Why become a member? ×

Fanned Frets

alstocko

Fanned frets allow the 'thicker' strings to have a longer scale length, and therefore better tension. My Dingwall has been a revelation; I love it, in fact my other basses get played much less these days. The E is IIRC, 36.25", while the G is a standard 34".

I'd recommend everyone try them, you may or may not get on with them (although they look much more unusual than they are to play), but they're certainly extraordinary. It may have something to do with the banjo frets and compound radius of the fretboard, whatever it is, it works for me.

As far as playing them goes, the first couple of frets are a little further apart, and the top half a dozen frets make chording, erm, a new experience, but everyone who's tried mine (and that's just about everyone who's seen it, it's the ultimate "Can I have a go mate?" bass) has been surprised at how unnoticeable the 'wonky' frets are when you're playing.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1339697869' post='1692997']
What does "better tension" achieve? Genuine question.
[/quote]

I assume he means "higher tension" ie on a 5-string the B-string won't feel like an elastic band.

I've always filed fanned frets under "cool technological innovations that solve problems I don't really care about" :lol:

I had a fanned feet shortie and it took about five minutes to get used to the spacing. The tiny frets were harder work but you just develop a lighter touch. Not sure I'd want a full scale fan but the string tension was better than a normal shortie

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339757935' post='1693784']
Does anyone make / play a fretless Fanned? Ie the bridge and nut being the fanned element.

A
[/quote]
Good question. So good, in fact, that I asked it myself a while back. :D
Look here for the answer:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/109356-just-bought-a-dingwall-afterburner-d/page__view__findpost__p__1013047"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1013047[/url]

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1339761945' post='1693879']
Good question. So good, in fact, that I asked it myself a while back. :D
Look here for the answer:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/109356-just-bought-a-dingwall-afterburner-d/page__view__findpost__p__1013047"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1013047[/url]

I knew that!! :P

[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339763036' post='1693901']
Bah! That's a lined fanned fretless ... where's the challenge in that?

:lol:
[/quote]

Yeah Im thinkin a bit more hardcore too. Although whimping out with a 12th marker may be acceptable to give you fighting chance and could double as a racing stripe at a rakish angle. :unsure:

A

EDIT:

Now we're talking :gas:

(Original; thread: [url="http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/134676-custom-headless-10-string-unlined-fanned-fretless-2.html"]http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/134676-custom-headless-10-string-unlined-fanned-fretless-2.html[/url] )

Edited by apa

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1339698398' post='1693007']
Right. It makes the strings like on a harp. Makes sense in my head now. Thanks.
[/quote]

I'd never thought of it before. Possibly also explains the shape of a grand piano. Ahhhh.......

I've not got one but played a fair few at Bass Direct, they definitely don't take too much to get used to but for me they are a solution to a problem I've never experienced and the cost of a Dingwall id want (above a Combustion) is currently beyond my means.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1339781130' post='1694357']
Know the feeling I think I have about £200 gathered up towards the black Super P :(
[/quote]

You've got £198.36 more than me! I think my super P is gonna be yellow. :sleep:

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1339780996' post='1694352']
I've not got one but played a fair few at Bass Direct, they definitely don't take too much to get used to but for me they are a solution to a problem I've never experienced and the cost of a Dingwall id want (above a Combustion) is currently beyond my means.
[/quote]

I have to agree. A solution to a problem that doesnt exist.... backed up by a marketing pack of physics mumbo jumbo. Its just like the hifi world...

If your curious, go try one because they certainly do feel "right" somehow. If you occasionally slide up the dusty end for the quick twiddle, then they are not so "right" and friendly. This just my impression though and with time I'm sure it can be adapted too????

As for the B-string needing to be 37" scale or even 35", it's not necassary because a decent bass with the right set of strings on it can sound spot on at a paltry 34". I guess it's easier to make a "B" sound good at the longer scales and de-tuning becomes possible too?

I can agree with the above comment. Most 5-strings I hear have decent to excellent sounding B-strings on the open note. The problem with shorter scales and thicker cored strings is in the fretted notes. It shows up as a "warbling" quality to the tone as the shorter harmonics are pushed out of tune by the stiffness of the string. The more you roll off your tone, the less you will notice this but it's still there.

