Why become a member? ×

My new function band!

TomKent

Recorded at a studio in London (I forget which), with 3 hours rehearsal before and 2 hours filming. I was lagging something major by the time we came to filming (had been up since 6am ish and this was 5pm ish). Used a GMR Soundboard 5 NT loaned from the nice guys at GMR because I was going to Wales before I went home and didn't fancy carrying tons of equipment to town with me. Wicked wicked bass! Think I went through a Trace Elliot on the day too..? :)

Enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJnXjwWHm3w&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1340297556' post='1702537']
Great video mate..... really really don't like the vocal performance though. Hope that's not too harsh
[/quote]

I'm with you on this I'm afraid Crez.

My attempt at constructive criticism is:

Vid quality is good & some of the instruments sound great but the lead vox is weak & doesn't seem to sit nicely in the mix to me (certainly not on my home hifi anyway).

For a corporate audience (the big payers for function bands) the vid might almost be too much like a promo vid for a band's single because of all the close ups & cutting from musician to musician. Could be that I'm an old duffer but there's a bit of a feel of a cameraman showing off his chops & post production skills rather than capturing the band to sell to a prospective customer.

From personal experience (my wife books bands for pretty big money) the bookers are looking for full band shots, on stage, with lights &, ideally, a live audience to show lots of people dancing.

Great playing from Mr K though :)

The playings really good from all of you Tom, just seems a little [i]too [/i]polished.

Also a side note, theres a couple of moments in that song that will make other musicians smile with delight, but ultimately on a dance floor make punters look around and try and figure why they stopped dancing, what seems like nothing to a studio room full of musicians make's a difference on the show IME. It's just finding the balance.

I'm sorry to say i'm not a fan of the vocals either, can work out what it is. She can sing, no denying that. Might just be the mix.

But saying all that, great playing all round :)

Pretty good! Agree with the above about the vox though, very sorry. :) But my main gripe is... your guitarist can't be playing in a function band in a t-shirt. And certainly not on your promo vid. I'm not suggesting you all wear matching sparkly suits, but your clients are going to expect a certain level of presentation re dress. You can't have your punters better dressed than you are. :D

Edit: Personally I hate dressing up in a suit to play gigs - another of the many reasons I left my function band.
I sure do miss the cash though! :lol:

Edited by discreet

Sounds like I am jumping on the bandwagon, but yeh the vocals are your weakest link. Kinda see this all the time, amazing musicians, structures, tunes, breakdowns etc. and the vocals kill it.

Not that your local punter will notice much (take into account us basschat folk notice all! :) and you guys will certainly get plenty of work, as again you are all fantastic musicians :)

Cheers for the replies guys! I had no say on the video edit, we've had tons of a bookings from it though so I can't complain (like a years worth of bookings - I'm having to dep dates out!). I try my up most to be professional for a function band, so if full blacks are required and everyone else is wearing shirts, then I'll be wearing a shirt too. As for the vocalist, as this is a public forum (it'll come up on Google anyway) I won't pass any opinion to stay.. professional'ish! Inbox me for my feelings! :D

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1340629403' post='1707237']
I had no say on the video edit, we've had tons of a bookings from it though so I can't complain... I try my up most to be professional for a function band, so if full blacks are required and everyone else is wearing shirts, then I'll be wearing a shirt too. As for the vocalist, as this is a public forum (it'll come up on Google anyway) I won't pass any opinion to stay.. professional'ish![/quote]

The bottom line with a function band is whether you work or not, so the vid has obviously done the trick.
Good luck, and please could you lend me a tenner 'til Friday?! ;)

Tom, I always look at the function band sites, here and on Talkbass, and I'm generally disappointed by the standard, but this sounds good.

The main point for me, is that you should have paid more attention to the visual presentation of the band. Clients like to see what they are going to get, but while the jeans and t shirts might put some off, generally clients aren't going to be deconstructing the playing or even the sound on this vid.

Could it be better? Yes. I'd go along with what the others have said, but as a starting point for a new band it puts you in a very strong position on which to build.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1340643508' post='1707486']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]just fyi thats the live room at resident studios in Willesden Green, nice sound mate i used to play with Josh (your drummer) when he did the master performance at Tech [/font]
[/quote]

haha sick! I'm there on sunday. Seems to be a good sound

First of all, you will no doubt out play me by a mile. I wish I had the time to play more often but my career couldn't be more opposite from music haha!

Slick presentation. Good bass playing.

My criticism would be the mix. The guitar tone is 'not for me' at all, but thats just personal opinion. I'm not 100% keen on the bass tone (needs a bit more ommph and low mid) but your playing is brilliant!

Vocals seem pretty damn good, but sometimes too low in the mix (the guitar grit seems to get in the way).

PS - The low notes on Rihanna sound great! That's what I meant about more meaty, and that does it :)

The JT song sounds great. Wish I could hear the drums kick in at the beginning...but its of the middle part.

I know you need ultra professionalism in this game, but maybe a few more shots of you guys/girl really 'getting into it'. There is nothing better than seeing a band really enjoying it.

Don't know what you guys are on about, tbh.... the girl will do..as long as you pick tracks for the market rather than what you want to funk out on.
She is attractive and can hold a tune ... just give her a chance to shine rather than the band as she will be the focal point so why hamstring her...?

Forget Chaka Khan..as that is a step too far for 99.9% of girls and does your market care about those sort of songs ?... great track but not
a corporate gig must-do.

The best functions bands I know...are slick on their presentation more than the music itself..as in some ways that is secondary.
I think you need to fill out the BV's to get top hotel work but you'll do fine if everything else is in place.
You might need more than one main vocal as well..as girls can get very tiring to listen to all night.
This girl has more about her voice but you still might need a change and tbh..you probably need another instrument.
If you added a second main vox with an instrument... you'd easily get that back in the fee, IMO.

As long as the overall sound, general kit and approach is pro, the playing, IME..is the least of it.
Strange but true.

As a promo..I think it will serve a purpose with an agent rather than direct corporate clients as it isn't slick enough for them.
A chilled filmed rehearsal situation isn't what they will want to see, IMO, so stills might work better on an actual gig
but it depends what money you are going for.
£16-2000 will pitch you against some good outfits who have everything sorted and already have the gigs. You have to present as well or better than them...
and you may blow them off musically..or not, but that isn't what make the difference..it is vox and material and the ability to turn virtually every gig your way.
People pay money because they know what the bottom line will be..and nothing is left to much of a chance.