Why become a member? ×

NME: Greatest basslines

jaydentaku

I stumbled upon this. Its obviously a personal thing, but the author really has made a totally half arsed attempt with this.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=1&title=10_greatest_basslines&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

What's yours greatest baseline and what makes it so great?

bless

does her mum know shes out and about in the big bad world pretending to be a journo :shok:

edit - too many to choose one absolute best so heres one that springs to mind

[url="http://youtu.be/9pb-8bdhogs"]http://youtu.be/9pb-8bdhogs[/url]

Edited by steve-bbb

I think my fave bassline, both to play, and listen to is either Pump it Up, played by Bruce Thomas in Elvis Costello & The Attractions, or It`s too Bad, played by Bruce Foxton, of The Jam.

Neither particularly difficult, but I like what they actually add to the songs, without getting in the way. Both songs would be a lot different, without such good melodic lines.

I almost didn't click on the article, because I knew exactly what to expect and knew that I'd end up getting annoyed. Needless to say, after reading the article, I'm annoyed. But NME don't have a clue, and never will!

I don't know if I have a favourite bass line as such, but the one at always springs to mind as perfectly crafted is Paul McCartney's part on 'Something'. A bass line is only as good at the song it was played on.

Edited by risingson

For me, its Music for Chameleons. I decided to dig out my then only bass guitar from under the bed, learn it and realise that to play it like he did, I needed a fretless, which at the time, I didn't know existed.

It reunited my interested in performing music and since then I have come a long way.

'jaydentaku'
For me, its Music for Chameleons. I decided to dig out my then only bass guitar from under the bed, learn it and realise that to play it like he did, I needed a fretless, which at the time, I didn't know existed.

It reunited my interested in performing music and since then I have come a long way.

MB1. B)
Your not Alan Partridge... are you? :unsure:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1339958038' post='1696823']
'jaydentaku'

MB1. B)
Your not Alan Partridge... are you? :unsure:
[/quote]

I have a static home and I like Sunny Delight...

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1339955884' post='1696773']
I almost didn't click on the article, because I knew exactly what to expect and knew that I'd end up getting annoyed. Needless to say, after reading the article, I'm annoyed. But NME don't have a clue, and never will!

[/quote]

+1.
'twas ever thus.

Favourire bass line tho'....
Now that's a poser. At the moment Andy Fraser on Creepin'. But that's just cos I 'm going thru a bit of a Free phase.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1339960091' post='1696879']
+1.
'twas ever thus.

Favourire bass line tho'....
Now that's a poser. At the moment Andy Fraser on Creepin'. But that's just cos I 'm going thru a bit of a Free phase.
[/quote]

mmmm Mr Big........bass solo...run for the hills!!!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1339960473' post='1696892']

mmmm Mr Big........bass solo...run for the hills!!!
[/quote]

Fan bloody tastic IMO. And it's got one of the best drum intros ever. Listening to it right now and feeling a bit fuzzy
That could be the vodka tho ...

[quote name='TonyBones' timestamp='1339961122' post='1696912']
Bruce Foxton "In the crowd" does just what it should................... no more no less, drives the song to perfection Imo!

[media]http://youtu.be/KoTiJaFUfMA[/media]
[/quote]

Bruce Foxton was one of the first bassists I 'took seriously' and made an effort to work out his stuff. Didn't learn a lot to be honest but his parts for The Jam always contributed a lot, and I think even now I try to be a bit like him, singing harmony and trying to add hooks on the bass where not much is going on.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1339960741' post='1696900']
Argh poorly researched article is poorly researched! This just really seems like a quickly thrown together filler, handed to an intern... who couldn't be bothered to do it properly. More respect lost for NME.
[/quote]

I particularly like the way that Flea is the first thing you see, yet he isn't actually included. Which is fair enough, but Daft Punk and Interpol (?) is.

awesome