Why become a member? ×

How to get a deeper sound around Bf on the G string from a 5 string bass?

molan

The bass in my avatar is the one I have used for over 10yrs now- it is a great all round bass and def one I would recommend trying.
(Lakland 55-94)
Admittedly for the sound you are talking about it may not beat a Precision (jazz neck pickup sort of does it but not quite the same) but for flexibility it is a great bass.
Worth a go?

So a more upmarket 5 string with a good deep neck pickup, but with the ability to other tones too. Roscoe Beck V would do the trick IMO and there's one for sale here on BC http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179167-roscoe-beck-v-5-string-shoreline-gold-l1100-incl/ and it's already strung with flats IIRC

Edited by ezbass

Fat Finger is worth a try, or clamp a G clamp to the headstock and see if its a neck mass/resonance issue. And a detuner on a standard P bass might open up some range without needing a 5, although it won't go all the way to low B, depends how much of that 5th string he really needs.

I'm astonished he's not tried a Stingray 5H with flats - plucked around where the pick up is on a Precision. They do natural thump rather well. If you use the HH version you can use the inner coils setting, but the first suggestion should do it just as well.

I once saw a guy using an SR5H on a Stax soul show - got the Duck Dunn feel rather well.

Edited by drTStingray

I thought it was pretty normal for the first few frets of a string to sound tw***y and bright, getting darker/warmer as you go higher up the neck. Personally I would simply play the notes in a different position if I wanted that sound. If it's too dificult to do cleanly, or the player simply doesnt want to I'm not sure what I could suggest other than using multi-band compression to try and even the sound out but even that won't work completely.

EDIT: I can't believe i misspelt 'twangy' :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

I've been trying to think of other players out there with demanding MD's. Phil Mulford and Trevor Barry are at the top of their game in this area, and they use Overwater J and P basses. I believe Trevor Barry also uses G&L basses.

Nathan East uses his own signature Yamaha bass. He always sounds pretty "huge" to me.