Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340457339' post='1704695']
I reckon Phil Mitchel is a very underrated Bass Player. You read all this technical twaddle on here, but he has the thing that nobody ever seems to mention - A great feel for Bass. Thats the other thing that you dont get from lessons, or do you ?
[/quote] Hey, Brancini. Yeah, Phil is underrated and is also a really nice guy. I think you are right about 'feel'. For me, I like to feel not only the music but also the strings, which is why I can't get on with a pick; can't even use one on a guitar. I reckon it's whatever suits thats best, and we should all be aiming for our own signature, but having a range of skills open doors. I don't think I'd go as far as Tony Levin though! As for lessons, if they inspire, great, if the lesson just says, 'be like me', not so great.

Blessings.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339794827' post='1694654']
Mostly just 15 year old kids who think just because they have learned how to play their favourite Mark King song using just their fingers,
[/quote]
I would suggest that, if you did a straw pole of 15 year olds, it would take a very, very long time before you find one who knows who Mark King is.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1340532525' post='1705613']
I would suggest that, if you did a straw pole of 15 year olds, it would take a very, very long time before you find one who knows who Mark King is.
[/quote]

Probably about the same amount of time it would take to find one who plays the bass...

I have nothing against someone using a pick, until it's coupled with a left hand with the thumb curled round over against the E string, and the little finger tucked in. Normally a sign of a thinking a bass is just an oversized guitar and should be played as such, or so I've often found.

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1340553067' post='1706079']
I have nothing against someone using a pick, until it's coupled with a left hand with the thumb curled round over against the E string, and the little finger tucked in. Normally a sign of a thinking a bass is just an oversized guitar and should be played as such, or so I've often found.
[/quote]

I assume you're being ironic?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1340555708' post='1706133']
occasionally but not always.
[/quote]

I think I would involuntarily laugh in someone's face for trying to draw lines like that if they were serious. Son House made amazing music by just singing and stamping his foot and clapping, I find that more 'real' than any soulless technical shredder on the bass or any other instrument. Music is as real as the passion that goes into it, impeccable technique is not even necessary to make great music. I don't use a pick but I wouldn't set myself apart from bass players who do, that would be like a slide guitar player being considered to be cheating because they tune to an open chord.

[quote name='surfinbernard' timestamp='1340558102' post='1706195']
I disagree, they are doing what they need to to get a certain sound. The skills involved are different, it still requires musicianship.
[/quote]

Hence the winky face. :)
(I also play slide guitar quite a lot btw)
Requires more musicianship in fact, as you can't go for big widdly passages, what with having the whole bar shape to work with. Really have to think ahead with your note choices.

.... and back to picks. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1340559455' post='1706230']
Hence the winky face. :)
(I also play slide guitar quite a lot btw)
Requires more musicianship in fact, as you can't go for big widdly passages, what with having the whole bar shape to work with. Really have to think ahead with your note choices.

.... and back to picks. :)
[/quote] ;)

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1340552697' post='1706069']
Well, my Violin bow didn't work. I did get some faint sounds from it but because of the shape of the Bass body I couldn't use it anywhere near the pick-ups. That was on roundwounds, I didn't bother trying flats.
[/quote]

It isn't really a very practical exercise.

First off, you need to make sure the bow is well rosined - that'll allow the bow to 'stick' to the strings, but also make the strings sticky to touch afterwards.

Second catch is that the pickups aren't going to expect the string to be vibrating in the way that they will when bowed, so IIRC they need to be switched out of phase.

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1340553067' post='1706079']
[/quote]

Not a Motörhead fan I take it? ;)

What's all this 'I don't mind people using picks' and 'I'm OK with people using picks' and 'Sure, use a pick if you like'?
I'm not asking anyone for permission! I don't give two SHlTS [i]who [/i]thinks it's OK or not for me to use a pick! And that's swearing. Get laminated, you perverted fingery freaks! I'll do what I damn well like!! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1340565224' post='1706348']
It isn't really a very practical exercise.

First off, you need to make sure the bow is well rosined - that'll allow the bow to 'stick' to the strings, but also make the strings sticky to touch afterwards.

Second catch is that the pickups aren't going to expect the string to be vibrating in the way that they will when bowed, so IIRC they need to be switched out of phase.
[/quote]
The bow was rosined and was working fine on my Violin. It occurred to me afterwards that I might have more luck with my Banjo, as the strings are similar to the Violin's. Though, again, I can't play over the body because the body is too wide and the strings too flat, so I probably wouldn't get much sound from it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340568216' post='1706425']
What's all this 'I don't mind people using picks' and 'I'm OK with people using picks' and 'Sure, use a pick if you like'?
I'm not asking anyone for permission! I don't give two SHlTS [i]who [/i]thinks it's OK or not for me to use a pick! And that's swearing. Get laminated, you perverted fingery freaks! I'll do what I damn well like!! :lol:
[/quote]

^ THIS.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340568216' post='1706425']
[/quote]

I'm ok with you you doing that, if you like, I really don't mind.