Why become a member? ×

Strange hand sensation

squire5

I was involved in a heavy session (musical) last night in our local dive.About 6 guys with acoustics,me on acoustic bass,and during a pretty vigorous version of the Small Faces 'Sha la la la lee',my right hand suddenly,for want of a better word,seized.I could not get my fingers to do what I wanted.No pain whatsoever,but it was as if I had no control.At one point my index and 2nd fingers curled up and I couldn't uncurl them.This lasted about a minute and then was fine,but for the rest of the night,I felt as if it was just about to happen again.One of the guys said it was because of my forearm resting on the sharp edge of the bass,which it was,and could have been causing some sort of nerve or muscle problem.
Anybody ever had this?Didn't like it,by the way!

Your friend was right. The fact that you were resting your forearm on the sharp edge of the bass, is a strongest suspect as to the source of your problem IMO. Doing this, inhibits the tendons from working freely. Try to keep both wrists as straight as possible.

Other things you can do is to warm up before a practice session ( and down afterwards) or gig, with gentle stretches. Search You Tube for "hand stretches for guitar". Staying well hydrated also helps things to run smoothly.

Sounds like cramp

But interesting question, being self taught, never had any taught input into how best to hold/play bass - you see some players with it up around their neck, some slung low, anyone with thoughts on advised alignment of arms, wrists etc?

To me,cramp is always associated with pain.There is no pain at all.Probably due to the fact that I was sitting down,and had the bass on my knee without a strap,my arm had to rest on the edge of the bass.I should add that this has happened before,in the same situation.In the same pub in the same seat,with the same bass actually.(RSI? Could be,definitely! :D )

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1340967224' post='1712111']
To me,cramp is always associated with pain.There is no pain at all.
[/quote]

Cramp does not mean 'pain'. Cramp is merely the muscle contracting and not being able to be controlled. I often get my hand cramping with fingers pointing in wrong directions and am unable to straighten them....I also find that the little finger side of my palm, on the edge, will twist up too. There is no pain but it is cramp. Rubbing the forearm (it is generally muscles in the forearm that are cramping and this is manifesting itself through the immobility of the fingers) normally relieves it.

I also have other problems with my right hand as for several years now I have been numb from the tip of my ring and little finger, all alonmg the back of my forearm to my elbow. This has reduced the grip strength in my right hand so much that I can no longer play with a pick! This was caused by nerve damage in my neck due to a slipped disc.

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1340961580' post='1711992']
Sounds like cramp

But interesting question, being self taught, never had any taught input into how best to hold/play bass - you see some players with it up around their neck, some slung low, anyone with thoughts on advised alignment of arms, wrists etc?
[/quote]

Whichever hurts least for you. :)
I find having the bass really low to put the strings at the end of my right arm helps a lot more than having it up high for the left hand. jaunty angle helps with that. :)
Others find the exact opposite, but if my right arm isn't straight, my shoulder give me absolute hell afterwards/during playing.

Sounds like cramp

[/quote]

Check this out:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqx5Bry2aYE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqx5Bry2aYE[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDbh0buYHE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDbh0buYHE[/url]

This guy talks a lot of good sense when it comes to bass playing - one of the best teachers (IMO) on the net.

Had same last rehearsal although on my left hand. No pain but index finger curled in and kind of locked. No control to straighten without pushing with other hand.
In 35 yrs playing I've never encountered this although it was 5 hrs into a 6hr rehearsal and i was giving it big licke and enjoying the feel that day.
I definately was playing harder than usual. I had done warm up exercises before actually playing.

I gave it 10mins rest with some easy stretches on my hands and arms and got back into it for last hour but felt it could come back at any time. It didn't.

Not sure if maybe i had done something when bringing my gear into studio ???

Dave

Watch out. Sitting down can mean your wrist is in that nasty curled position. Which can cause all sorts of problems. I have carpal tunnel (which you don't want to get) and I recommend standing up when you're playing so that your wrist is as straight as possible.

Sounds like cramp

[/quote]

To each their own as far as the wearing height is concerned. However, wear the bass to high and the plucking hand/wrist will suffer. Too low and the fretting hand suffers. The general accepted compromise is to wear it with the main body of the bass at around belt buckle level.

OP, it is a good idea to wear a strap when sitting. The ideal thing is to have it at the same position for both standing and sitting. Belt buckle level is best for this.

I still maintain that you resting your arm on the bass is the chief culprit for your problem.

Yeah,I think it must be that Coilte.It's the only time it has happened,ie sitting down,no strap,acoustic bass.It has never happened with electric bass standing.But as Twigman said,it could be cramp,and rubbing my arm between wrist and elbow did actually help,but as i said,it felt as if it wasn't far from happening again.I always thought cramp involved severe pain tho' Not so,it seems.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1340976056' post='1712317']
I always thought cramp involved severe pain tho' Not so,it seems.
[/quote]

I am not an expert in this, but I do take an interest in the general health/injury side of bass playing. Here is a great site you may like to browse at your leisure. Lots of constructive information here.

[url="http://chriskeuken.nl/health.html"]http://chriskeuken.nl/health.html[/url]

I def don't wear my bass at correct height, though not far off. I knew all about the 'same strap adjustment as when sitting' and every time I've done it when I stand up it feels like it's up round my armpits. So I must in theory be actually slightly lower than ideal for my preferred strap length when playing standing up. I feel very little change in my hand positions when going from sitting to standing so I doubt I'm very much lower than ideal. I did once suffer the same symptoms as the OP at the end of a long set during one of our encores. It was embarassing as it was a song where the singer briefly introduced the band and we did a very short solo each. My hand had locked up so much I just had to signal him to leave me out and move on to the next band member. It was absolutley 100% due down to me overplaying and digging in too much while playing fingerstyle and not being relaxed enough (it was a bit of ahigh profile gig for us at the time even though it was just a pub). I got my hand loosened up just enough to grip a pick and finish the last song that way. Never happened since though and I recall another bass player recently telling me after I'd played how he liked my 'light touch' so I guess I have changed style a bit as I've matured!

Edited by KevB

I get the same problem now and again but never had it before I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis, look it up and check for other symptoms, its unlikely as its super rare but better safe than sorry, mine is drug controlled and I cope well with playing.

G...

I've often wondered if Peter Hook goes off stage at the end of the night in agony.Ever tried that stance?With the bass round your ankles?Personally I think it looks ridiculous,and you certainly would not have full control of fingerboard or r/h positioning.That has got to be uncomfortable.He probably thinks to himself "Why did I ever start playing in this bloody position?" The things we do for rock'n'roll.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1340977376' post='1712342']
I am not an expert in this, but I do take an interest in the general health/injury side of bass playing. Here is a great site you may like to browse at your leisure. Lots of constructive information here.

[url="http://chriskeuken.nl/health.html"]http://chriskeuken.nl/health.html[/url]
[/quote]

Good basic info on this website. Appreciated
thanks
Dave

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1340991280' post='1712618']
I've often wondered if Peter Hook goes off stage at the end of the night in agony.Ever tried that stance?With the bass round your ankles?Personally I think it looks ridiculous,and you certainly would not have full control of fingerboard or r/h positioning.That has got to be uncomfortable.He probably thinks to himself "Why did I ever start playing in this bloody position?" The things we do for rock'n'roll.
[/quote]

I've heard he now suffers from some kind of damage at the top of his spine.