Why become a member? ×

Jeff Ament's Mike Lull T-Birds

Grassie

Saw Jeff playing these during Pearl Jam's set at the Isle of Wight Festival last night. The minty green one is one lovely looking bass, and has not helped my GAS at all. Mr. Lull makes some nice '51 style P-basses too, shame they're so bloody expensive! :o :lol:

Edited by Grant

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1340567040' post='1706384']
Is this on iPlayer or something?...
[/quote]

I think only 2 songs were televised.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RHsrAszROo[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THgFV_kdhH4[/media]

Can I just say how much I LOVE Strats, and I'm quite upset that I've never been in a band with a guitarist using a decent Strat. What a fantastic tone. Exactly what a guitar should be...not going into the bass territory and sticking with nice spikey mids and springy highs.

Lulls are the dogs bollocks, I've had US Spectors, Warwicks, Fenders, Stingrays, GBs, and a variety of other hi-end basses but nothing makes me as happy as my passive V5 and PJ5 basses. Am sure a T will be added at some point.

[quote name='orangepeelneil' timestamp='1340919434' post='1711660']
Yeah I love Jeff Ament, but three amps and a total of 28 speakers live just seems slightly excessive... :o[/quote]

There are a lot of different heads up there - so surely he wouldn't have been using all of them? B)

The Ashdown is used for the upright, that's the constant over the years. As far as I remember, the others are effectively used as different rigs for different sounds. His pedal board/signal chain is very complex too.

If you look at the one Marshall it has "2x10's" where the logo should be - anyone know how he runs his heads/cabs now?

I've seen six shows on this Euro tour so far with two to go and I must say its the best Jeff's ever sounded. His sound is really nice and cuts through well whereas in the past it had a tendency to be slightly muddy. The Lull he uses on Rearviewmirror sounds epic during the reprise section.

I love JA; one of all time favourites :-)

Also, is that a Lull guitar that Mike is using on some songs? Has the same look as Jeff's basses.

Edited by Sean

• 6 months later...

Yes, the ashdown is only for the upright bass.

Jeff has always used vintage Ampeg SVTs for as long as Ive known the majority of the time, his set up usually consists of three big tube heads and the ashdown for the upright bass. Quite often the ampegs are in custom cases.
Now though, as from 2012, for Pearl Jam jeff has been using the Fender Super Bassman head as his main amp, with the two custom cases either side, (more than likely backup SVTs).

For his current side project, RNDM, I have noticed he is also using the Fender 100T, which is basically a slightly lower powered Super Bassman. Jeffs 100T amps for this tour were custom orange covered.
I also use the 100T and it is amazing. I bought mine before Jeff started using the Fenders, and as a huge Pearl Jam fan (hence my username), I was stoked when I saw Jeff had also switched to these new Bassman amps.