Why become a member? ×

Cack handed bass player at Buck House

4 Strings

I saw a chunk of it and it felt a little bit lame, if I am honest. To be blunt, it wasn't their fault but I think the BBC didn't get the sound together at, at least for the bit I watched (all vocal and no band) - I saw the start to the appallingly cringy bit where Rolf sang Two Little Boys to fill some space. I could bear it no longer.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1338859664' post='1680249']
That'll be Donovan Hepburn on kit then- great player. Not watched it yet but judging by FB there are some cringeworthy moments.
[/quote]

Yeah Hepburn was on kit. Well for the most part, Cliff Richard swapped them out for his own band.

Obviously Stevie had his own bad with the amazingly gifted Nate Watts.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

Wasn't watching for a lot of it. Saw Lee play a few times with It Bites in the last couple of years and noticed the same things. He's a very good tasteful bass player. Last month they were using Nathan King who I'm not very impressed with. Another mult-instrumentalist who doesn't have bass as his first instrument. Too much going on for me.

The concert was great if you like that sort of thing. But that's what you get when you try to cover 6 decades in one concert, a bit of something for everyone, which leaves great periods of nothingness in between the bits you like.

Mcartny's jacket and bass and great masterpiece Live and Let Die complete with fireworks were superb and I can't stand the guy usually. For Elton John I had to leave the room. What Stevie Wonder and Will-I-Am were doing sing the Martin Luther King inspired Happy Birthday, I have no idea. I thought everything else was pretty good though.

Guitarist or not, I actually like Nathan King's playing with It Bites...but yes, Lee Pomeroy's a fine bass player and seemed like a very nice chap when I spoke to him briefly. He's recently been playing with Steve Hackett too - SH has had a few great bass players of late. Thought Lee Pomeroy would make an appearance yesterday when I saw that Gary Barlow had a big hand in proceedings.

Oh & I can recommend the new It Bites album for those that are interested.

Yeah I had to look twice at LP's neck as the strings looked wrong. Obviously picked up a RH bass originally and just flipped it over, same as Jimmy Haslip. Thought LP did a great job. Again the BBC screwed the sound, every guitar sounded like a wasp in a jam jar, even the Mrs commented on how crap it sounded, and she's not an anorak muso like us lot. Shouldn't be surprised though, I can't remember the last time I heard a decent mix on Later.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1338907737' post='1680878']
Guitarist or not, I actually like Nathan King's playing with It Bites...but yes, Lee Pomeroy's a fine bass player and seemed like a very nice chap when I spoke to him briefly. He's recently been playing with Steve Hackett too - SH has had a few great bass players of late. Thought Lee Pomeroy would make an appearance yesterday when I saw that Gary Barlow had a big hand in proceedings.

Oh & I can recommend the new It Bites album for those that are interested.
[/quote]

The last one was closer to the old 80s stuff and seemed to be aimed at pleasing the fans. Haven't heard the latest one other than they played it in it's entirety at the gig and there were a few confused faces and disappointed fans.

I should really give it a proper listen as I thought it sounded quite good.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338916040' post='1681061']
Haven't heard the latest one other than they played it in it's entirety at the gig and there were a few confused faces and disappointed fans.

I should really give it a proper listen as I thought it sounded quite good.
[/quote]

Drifting OT, but I'd say it's a bit different to the last one, although not exactly a massive departure. No confusion or disappointment where I was standing at Bush Hall, but I think everyone around me - mostly die hard fans I'll admit - knew what was going to happen and already knew all the songs!

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1338912821' post='1680977']
ps - BBC camerawork was terrible - like the Cream Concert in the Royal Albert Hall in the late 60s.
[/quote]

Too many camera changes, yes, absolutely. It was virtually every bar. Normally love BBC production but there were too many changes too often could n't really get to grips with what was going on.

Certainly had the feel of being put together for a tv programme rather than for the masses there. But, then it was.

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1338916606' post='1681075']

Drifting OT, but I'd say it's a bit different to the last one, although not exactly a massive departure. No confusion or disappointment where I was standing at Bush Hall, but I think everyone around me - mostly die hard fans I'll admit - knew what was going to happen and already knew all the songs!
[/quote]

I moved about a bit. The sound in Bush Hall varies tremendously depending on where you stand. There were comments made.

People seemed to like Nathan's bass playing though. Hey ho. Funny that Lee was on The Tall Ships tour but not on the album but is on the latest album but not on the tour.

What was that extra guy doing singing in Madness - terrible. Maybe Suggs does not sing with them usually and the regular guy thought he should be included? I didn't like it.

Edited by TimR

It Bites are effectively a 3 piece now with at least 2 bass players who swap in and out depending on the other's commitments. Saw LP for the first time at last year's show (Sale Waterside Arts Centre - double headliner with Mostly Autumn). Allegedly he is a long time It Bites fan and was thrilled to get the gig with them. But IB are never going to pay the bills long term and hence the session work.