Why become a member? ×

Too Many Mistakes

norvegicusbass

After a hell of a long layoff from playing I picked up a bass again some eighteen months ago. I love playing it but cant seem to get through a song without making a mistake here and there. I would class the songs I play as beginner to intermediate, songs like Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, The Stranglers Nice N Sleazy, Led Zep's Ramble On and Celebration Day and songs of that ilk. When I played as a young lad I cant recall making so many mistakes but I seem to get a bit self conscious even when playing by myself. Eighteen months seems long enough to me to be able to play songs a bit more fluently than I do. Anyone else plagued by mistakes?

You say mistakes, I say jazz notes!

I make plenty of them when it's just me by myself. That's the best time to make them, you can correct what is going wrong. Once i'm playing with another person things generally go well.

[quote name='Gungr' timestamp='1340469564' post='1704950']
You say mistakes, I say jazz notes!

I make plenty of them when it's just me by myself. That's the best time to make them, you can correct what is going wrong. Once i'm playing with another person things generally go well.
[/quote]
Love your description of a mistake "Jazz Notes" ! makes me feel better already. Do you think players are more prone to making mistakes when by themselves?

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1340469368' post='1704946']
After a hell of a long layoff from playing I picked up a bass again some eighteen months ago. I love playing it but cant seem to get through a song without making a mistake here and there. I would class the songs I play as beginner to intermediate, songs like Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, The Stranglers Nice N Sleazy, Led Zep's Ramble On and Celebration Day and songs of that ilk. When I played as a young lad I cant recall making so many mistakes but I seem to get a bit self conscious even when playing by myself. Eighteen months seems long enough to me to be able to play songs a bit more fluently than I do. Anyone else plagued by mistakes?
[/quote]
1 Practice.
2 Don't panic.
3 Keep calm and carry on - almost all of your audience didn't know it was a mistake anyway and those who did know it was a mistake have probably made it themselves.
4 Remember the mistake and try not to repeat it, unless it's in the way VW repeats it.

Ah. Mr Cameron was ahead of me on pointing you to Victor W. If you're the reading kind, I can recommend his book 'The Music Lesson'. Fairly cheap in paperback from a certain Amazonian reseller.

I've been playing 'live' for about 40 years now. Most of my work is now done in a church setting (average twice a week), but I still set myself high standards. I reckon that I've never played a set without making at least one mistake. But, the thing is, [i]generally no one apart from me notices.[/i]
I sometimes think that the curse of recorded music is that it has made us all expect perfection.

Don't despair - onwards and upwards!

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1340473256' post='1705046']
A potter once told me that the ancient Chinese believed that only the gods could create perfect things so Chinese potters deliberately build imperfections into their work to avoid offending them.
My playing has never offended the gods.
[/quote]
LOL My playing wouldnt offend the potters

I make heaps of mistakes, to the point I sometimes wonder how I maintain my place in a band. A gig I did last year the covers band I was in did Layla and I remember looking at the fretboard and forgetting how to play the verse, I knew the notes but not the order so sort of fudged it. There were other mistakes. At the end of the gig the bass player from our singer's other band, who's a very good player, came up and said I was awesome... :blink:

Everybody makes mistakes, if they say they don't they're probably lying :)

Great little clip from VW, I did like that. I must be odd though because I thought that 'wrong' note sounded interesting from the start :) Perhaps that says something about my own playing.

so long as it doesn't throw the rest of the band in any way mistakes usually go unnoticed. Did play with a guitarist who once came in early and left the rest of us trying to figure out how to get back on the right chords/sections on the fly. That one nearly actually stopped the show and must have been noticable, thankfully not me though.

Twigman - you totally got away with that, didn't notice a thing until the end and then only because you mentioned it.

Edited by garethfriend

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1340469368' post='1704946']
After a hell of a long layoff from playing
Anyone else plagued by mistakes?
[/quote]

Here's my take. YMMV.

From the look of it, my first guess would be that your brain needs to be reprogrammed again. Larger parts of the brain than available now need to be programmed for this job. Only concentrated practice will do that.
As always, do not practise at full speed, or practise for speed. Practise for correctness. Thus you press the brain to set apart more cells for this, and the brain processes thus get stronger and quicker. Sadly, there's an age aspect here, but happily even old brains can still learn.

Of course you know that getting inhibitied or similar is not helping, so you'll need to find ways to do away with it. You know yourself best, but an example might be to keep telling yourself that making mistakes is both OK and temporary.

Maybe not related to your case, but I feel there's a devil in practising too early at full speed, as is often done when one plays along the CD track. Each error gets programmed, each negative feeling about errors gets programmed. It's simply not the way to do it, and very inefficient.

Since I'm on a rant at any rate, here's an alternative approach that some might benefit from. It can be trained, and I would advise doing it on one song only, to start with.
How about just reading the part without playing it, again and again, thinking through what the part needs to convey and how it should be played technically (which finger when where how), making notes in the score/tabs, and producing stronger and stronger mental images of you playing the song. Again: [b]slowly[/b].
For every concert I needed to prepare back when I was a musician, I would have one piece that was trained like that whilst I was commuting by train. I'd need three to six months to build a concert program, but that one piece would only be physically played during the last week or so, just to check and iron out stuff. My fingers (the brain really) were already programmed before that last week.

I hope this can be of help to you or someone else.
Good luck!