Why become a member? ×

Bongo

cloudburst

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1341591502' post='1721564']
Personally out of all neck profiles, I find they go in this order of preference for me:

Stingray/Sterling/Bongo
P Bass
J Bass

J bass necks are a little too skinny for me, but I love the sound and aesthestics of a Jazz.

Warwick 5 string necks are at the bottom. Euggh.
[/quote]

Flip that list over and that's me! One mans meat and all that!

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1341435052' post='1719129']
Got my Bongo 4HH today.
[/quote]

Congrats, Cloudburst! I'm sure you'll enjoy more and more.
OMG indeed.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1341435467' post='1719147']
I keep dreaming of running a Bongo 6HH Stealth into an Orange Bass Terror 1000 and Barefaced Super 12
[/quote]

Sorry, Liam, but you've got [b]no clue[/b] whatsoever, and I can prove it: that's almost exactly my dream as well (Bongo in Tangerine Pearl though).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1341589349' post='1721518']
Mine is going to stand out like crazy as well (all Bongo's should!)
[/quote]

All Bongos should! +1

Tangerine Pearl/Black Plate/5 HH
[/quote]

... or even with the white plate. Uneffingbelievable!
That said, they should offer a certain shade of grey plate to go with the Tangerine as well. It would look otherworldish.

I actually like how they look now. It took me a while, but its grown on me, a lot.

Mine is going to stand out like crazy as well (all Bongo's should!)

Tangerine Pearl/Black Plate/5 HH
[/quote]

Like this?

I love my Bongo!

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1341503385' post='1720182']
I had a bongo, it played like butter. To this day I wish I could have got on with the complex preamp.
[/quote]

No wonder we both think it plays like butter - it's YOUR ex-Bongo! :-)

unknown (TB forum) -> garythenuke (EBMM forum Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California) -> unknown -perhaps Strontium Dog (Kevin, somewhere UK) -> Playground_Martyr (BC-er) -> ryancowell25 -> cocco (BC-er) -> Robert Manning (BC-er) -> mikegatward (BC-er) -> cloudburst (BC-er)

This little Bongo stops here. I have fallen in love.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

Used the Bongo in the studio tonight for the first time.

By far the easiest bass to play - it plays itself really.

However, found myself cutting right through the mix.

So the Bongo requires discipline. All that power and all those tones. Just because it can, doesn't mean you should. But oh - it's so so tempting. It's a bit like trying to drive a Ferrari slowly.

Singer - she loved it. Wanted it even further up the mix. Further up the mix indeed - it's almost a bass concerto ffs!

The drummer was complaining he couldn't hear the guitarist :-) And the guitarist seemed a bit put out.

CB

Congrats! Can't say I'm surprised really. Even to my noobly senses, the Bongo evidenced soo immediately that it's a beast, and even I realised it plays the bass for me.

Love the Ferrari and concerto notions. I may use them. You tolerant about copyrights?

BTW, CB, do you know what that colour of yours is called? I'm pretty sure it's the same as mine, and I couldn't find out about my colour definitely on the EBMM site. Your picture was a lot clearer.

Ok, I buy that it's great - and the burnt orange has received my approval... though I think I'd prefer the matt black version they do; but...

... what's [i]so[/i] different about the pre-amp?

Am I getting something different than hitting up an HH Stingray?

I was quite late to the Stingray camp, though am now a massive fan - as my PM history with Gareth will attest to!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1341915435' post='1725967']
Ok, I buy that it's great - and the burnt orange has received my approval... though I think I'd prefer the matt black version they do; but...

... what's [i]so[/i] different about the pre-amp?

I was quite late to the Stingray camp, though am now a massive fan - as my PM history with Gareth will attest to!
[/quote]

It's a 4 band 18v pre, whereas the Stingray is a 3 band 9v. Plus the neo magnet pickups and the fact that it has destructive properties when amplified.

Liam

@BassTractor - feel free to paraphrase and flatter. As some of the forum members who have seen my RBS 'Glitch' cartoon will testify, I have no issue with copyright. Now if only my music were worth protecting... And ref colour, mine is Sapphire Black.

@Gusto - I had a StingRay in the late 80's. Now admittedly it was a 4H (before the 4HH existed I think) and had the jack socket in the front control plate (however many eqs that represents). But it was really nothing like this Bongo at all. Actually - in terms of sound, tonal range and power, IIRC I reckon my StingRay had more in common with my Jazz Bass than my Bongo would have in common with my StingRay.

