Why become a member? ×

Like button

simonc61

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339060911' post='1682951']
Conversely what's the point of liking something without saying why?
[/quote]

Because when you 'like' a post, you're either agreeing with the sentiment of it (wether it's positive or negative), liking someone's joke, YouTube video, Soundcloud clip, etc.. no explanation necessary.

if you dislike something, you tend to say why.

To bring it back to the 'real world' analogy of nodding your head in agreement / shaking your head in disagreement:

It's possible - and common - to nod your head in agreement without needing further comment.

However, you're unlikely to shake your head in disagreement without going on to say why.

Edited by wateroftyne

I don't come here to be liked.

What about a rating scale from 1-5 then I can ignore everyone with low rating as obviously their opinion won't really count.

Anyone who doesn't get rated high enough can't sell anything.

I was against the dislike button; as has already been said - you can ignore what you don't like - but it also turned into a bit of a clique/popularity contest.

Though a simple - like the BBC HYS has - "+" button and a "-" button in the post window would work well, it wouldn't need a reply to take up space, just a click (rather than clique) on the post in question.

(You get to -10 & concede defeat, that's my idea, not the BBCs)

[quote name='the_krysh' timestamp='1339061720' post='1682962']
sorry to have disturbed you with my big sig. better now?
[/quote]
The diminuation of your signature wasn't my intent. You don't post much anyway so it will have little impact ;)

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1339063756' post='1683005']
I was never that much of a fan of the like button as it did nothing to help my paranoia :lol:

BTW why is this not in off topic ?
[/quote]

I would say it's a pretty "general" discussion :)

I miss the like button- it was handy for those instances where you read a quick-moving thread of a few pages. It seems pointless to quote a post from 2 pages back and add "+1" or "this"
The like button was great for that instant, knee jerk "hell yes" or LOL moment.

There is nothing wrong with having a like button per se but IIRC it came up on someones profile rather than on the post , so on the rare occasion anyone liked something I posted it I would look at my profile and see 1 more like. It would be much better if the likes were not linked to the profile but to the post a bit like in The Guardian comment is free - that I believe is the main argument for , to keep the threads tidy not as some public popluarity contest

I 've got an awful feeling that I havent explained myself very well :unsure:

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1339068643' post='1683128']...I 've got an awful feeling that I havent explained myself very well :unsure:[/quote]

I agree... :huh:

(...but the general thrust was there...)

Edited by Dad3353

I was in favour of the Like button exactly as it is on FB, where it saves posting +1s and Hear Hears (or "Here Here's"!) but doesn't get counted into a popularity contest.
I'm against the Dislike option - I tend to articulate my opinion, if it's contrary to the one expressed by the poster and I'm willing to debate. Otherwise I forever keep my peace :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1339068643' post='1683128']
There is nothing wrong with having a like button per se but IIRC it came up on someones profile rather than on the post , so on the rare occasion anyone liked something I posted it I would look at my profile and see 1 more like. It would be much better if the likes were not linked to the profile but to the post a bit like in The Guardian comment is free - that I believe is the main argument for , to keep the threads tidy not as some public popluarity contest

I 've got an awful feeling that I havent explained myself very well :unsure:
[/quote]
I think when we briefly had the like button it did show on the profile (in a little green box) but also on the post.

When we even more briefly had like and dislike buttons they were shown separately on the post but were totalled together on the profile.

I'd prefer to have neither like nor dislike buttons but if we were to have them it ought not to be anonymous - if you like something then your name shows, and if you dislike something then your name shows and then you really ought to explain yourself, so making the dislike button redundant.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1339069512' post='1683153']I'm against the Dislike option - I tend to articulate my opinion, if it's contrary to the one expressed by the poster and I'm willing to debate. Otherwise I forever keep my peace :)[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339061270' post='1682955']
The amount of screen real estate taken up by someone quoting a post they like and putting 'Like' or '^^^ This' or 'Spot on mate', especially if they have a big sig like yours, makes reading long threads a bit tiresome sometimes.

I liked the LIKE button. I thought it was an efficient way of nodding assent, like Wot is saying.
[/quote]
The problem as I see it is that 'nodding' on it's own isn't actually very communicative - it's most often followed up with a comment in the real world. Can you imagine an interview where the interviewee just sat there nodding?

A Like button is more akin to voting, especially as a running tally is kept. IMHO it just ends up being a popularity contest.

Edited by Musky