre EB knocks spots off it and will retain if not increase in value on the other hand I really want a classic 5 as that obviously is not an option any other way, all the best bits of my pre EB with an extra string whats not to like?! :)

They appear to be much zingier than a pre EB Ray which is odd as I have the same circuit but that said you can cut the treble, the necks are fabulous and they look super cool over all. The slab body takes a few gigs to get used to but after that its fine, the muted bridges are cool for some old skool tones too.

Are you familiar with the 2 band Ray in general? If not and you take either for a test drive, bass on full then adjust the treble pot like you would a tone pot on a P bass, massive range of tones all on one pot :)

I have a pre EB and a Classic 5 and would say that they are very different beasts. I found the stock pre-amp in the Classic a bit lacking and changed it for an East 3 band and that made a world of difference.

The Classic is a great bass and on mine the figuring in the neck and fingerboard makes it a great thing to look at - really pretty.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1342093595' post='1729408']
Quite fancy a 'classic' Stingray, however, does anyone have comparable experience between the 'classic' model and the standard Stingray?

Are they worth the extra? :blink:

Apologies in advance if this query has been posted before (I did manage to find something on talkbass).

Cheers,
Wil
[/quote]

Well the difference is you get:-

1) A strings through bridge - lots of debate over the effect but suffice it to say my Classic has ludicrous amounts of sustain - more than other Stingrays I had/have.
2) Mute assembly on the bridge - useful for getting a very thumpy old school sound
3) Choice of birds eye or flamed maple neck with laquered finish
4) Chrome truss rod adjuster wheel
5) Mid 80s headstock logo
6) Original chrome battery box cover
7) Different range of colours - dependent on colour choice, the pick up cover is white or black (but you can buy covers if you don't like the colour you get)

The rest is the same as a stock 2 band Stingray - the EQ has been the same spec more or less since 1979 - my Classic is capable of being a bit more aggresive sounding than my 1980 pre EB sunburst was - possibly because it had an alder body whereas all the Classics are ash.

So for me it was worth it just for the cosmetic touches, and especially the neck - it's more of a re-make of the early 90s era Ray with the strings through bridge than a re-make of a pre EB bass. You can probably get a good deal on one if you shop around, and who knows on future values but they're probably one of the nicest Stingrays made in recent years which should count for something. I use mine all the time.

Edited by drTStingray

Thanks for all the replies so far, much appreciated.

drTStingray, you mention some "good deals" on one if I shopped around, do you have any suggestions? All this talk about 'classic' Stingrays is giving me severe GAS :huh:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342112094' post='1729828']
Are you familiar with the 2 band Ray in general? If not and you take either for a test drive, bass on full then adjust the treble pot like you would a tone pot on a P bass, massive range of tones all on one pot :)
[/quote]

Just to join the love in, I have the bass on full also!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1342136100' post='1730393']
Well the difference is you get:-

1) A strings through bridge - lots of debate over the effect but suffice it to say my Classic has ludicrous amounts of sustain - more than other Stingrays I had/have.
2) Mute assembly on the bridge - useful for getting a very thumpy old school sound
3) Choice of birds eye or flamed maple neck with laquered finish
4) Chrome truss rod adjuster wheel
5) Mid 80s headstock logo
6) Original chrome battery box cover
7) Different range of colours - dependent on colour choice, the pick up cover is white or black (but you can buy covers if you don't like the colour you get)

The rest is the same as a stock 2 band Stingray - the EQ has been the same spec more or less since 1979 - my Classic is capable of being a bit more aggresive sounding than my 1980 pre EB sunburst was - possibly because it had an alder body whereas all the Classics are ash.

So for me it was worth it just for the cosmetic touches, and especially the neck - it's more of a re-make of the early 90s era Ray with the strings through bridge than a re-make of a pre EB bass. You can probably get a good deal on one if you shop around, and who knows on future values but they're probably one of the nicest Stingrays made in recent years which should count for something. I use mine all the time.
[/quote]

so translated...

this bass will give you....

1) something that might increase the sustain
2) something to stop the sustain
3) softer versions of maple less suitable for a bass neck than non figured
4) a shiney thing
5) a different sticker on it
6) another shiny thing
7) pretty colours.

and

8) possibly a 5th string

:P

• Like 1

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1342186944' post='1731138']
Is there much of a price difference between a Pre-EB and a Classic at the moment? I know which I'd go for.
[/quote]

Me too, without question.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342188172' post='1731192']
so translated...

4) a shiney thing
6) another shiny thing
7) pretty colours.

and

8) possibly a 5th string

[/quote]

:lol:

so translated...

4) a shiney thing
6) another shiny thing
7) pretty colours.

and

8) possibly a 5th string

[/quote]

ha! nice :lol:

I think if you can grab one at a good price, and it plays well, go for it.

That Truss Rod Wheel is brilliant and I'd rather have that than the old design.

Re: Figured neck - it is HEAVILY glossed so in reality I doubt it make and stability differences. Some of them do look spectacular. If I was buying one I'd want to see it first and get the right one.

A word from a few stores this past few weeks - Musicman prices are going to have a DRAMATIC increase in the UK over the next month, so get in whilst you can.

Edited by Musicman20

so translated...

4) a shiney thing
6) another shiny thing
7) pretty colours.

and

[b]8) possibly a 5th string[/b]

[/quote]

See they got me with number 8! This is what the Ray 5 should of been in '87 other than the slab body IMO, I love my 5's but they are Silouhette basses really aren't they?

The classic has the best of everything, basically a pre EB with a fancy neck, 6 bolt neck plate and wheel of fortune but with the mute bridge with the string thru option and the 2 band EQ, if it had a contoured body it would be even better but not really a pre EB copy which is what it is rather than an 80's EBMM Ray copy as they were contoured from day one in '84.