CB

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1341915435' post='1725967']
[/quote]

If I understand what's written on the Music Man forum correctly, then the StingRay HH has retained much of the typical SR H sound in its pushiness, despite the bridge humbucker being closer to the bridge than the original H was.

Same forum tells me that a Bongo can never imitate an SR and an SR will never do a Bongo. The Sterling is said to be inbetween them.

In my noobly experience, the four band eq on the Bongo is especially important for the two mids when choosing character. The bass and treble regulators are just that, and of course important enough in their own right, but still. It's not too difficult to come close to a P sound for example, so whatever the deviation, functionally it will do old Motown. Remember: noob talking.

Part of the joy in owning a Bongo is the comfort for the plucking hand. For me personally it's also the nitro neck paint that feels very quick and very secure at the same time. Haven't tried with sweaty fingers though.
Plus it's a Bongo fer cryin out loud!

Y M Does V

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1341946451' post='1726872']
If I understand what's written on the Music Man forum correctly, then the StingRay HH has retained much of the typical SR H sound in its pushiness, despite the bridge humbucker being closer to the bridge than the original H was.

Same forum tells me that a Bongo can never imitate an SR and an SR will never do a Bongo. The Sterling is said to be inbetween them.

In my noobly experience, the four band eq on the Bongo is especially important for the two mids when choosing character. The bass and treble regulators are just that, and of course important enough in their own right, but still. It's not too difficult to come close to a P sound for example, so whatever the deviation, functionally it will do old Motown. Remember: noob talking.

Part of the joy in owning a Bongo is the comfort for the plucking hand. For me personally it's also the nitro neck paint that feels very quick and very secure at the same time. Haven't tried with sweaty fingers though.
Plus it's a Bongo fer cryin out loud!

Y M Does V
[/quote]

The HH Rays have the bridge H in exactly the same place, same with the Sterlings. But, the Bongo HH places it closer to the bridge. which is kinda why I went for it, to get a different tone.

Totally different beasts. The Bongo is much more modern, stupidly powerful, but a Ray is a classic tone.

In terms of the controls on the Bongo:

I've found the low-mid control and the bass control to be particularly powerful when boosting.
I can get closest to a vintage precision as follows (bearing in mind that we all hear things differently).

Pickup pan - centre detent
Low-mid - centre detent
High-mid - full off (cut)
Bass - full off (cut) and then roll on about 2mm max
Treble - full off (cut)

Hope this helps. Would be interested to hear your trials, disagreements, tweaks.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1341941828' post='1726711']
ref colour, mine is Sapphire Black.[/quote]

Thanks, man!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1341946599' post='1726878']
The HH Rays have the bridge H in exactly the same place, same with the Sterlings.[/quote]

Ah! Thanks for correcting me.

The Bongo love just grows and grows.
This particular instrument is so beautiful to play.
I'm genuinely mystified at how many sets of hands it has gone through on both sides of the Atlantic (see the list of owners in my earlier post).
Question for regular forum GASers --- Is it normal for basses to get moved around so much? I really don't get it at all.

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1342558847' post='1737173']
The Bongo love just grows and grows.
This particular instrument is so beautiful to play.
I'm genuinely mystified at how many sets of hands it has gone through on both sides of the Atlantic (see the list of owners in my earlier post).
Question for regular forum GASers --- Is it normal for basses to get moved around so much? I really don't get it at all.

CB
[/quote]

I've learnt my lesson. If I like an instrument I just keep it unless I really have to sell for emergency money. I just keep collecting haha.

Here's mine. Mahogany with a BE Maple neck, one of 2 built (The other is an H-S and belongs to Dave LaRue)
They soon will be shipping the Sunburst 'Hog Bongos as a PDN offering from MM.

How, you ask, does an HH Mahogany Bongo sound?

Haha. Very nice, thangu.! B)

[quote name='Eljay' timestamp='1342560162' post='1737206']
Here's mine. Mahogany with a BE Maple neck, one of 2 built (The other is an H-S and belongs to Dave LaRue)
They soon will be shipping the Sunburst 'Hog Bongos as a PDN offering from MM.

How, you ask, does an HH Mahogany Bongo sound?

Haha. Very nice, thangu.! B)
[/quote]

I really wanted the burst Bongo but the UK doesn't seem to get involved with the Ltd instruments quite so much.