Why become a member? ×

'classic' stingray vs stingray - are they worth it?

zero9

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342210797' post='1731926']
You know you're as sad as me and can spot the missing fret marker from 200 yards though! :lol:
[/quote]

Not unless they're side by side, and on a maple board - then at least 300 yards!!! I agree with you, they're great - that's why I bought my first one - Pete bass enthusiasts are definitely sad, but compared with guitar enthusiasts - positively mild IMO!!!

Edited by drTStingray

Will try and get one of my pics back up here.

I didn't pay £2k for mine though!!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342212343' post='1731964']
Have you seen Gunsfreddy's? :gas:
I have just had a new motorbike or I would of dropped the bomb to see what the boss said! Next year at least and thats if work is OK :(
[/quote]

I don't know if you're aware but your 82 is probably a Jackson Charvel Ray - according to Sterling Ball, they made them for a while early 80s - I'd try and fund a Classic Ray than sell that. If I had any money I'd make you an offer!!

Yeah the coral red is a very nice bass - I turn the bass right up on the Ray and cut the bass pot slightly on the LM3 the bass EQ sounds so good on the Ray.

A couple more pics for you...............sorry if this turns up the GAS.

[attachment=113072:16042011994.jpg]
[attachment=113073:16042011987.jpg]
[attachment=113076:16042011996.jpg]
[attachment=113077:16042011997.jpg]

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1342212626' post='1731971']
I don't know if you're aware but your 82 is probably a [u]Jackson Charvel Ray [/u]- according to Sterling Ball, they made them for a while early 80s - I'd try and fund a Classic Ray than sell that. If I had any money I'd make you an offer!!
[/quote]

Is that a good or bad thing?

Its not pointy enough to be one of theirs anyway, Rawk! :D

Ha ha - I have an aversion to pointy guitars also - even EBMM ones!

One or two of the pre EB fans rave about early 80s Rays - something to do with neck feel/radius and a lot of the colours have alder bodies, so a bit mellower sounding apparently.

Thanks re the Classic - to be honest I use it most of the time.

Edited by drTStingray

Im imune gas wise to the Coral red actually, but that neck and headstock look awesome!, I want either powder blue or the green one, but mainly the tobacco one with a white guard like a John Deacon 5 String!

Mine is Ash but very light, the neck radius is what sold it too me actually so I need to try some earlier ones and see what they are like, mine is very flat across the back, I was expecting old skool fat and chunky with a high action but its slim and fast!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1342212626' post='1731971']

[attachment=113072:16042011994.jpg]
[attachment=113073:16042011987.jpg]
[attachment=113076:16042011996.jpg]
[attachment=113077:16042011997.jpg]
[/quote]

THIS bass is exquisite. Blew me away when I played it. Nicer than my early 90s Sterling...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1342210230' post='1731908']
Anyway - comment away - wonder when they're gonna do a Pino Palladino Ray signature!!
[/quote]

I'm jammy enough to own this :

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/MattM1314/7217576e.jpg[/IMG]

Specked up by a Mr Lindsay of this parish. 2EQ, unlined, tobacco burst (newer 3 tone bursts a wee bit too dark to match Pinos),wheel of fortune, 6 bolt. Gorgeous. If you whacked through stringing, mutes and a flamed/birdseye neck on there, you'd be sorted. Mwah....

Edited by MattM

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342208902' post='1731869']
Man up Jose :P

No idea how it compares with the John East version?
[/quote]

it´s very similar. I also had the original 2EQ from my Stingray in an OLP, I had a SUB5 with 2 band EQ, and I have a 4 string SUB too...
I guess that´s just how I like it!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1342282093' post='1732805']
it´s very similar. I also had the original 2EQ from my Stingray in an OLP, I had a SUB5 with 2 band EQ, and I have a 4 string SUB too...
I guess that´s just how I like it!
[/quote]

I need to try one of these pre amps, why do you live so far away?!

Just a hedge in my way, about 25-30 mph! Bike has a few light scuffs and I have a few aches but I cant complain, It could of been much worse for either me, the bike or both of us. My mate has been and helped me put it all back together and a bit of T cut here and there has got it looking good, couldn't of happened to the 12 year old bike I traded in for it a month ago though could it! :)

I bought a brand new 4 string classic ash/maple a few months ago but I've been playing the Steinberger and Precision with the band. Think it's still got the plastic bags over the tuners and pickguard. It's hardly been out of the case. It has the Louis Johnson vibe with black guard. If anybody is looking for an 'as new' classic £1200 + delivery will seal it... pm me if you are interested.

Edited by markorbit

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1342257606' post='1732334']
I'm jammy enough to own this :

Specked up by a Mr Lindsay of this parish. 2EQ, unlined, tobacco burst (newer 3 tone bursts a wee bit too dark to match Pinos),wheel of fortune, 6 bolt. Gorgeous. If you whacked through stringing, mutes and a flamed/birdseye neck on there, you'd be sorted. Mwah....
[/quote]

Absolutely gorgeous.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342272750' post='1732634']
Me too. Actually I'm not sure immune best describes it, allergic might be more appropriate. :lol:
[/quote]

It's actually very nice indeed, but I'd admit the colour's not to everyone's taste - however I've already got a natural and a sunburst so don't want any more...................for now!!!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1342297423' post='1733069']
Manged to take some pics today of the pre EB neck/headstock and the Classic so that you can see what you get in terms of "better woodwork".

I think the Classics do look really good.
[/quote]

Very nice woodwork there - in both cases