If you can get a decent Classic for £1100-1200 ish then they're a good shout if you want the nicer neck finish, mutes, through stringing etc. Check this one out: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-StingRay-4-String-Bass-Guitar-/300737137777?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4605548c71"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-StingRay-4-String-Bass-Guitar-/300737137777?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4605548c71[/url]

Otherwise you could get a decent recent-ish 2EQ (minus mutes, through-string, figured neck) for £700-ish, late 80s are great value at around £900-ish. I was extremely jammy with my '88 owing to dodgy eBay photography, but has mutes, gorgeous neck and can't imagine a pre-EB or Classic sounding any better. You pays yer money, yadda yadda....

Oh aye, 4th vote for maxing the bass, treble on about an eighth or adjust to taste. THE definitive bass sound for me....

I'd say the sound is the going to be the least different thing about them too, a different amp used on a pre EB, Classic or regular 2 band EBMM would make more difference over all, One looks really cool, one looks even cooler still and the other is the reason the other two exist and looks the coolest of all three :D

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1342203087' post='1731687']
Oh aye, 4th vote for maxing the bass, treble on about an eighth or adjust to taste. THE definitive bass sound for me....
[/quote]

You must all use very trebly amps :lol:

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1342187801' post='1731177']
I have a 90s, 2eq eb sting ray, sounds ace, I used to have all the pots turned up full but I fried my pre amp after about 5 years and had to replace, I back them off a bit now :)

Never played an pre eb sting ray, on my to do list tho :)
[/quote]

so translated...

4) a shiney thing
6) another shiny thing
7) pretty colours.

and

8) possibly a 5th string

[/quote]

Luke I missed some........

Different neck radius (based on pre EB I think)
Skinny frets
Slab body

Your post is very witty, and I'm sure you were joking -

1) something that might increase the sustain - yes true
2) something to stop the sustain - yes true - or control it, or leave it as it is - remember you have working controls on a Stingray
3) softer versions of maple less suitable for a bass neck than non figured - a moot point - many people would say something rhyming with ball cocks - any way it's heavily lacquered so highly umlikely to have a down side and looks/feels/plays great
4) a shiney thing - true - and it's about the best/easiest truss rod system available
5) a different sticker on it - yep
6) another shiny thing - yep
7) pretty colours - depends on your taste I guess - some may hate them - is retro sunburst and natural pretty?? Stock bass colours surely?

and

8) possibly a 5th string - if you really must!

I paid a premium of about £250 at the time over a stock Ray ordered as a special order (as this was) and am more than happy.

Now to make a comparison, a bass I like begins with P - I can buy essentially the same instrument with a £2000 price difference - fancy strings, famous bass player name, different sticker, select wood plus less mass produced - nowI think that differential is rather more than I'm prepared to justify, but an extra £250 for the Ray of my dreams..............no prob

I'm with you on 90s Rays - I love them. I also put the bass on full and control the zing by adjusting the treble - I've even put Cobalt strings on it - and a Markbass rig - the whole lot sounds brilliant to my ears so it's utopia for me.

The old pre-EBs I really like as well but I don't think they look that different - very variable weight (up to 15 lbs!!!!!), maybe a little mojo from age, and sometimes variable quality. I think the Classic Ray is an example of where a new bass is a good bet.

Anyway - comment away - wonder when they're gonna do a Pino Palladino Ray signature!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1342210230' post='1731908']
Luke I missed some........

Different neck radius (based on pre EB I think)
Skinny frets
Slab body

Your post is very witty, and I'm sure you were joking -

1) something that might increase the sustain - yes true
2) something to stop the sustain - yes true - or control it, or leave it as it is - remember you have working controls on a Stingray
3) softer versions of maple less suitable for a bass neck than non figured - a moot point - many people would say something rhyming with ball cocks - any way it's heavily lacquered so highly umlikely to have a down side and looks/feels/plays great
4) a shiney thing - true - and it's about the best/easiest truss rod system available
5) a different sticker on it - yep
6) another shiny thing - yep
7) pretty colours - depends on your taste I guess - some may hate them - is retro sunburst and natural pretty?? Stock bass colours surely?

and

8) possibly a 5th string - if you really must!

I paid a premium of about £250 at the time over a stock Ray ordered as a special order (as this was) and am more than happy.

Now to make a comparison, a bass I like begins with P - I can buy essentially the same instrument with a £2000 price difference - fancy strings, famous bass player name, different sticker, select wood plus less mass produced - nowI think that differential is rather more than I'm prepared to justify, but an extra £250 for the Ray of my dreams..............no prob

I'm with you on 90s Rays - I love them. I also put the bass on full and control the zing by adjusting the treble - I've even put Cobalt strings on it - and a Markbass rig - the whole lot sounds brilliant to my ears so it's utopia for me.

The old pre-EBs I really like as well but I don't think they look that different - very variable weight (up to 15 lbs!!!!!), maybe a little mojo from age, and sometimes variable quality - the sunburst wore through to the wood on the heel strap button and on the top - anybody on here got it - I'd love to buy it back!! I think the Classic Ray is an example of where a new bass is a good bet.

Anyway - comment away - wonder when they're gonna do a Pino Palladino Ray signature...........!!
[/quote]

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1342210230' post='1731908']

[u]The old pre-EBs I really like as well but I don't think they look that different -[/u] very variable weight (up to 15 lbs!!!!!), maybe a little mojo from age, and sometimes variable quality. I think the Classic Ray is an example of where a new bass is a good bet.

[/quote]

You know you're as sad as me and can spot the missing fret marker from 200 yards though! :lol:

If you could garantee the pre EB being a good one then I would still take a pre EB if I were after a 4 string, they have a ceratin magical something.