Why become a member? ×

Interesting way of lowering your action on your Jazz!!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-/261047531656?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cc7a53888#ht_500wt_1361"]http://www.ebay.co.u...8#ht_500wt_1361[/url]

Never seen this way before, or is it just me?

Edited by jimbobothy

It doesn't even make sense on any level. How would deepening the pocket lower the action. I would not only give the guitar a wide berth I also reckon the seller needs to be avoided at all costs, he has a chisel and he ain't afraid to use it. Aaaaaaggggghhhhhh.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340076102' post='1698743']
This is one of the ones Mark D Philips didn't want to be seen with :lol:
[/quote]
Old Marky D would put a bit of spin on it though and filled in that gap with some window putty and sand it down smooth as Leo would have intended, so as to enhance the acoustic resonance on a sonic level but not interfere with its audible integrity. Throw in a few pictures of him in the garden with some dancing kids and hey presto you've got a marketing extravaganza.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1340091397' post='1698816']
Old Marky D would put a bit of spin on it though and filled in that gap with some window putty and sand it down smooth as Leo would have intended, [b]so as to enhance the acoustic resonance on a sonic level but not interfere with its audible integrity.[/b] Throw in a few pictures of him in the garden with some dancing kids and hey presto you've got a marketing extravaganza.
[/quote]

:D

But that makes far too much sense for it to be one of his descriptions. You need to surreal it up a bit. :lol:

Apart from the fact that this poor bass is dead a couple of things bug me.

I don't think I would have guessed from those pics that the pocket had been chiselled out - it looks to me more like the whole pocket has been shimmed out with some scrappy material ... which in theory would (as he claims to have done) raise the action.

Also the windings, ok there may be too many winds for some but it does seem to have been strung by someone who knows the score and not by the type of spaz who'd carry out this level of butchery... so then why would someone bass savvy put it up at that ridiculous price - about £135 more than it's worth.

It's got to be a joke auction or something.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1340099673' post='1698947']...I don't think I would have guessed from those pics that the pocket had been chiselled out - it looks to me more like the whole pocket has been shimmed out with some scrappy material ... which in theory would (as he claims to have done) raise the action.
...[/quote]
Er, he claimed to have lowered the action, not raised it. And yes, from the pictures it does look like a shim, which would have been sensible, but in the text he says he used a chisel because of not having a router - whereas if it were just a shim, what was he planning to use a router for? My guess is that what looks like a shim is the top edge of the original body wood that has been taken off by his careless chiselling.

It is comprehensible if you've never heard of shimming.
"I need to lower the action.
I can do that by tipping the neck angle backwards.
Therefore I need to remove a shallow wedge of wood from the outer edge of the neck pocket."

Shame he didn't actually ask someone with some experience or some sense of it as an instrument.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1340114825' post='1699308']
It is comprehensible if you've never heard of shimming.
"I need to lower the action.
I can do that by tipping the neck angle backwards.
Therefore I need to remove a shallow wedge of wood from the outer edge of the neck pocket."

Shame he didn't actually ask someone with some experience or some sense of it as an instrument.
[/quote]

far easier to just insert a slice of business card at the heel end of the pocket :rolleyes:

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1340114245' post='1699287']
Er, he claimed to have lowered the action, not raised it. ...
[/quote]

Haha if I had a penny for every one of my posts you've found fault with this last year.... I'd have about oooh £2.19p :D
Yes I got it wrong... a slip of the tongue. Woop-de-doo. I'm sure everyone knew what I meant.