As far as Multi-scale being a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I'll throw some problems and solutions out there. If you don't experience the problem then for you it doesn't exist.
Problem: B-strings are floppier and muddier sounding than the rest of the strings. This is pretty well documented so if you don't agree with this boy are you in the wrong thread LOL.
Solution 1: heavier guage string. Fixes the floppiness and let's you attack the B-string harder, lots of string choices, makes the muddy tone worse. Increases that harmonic warbling making the 5th frets and above pretty unuseable. Doesn't balance the tone across the strings. Makes the tone change more as you go up the neck.
Solution 2: lighter guage string (more importantly a lighter core string). Fixes the muddy tone, alows play further up the neck, causes less tone change as you play up the neck. Requires a much lighter touch - especially in comparison to the other strings. Does't help balance the tone across the strings. Limited string choices.
Solution 3: Longer scale. Fixes the muddy tone, fixes the tension. Makes the G and D strings tighter and more "stringy" sounding. Limited string choices. Does nothing to address the balance of tone across the strings but does help the tone balance up the neck.
Solution 4: Multi-scale. Fixes the muddy tone, fixes the tension - you can attack all strings equally, doesn't mess with the G and D strings, more even tone across the strings and up the neck is easier to mix. Requires fanned-frets and adjustment to them (easy for some, harder for others). Looks different. Fanned-fret basses are expensive. String choices limited to roughly 1 dozen brands.

Based on the above, multi-scale isn't a perfect solution but IMO provides the most comprehensive solution. If you aren't bothered by any of the above problems then "it's a solution for a problem you don't care about" is probably more accurate.

Physics mumbo jumbo? The physics are solid, just sit down at a good piano with your bass and compare the consistency of tone between the two. How does that apply? Think of all the concerts you've been to. The majority of the time which have been easier to hear clearly, the low notes of a piano or the low notes of an electric bass? The real world backs this up without any help or advertising from us.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about an 80's style "piano tone". The point I'm making is that having a more even tone across the strings and up the neck just makes it easier to effectively eq your tone for the room. More importantly a tighter bottom end is easier to hear and mix than a loose and woofy one. In the end what's really important -at least to us - is connecting with your audience and your bandmates. If you're on the right path, you'll know by the instant feedback they give you. It's that simple.

I agree with the principles entirely Sheldon, just for me currently - it is surplus to requirements. I don't have a fretted 5 string right now (have had Lakland/Warwick/Bacchus/Overwaters though) but should I feel the need for one and I have sufficient budget, i'd definitely be including some Dingwalls in my shortlist. I like them a lot (ABZ6 in Blueburst please) and think they are worth the money, but currently i'm level with Greece for investment capital :).

Sheldon did my "half-fan" neck for my version of a P-J. It's here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174777-and-now-for-something-completely-different-in-a-pj/page__p__1632811__hl__fanned__fromsearch__1#entry1632811"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174777-and-now-for-something-completely-different-in-a-pj/page__p__1632811__hl__fanned__fromsearch__1#entry1632811[/url]
Some old injuries came back to haunt me, and this was the solution to keep playing on a regular basis. Yes, all the above: tone, clarity, ergonomics, etc. It's not as much of a dramatic difference as his fully fanned instruments, but I wanted to keep some "traditional" P tone in the mix. The main item is the strings: I now use 60 and 80 for the D and A strings instead of the more common 65-85 in a lot of sets, with better consistency of tone and intonation, both across the strings and up the neck.

It's good of Sheldon to chip in and clarify things. I happen to agree with a few people here, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist [u]for me[/u]. I also may have heaved a couple of people off on this subject on a previous thread by calling it a fad. Sorry grand wazoo!

I can understand the idea for it, it all makes perfect sense, but I dont see it benefitting me. I'd love to try one though!

Dan

Just to extend the metaphor slightly, I've got an ABZ4 (don't like 5s at all, despite owning a couple) and it fixes an issue I hadn't been aware existed much at all, or rather it improved something I'd taken for granted for all my bass-playing life. The multi-scale design benefits string tension across the strings - it plays beautifully, and switching back to my 'traditional' basses, excellent as they are, is a step backward.

It's a good job Sheldon doesn't make many maple-boarded 4s, or else my bass GAS, which my ABZ has killed off almost completely, would be back with a vengeance.

I'd recommend everyone try one, even a 4, even just the once.

Edited by Muzz