Why become a member? ×

Who's had a jubilee gig cancelled because of the rain?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338799228' post='1679243']
I'll stick to not mixing electrics and water. I've have some bad experiences.
If you want to trust your life to a £10 piece of gear from Homebase - go ahead.
[/quote]

Oh no, I just bought this kettle from Homebase! What should I do??

[url="http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=4237477"]http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=4237477[/url]

We were supposed to be playing on the back of a Lorry, as part of street party, with the doors/curtain things open to see us in the middle of a blocked off street, Due to the rain we ended up playing inside, and it was tiny! There was also the annoying problem that the toilets were behind us and people walked through us while we were playing to get to them...

We also played on a stage in the city's shopping centre which was great fun and luckily under cover from the downpour.

Edited by ROConnell

[quote name='ROConnell' timestamp='1338805208' post='1679359']
There was also the annoying problem that the toilets were behind us and people walked through us while we were playing to get to them...

[/quote]

Welcome to the wonderful world of pub rock ... B)

We got moved indoors too. Luckily enough, the pub (Kings Head in Acton) has a proper stage'n'all so we were more comfortable that way.

This afternoon it's a street party in Ealing. From where I sit right now, I can just see signs of blue sky appearing to the west of me.

ps: This photo courtesy of Silvia (BlueJay).

Edited by Happy Jack

Where abouts in Ealing Jack? I have an open air gig with 3 bands at Epsom racecourse tonight. We are first on so that,ll give me time to investigate the free bar! :D
Where I am in Greenford its a bit chilly but still dry so far!! :happy:

We were asked some time ago if we'd do an outdoor Jubilee gig on Sunday, but we declined as we had a paid gig the night before that was going to see us getting in at about 3am.

We're headlining at a nice little local(ish) music festival next month so we're kinda hoping that there won't be any water left in the sky by then... :D

EDIT: ...and as it's on the back of a pair of trailers it'll give me ample opportunity to 'fall off the back of a lorry'. :)

Edited by icastle

Playing on a trailer with just the side down won't protect from rain ... saw it once before, there was lightning which caused the guitarists Marshall half-stack to switch channels, then one of the crew found a mains extender reel (the kind with 4 plugs in the middle) full of water at which point the head honcho instructed us to switch everything off using something dry and non-conductive to press the rocker switches. There were no "incidents" and nobody was hurt, but I've never seen a stage swimming in water before.

After trying to get clarification about plan B in event of the weather, we were initially told that the village hall up the road was booked.
We said a few days ago that it should be moved inside.. but got an e-mail back saying everything is now arranged and we can't move to the
Village hall as the beer is in place.

This is not what was agreed and we said as much. We got an e-mail back this morning saying

'don't bother, we have another band happy to play'.

That is it for me..they will get our bill for 'cancelling' us..although they haven't said as much..just what I quoted above.
The gig money is decent and we have turned down other enquiries for this but I can't be arsed to work for such jokers.

If this is how he runs an event..then god knows what lash-up on the day we might encounter.

Happy to walk well away from this train-wreck.

Had a gig yesterday that was cancelled last minute, which is a pain as I turned down another gig the same day that paid much more. Unprofessional behaviour from those booking cost me a couple of hundred quid.... Have learnt that I should start having a cancellation fee, because I can't afford to have this sort of thing happen regularly! But hey ho, gotta remain zen and just learn from it, right?!

Took an unexpected dep gig for a musical Saturday night, and have another jazz/funk gig this evening, should be a fun one. Got another 4 in the course of the next fortnight too! I should take up playing full time at this rate, my work is getting a bit neglected :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338803631' post='1679315']
So are all outdoor gigs off Tim? I have tickets for the Chillis at Knebworth in a couple of weeks! :lol:
[/quote]

Are they playing on grass at the end of a bunch of extension leads daisy chained from Knebworth House?

Or

On a purpose built stage rigged by pro electicians?

Sorry. Just had another discussion with someone who borrowed my PA and complained it wasn't working properly. Turns out they were running everything, lights, PA, backline, bar, from a two 50m extension leads joined together and run down the garden from a socket inside the house.

This scares me. Lots.

I didn't even ask it was on an RCD!

Am I going to get done when someone blames my 'faulty' equipment because their band is going to play in the rain 'at all costs'?

If you are only lending kit , I don't think you have the same risk as if you were hiring it out. It might still be reasonable to suss the competency of the peeps using it though, both for their own safety and the wellbeing of your kit

Well, it didn't rain last night down here so our gig could have gone ahead...but I agree with the view that the stage must be set up properly..
and since the guy that we were talking to all along, prooved in his e-mails that he wasn't up to handling the job..so if it is amateur hour AND
dodgy weather, I think we were better off out of it.

It rather takes the sting out of any cancellation fee that we will put in... but I can live with that, all things considered.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1338882530' post='1680327']
If you are only lending kit , I don't think you have the same risk as if you were hiring it out. It might still be reasonable to suss the competency of the peeps using it though, both for their own safety and the wellbeing of your kit
[/quote]

Well, it's still raining.

I'm not so worried about what would happen to me. It's more how blasé people are about their safety. The above comments ae just two examples of normally sensible people not thinking straight. Quite surprised at flyfisher and still not sure if he was joking.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338928765' post='1681354']
Quite surprised at flyfisher and still not sure if he was joking.
[/quote]

Quite surprised about what?

It's clearly possible to safely play a gig outside in the rain if appropriate precautions are taken. Bands do it all the time. The obvious precaution is to prevent electrical gear from getting wet, and that would include all plugs and socket strips, but that doesn't mean an electrical cable itself is dangerous when wet.

As for RCDs not providing 100% safety, I know what you mean about the current/time curves and physiological variability in the reaction to an electric shock, but that's getting into fairly rarified theoretical territory. A bit like worrying about being electrocuted by testing a PP3 battery with your tongue.

For the vast majority of healthy people, RCDs will provide perfectly good protection against fault conditions - unless you try really hard and insist on connecting yourself across the live and neutral conductors! After all, RCDs specifications are not approved by the IET wiring regulations for nothing.

I wouldn't be too concerned about playing in a (dry) tent with power from a single-length extension cable plugged into a house socket fed from an RCD-protected circuit.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338934988' post='1681497']
I wouldn't be too concerned about playing in a (dry) tent with power from a single-length extension cable plugged into a house socket fed from an RCD-protected circuit.
[/quote]

+1

Provided the insulation is intact and any joins are IP56 rated then I'd not worry in the slightest in that scenario.

I always carry a mains tester to make 100% certain that I have an earth and that L and N haven't managed to get reversed courtesy of dubious wiring.

It was our first gig yesterday, and surprise surprise it was meant to be on a trailer with one plug for the lot of us (8 piece soul band). We had to be a bit stern but they moved us into the marquee they had and the generator running that place had enough juice to run the whole village. The rain actually did us a favour and everybody crammed into the tent for the start of our set, then the vicar decided that would be an opportune moment to do the raffle. Which took 40 minutes. Then the Lord of the Manor managed to take the plum out of his mouth long enough to announce the results of all the various categories of welly wanging, egg and spoon races and guess the sweets in the jar. To cap it all off there was a prize of a rare tree sapling bred by a Chelsea gold medallist. This was won by Ol' lordies son. A healthy dose of nepotism and keeping the riches in the family seemed strangely fitting, then we got to play, an hour late!