Why become a member? ×

A New Head....... but which one?

pikeman

At the moment I'm using a 300watt Trace Elliot 1x15 combo along with a Barefaced Compact. I love the sound but the Trace weighs a ton and sort of defeats the purpose of getting a lightweight cab.
I need a small, lightweight head to go with the Compact. Money is tight so I've shortlisted a few possibilities to go with the Compact. I may add another cab at a later date but for now it's one cab only.
1 EBS Reidmar, only 125watts into an 8 ohm cab, will it drive a Compact solo.
2 Ampeg PF 500
3 Ashdown MIBASS 550
4 Harley Benton 500
The above list is pretty much my order of preference at the moment and living in the sticks means I'm not in much of a position to try the amps before I take the plunge.
My band is a 7 piece classic/ prog rock outfit and some gigs are without PA support.
Can anyone on here who's tried any of the above amps with a Compact help me out with your views?

Steve.

I have owned and used items 2, 3 & 4 on your list with my BF Compact in rehearsals and gigs. My vote however goes to the Orange Terror Bass 500. They can be picked up for about £350 secondhand.

From the list above, I'd go for the PF500.

My MiBass just didn't feel very loud.

The Harley Benton head refused to turn on after about a day or so. Well sometimes it would power up, about 10 minutes after switching it on. Sometimes not.

I don't see any of the amps on your list being better than your TE. While anything will obviously be lighter than a combo, If you love the sound of the TE I'd suggest you use it for a little longer while you save up for a "better" lightweight amp. Also you'll be going from a 215 to a 115 so you might want to start saving for another Compact.

In the meantime you could also be trying out some amps, for example; Aguilar Tonehammer TH500, Genz Shuttle and Streamliner amps, GK MB amps, Markbass amps etc.

I’d keep an eye on the BC sale section. If you choose carefully you could find better prices on nearly new amps.

I'd recommend saving for a Midget to go with the Compact, rather than buying a second Compact.

If in doubt, ask Alex Claber. This is exactly the sort of customer service he supplies.

Oops! Forgot to answer your actual question.

I've regularly used both an OTB and an MB500 to drive my Compact + Midget, both cabs individually and both cabs together. Both heads are more than up to the job (as are plenty of others, I'm sure) so it's really down to what you'll be playing and what you like the sound of.

I have two vintage Precisions. Through the OTB they both sound awesome, sorry, +++ AWESOME +++, but through the MB500 they sound bland.

I have two Wal Custom Mk.II's. Through the OTB they sound OTT, but through the MB500 you can really hear the impact of their filter-based preamps.

Horses for courses.

Edited by Happy Jack

I used a PF500 with a compact in an 8 piece band, and needed the volume on 5. The PF500 produces 350 watts at 8 ohms. With that in mind, I`d discount the Reidmar, purely on power.

The Ampeg/Barefaced pairing was very nice - if you like Ampeg sound, putting them with Barefaced Cabs is great, as they really put out what goes in, no (or very very little) colouration of sound.

And adding a Midget in - well I did this, and it sounded very good. One of my all time fave rigs I`ve owned.

Thanks for your comments.
I have tried the Trace (unplugging the combo speaker) with the Compact and didn't really like the sound. I think going through the 2x15s is really what I'm looking for.
I'd not considered the GK MB500 but having just read a few reviews, it seems there's a lot of love out there .
The ideal situation would be for someone to offer me another Compact cheap and I start unscrewing the head out of the combo. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1338714601' post='1678220']
I used a PF500 with a compact in an 8 piece band, and needed the volume on 5. The PF500 produces 350 watts at 8 ohms. With that in mind, I`d discount the Reidmar, purely on power.

The Ampeg/Barefaced pairing was very nice - if you like Ampeg sound, putting them with Barefaced Cabs is great, as they really put out what goes in, no (or very very little) colouration of sound.

And adding a Midget in - well I did this, and it sounded very good. One of my all time fave rigs I`ve owned.
[/quote]

I quite like the Ampeg sound. I had a 2x15 fliptop in the late sixties. What does worry me about the PF500 is the reliability issue. Is it just a small number that keep cutting out or does the internet exaggerate these issues?

Well I had my PF500 from May last year, to March this year, and did 4 hour rehearsals, 2 hour gigs, day-long recording sessions with it, connected to a variety of cabs, and never had a single problem.

One thing I can confirm though, it was always connected to cabs that were rated way above its capacity - at least 800 watts handling. Maybe this is something to do with why some of them cut out, or maybe I just got lucky.

But because of this I never had to push the amp , and this would, to a non-techie person, seem possibly relevant.

Just a few opinions for you consideration ....... I've just recently stopped using my old trusty Trace AH400 smx , I Bought a
Little Mark 2 a couple of years back and used it for about 2 years without a glitch but just decided to go back to the Trace about year ago , circumstances have changed now and I wanted a smaller head again so I bought a PF500 ..... It's ok , but only ok . I've been using it either with an svt 15e & svt210he or my EBS 4x10 and it's not really that loud for something that's supposed to be a 500w head , the Markbass was 500 w and it would blow the PF away . Tone wise neither compare to the Trace so I would try as many as possible before parting with the hard earned cash !
Reliability wise my PF has been good so far but I've only had it a couple of months but to be honest its not really for me so it'll be replaced as and when funds allow !

Hows about this? Promethean head (not mine might I add) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177938-promethean-500w-bass-head/page__p__1677822__hl__promethean__fromsearch__1#entry1677822"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177938-promethean-500w-bass-head/page__p__1677822__hl__promethean__fromsearch__1#entry1677822[/url]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1338812202' post='1679495']
Hows about this? Promethean head (not mine might I add) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177938-promethean-500w-bass-head/page__p__1677822__hl__promethean__fromsearch__1#entry1677822"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1677822[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Giones, something I'd not considered as the clones looked better value for money and not seen one second hand. Has anyone tried the Promethean with a Compact? Your findings please.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, it really did help.
In the end I bought an Ampeg PF500.
I used it last night at rehearsal and was asked to turn down so no volume worries.
Tone wise, it has deep bass by the bucketload, I need to play with the EQ some more to get a more even sound with the upper notes but first impressions are good.
The rest of the band liked the sound which is a big plus.
One last question....how can a small speaker like the Compact create such a huge sound, my teeth are still vibrating.
Once again, thanks for all your help.
Steve.

I hope so RB. First signs look good. The build quality is better than expected, a really solid case and a pretty quiet fan (thank goodness).
I was a little nervous after reading all the reports of them cutting out but I pushed it hard last night with no problems.
I bought it from Digital Village (DV247) who offer a 30 day money back guarantee plus 4 years free cover. It did come with a European power lead but a quick phone call and a UK lead should be with me today.

[quote name='pikeman' timestamp='1339143750' post='1684186']
I hope so RB. First signs look good. The build quality is better than expected, a really solid case and a pretty quiet fan (thank goodness).
I was a little nervous after reading all the reports of them cutting out but I pushed it hard last night with no problems.
I bought it from Digital Village (DV247) who offer a 30 day money back guarantee plus 4 years free cover. It did come with a European power lead but a quick phone call and a UK lead should be with me today.
[/quote]

DV rock :)