Why become a member? ×

Oh No! My bass is broken.

bertbass

Got to the gig last night, set the gear up. Tuned the spare bass and got the main bass out of its case. I went to tune up and what's going on here, no sound. Quickly took the scratch plate off to check the battery and loose wires, it all looked OK took 2 minutes to dash across the road to the new Asda, I knew it was new 'cause it said so on the sign outside and bought a new PP3 even though I sort of knew it wasn't that. Put the new battery in, put the screws back in, I really must put a battery compartment in sometime, and the bass worked again. Strange, must have been the battery after all. Tuned up and then checked the P.A. Yes I'm the only one who knows how it all works.

Started the sound check and no bass again, what? No time to mess around so I used the spare for the night and a great night it was. The audience loved it and we loved it.

Now, the day after, I've got to find out why my bass stopped working. It's probably a wire come off or the switched jack broken but I've now got the time and the light to find the fault.

The moral of the story is, a spare bass is worth its weight in gold. So for those who have asked, do I really need to take a spare bass with me, the answer if a resounding YES!!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339936972' post='1696437']
The scary side of active basses that don't have a passive option.
[/quote]

Indeed, I only have one purely active bass now (RD Artist) and due to its ridiculous complexity if it breaks then I reckon I'll have to take it to the electrical engineering department at my work or cry or probably both ;)

I'll second taking a spare, as I found out a couple of weeks ago when a string let go one song into a set......luckily had the spare up and ready, so it was 'click, clunk, rock!' and on with the show! (and it shut up the singer who had kept on saying 'why do you need to bring two guitars along (I'll let him off the faux pas, he doesn't know any better....) if you only play one of them...!?!')

Had a lovely dads' day dinner at a local pub with the family, roast lamb if you're interested and it was very nice! Returned home and got the bass out. It turned out that it's the jack socket, the one supplied by EMG with my ready wired PJ set. Take it out of the bass and there's nothing wrong with it, put it back in and it doesn't work, yes, one of those, so it's now in the bin. The insulation is obviously breaking down under stress, I'm glad that it didn't break down mid gig. I've fitted a new socket and it's ready for it's next session of abuse.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339965092' post='1697018']
I only own passive basses, this is one of the reasons! Both the actives I've owned have had electronics trouble... Plus I prefer the midrange and attack of a passive!
[/quote]

So your passive basses work with knackered jack sockets then? I will get my coat..........

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1339965329' post='1697021']
So your passive basses work with knackered jack sockets then? I will get my coat..........
[/quote]

For some reason I have never had any sort of equipment failure with my passive basses, not even on my 4 string thats been thrown about, dropped on concrete, the works! Might be something to do with them being made by Peavey (solid as a rock) but I just feel safer using them! :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1339965329' post='1697021']
[/quote]

actually... active basses normally have switching jack sockets. often enclosed
Them old fashioned passive basses often have cheaper open jack sockets - so yes cos you can pinch them together and mend them easily in an emergency . :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339974820' post='1697232']
actually... active basses normally have switching jack sockets. often enclosed
Them old fashioned passive basses often have cheaper open jack sockets - so yes cos you can pinch them together and mend them easily in an emergency . :)
[/quote]

Yeah, er, what he said :D