Why become a member? ×

New Rush CD

ead

My copy arrived this morning - the fan pack is really a great idea. Mega magazine. The CD book format is very cool also.

I'm enjoying the album so far. I'll give it s few listens before I make any comment - I don't want to make any rash statements. Saying that, I'm enjoying the looser, "live in the studio" feel to the album. The track "The Wreckers" has a "Live At Leeds / The Who" vibe to it.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1339256971' post='1686010']
My copy arrived this morning - the fan pack is really a great idea. Mega magazine. The CD book format is very cool also.

I'm enjoying the album so far. I'll give it s few listens before I make any comment - I don't want to make any RASH statements. Saying that, I'm enjoying the looser, "live in the studio" feel to the album. The track "The Wreckers" has a "Live At Leeds / The Who" vibe to it.
[/quote]Like it.

Geddy Lee on Planet Rock now talking through the album. You can also catch it on demand later, it's with Darren Reddick. Sounding good to me and I'm not a huge Rush fan.

EDIT Just ordered the fan pack, me likey :)

Edited by ezbass

Listened to mine twice in the car today. Awfully good driving album!! Digging the tunes and Peart's drumming is insane. Geddy is a god as always, though I'm not too sure about the production! Don't know what I'm not too sure about, but it's almost too produced!!

Hmm... I dunno. I've listened to it a couple of times today, and it seems to be following the pattern of recent albums.

It feels like they don't write songs anymore. They just assemble riffs, and Geddy tries to stick a melody on top. There's no space, either. Every gap is filled with something.

Reading various interviews, they say that they feel like they've stripped everything down, and the melodies have come to the fore. I think I'm listening to a different CD....

I'll persevere, but I wish they'd give Broon a bell again.

I LOVE the title track! The vocal melody is lovely and just the sort of thing that that makes me realise that I don't really care about music with crap vocal melodies with unsupportive harmony, however good the music is. Some of the other tracks lack nice vocal melodies and I can't get into them as much, but Carnies, Caravan, BU2B and the Anarchist are standing out to me at the moment.

I think RUSH are enjoying themselves again, I really do. They've restored my faith :D

EDIT: Oh, and Alex's solo in Caravan blows my f***ing mind!! It's got that weird sh*t where you can't quite work out the scalar tonality sort of major over minor, like the Tom Sawyer solo, but it perfectly compliments the music. Really exciting!

Edited by silddx

Yeah, I'm coming around to it too. I like it, production aside.

One bit drives me nuts though: 4:20-ish on The Garden, when Alex comes in with that gorgeous, soaring, twangy line - possibly the loveliest moment on the record.

Does he sit on it for a while, play it a few times around and let it breathe? No. He plays it once, and disappears off into a wayward solo.

What's the hurry, man?

If it had been me producing it, I would have chopped his bliddy fingers off.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1339450590' post='1688807']
Yeah, I'm coming around to it too. I like it, production aside.

[b]One bit drives me nuts though: 4:20-ish on The Garden, when Alex comes in with that gorgeous, soaring, twangy line - possibly the loveliest moment on the record.

Does he sit on it for a while, play it a few times around and let it breathe? No. He plays it once, and disappears off into a wayward solo.

What's the hurry, man?

If it had been me producing it, I would have chopped his bliddy fingers off.[/b]
[/quote]

It's all too much to take in at the moment so I have just had another listen to TG and decided you are a bloody nutcase :) It's a gorgeous solo! Wonderfully played with gorgeous phrasing! although I'd agree that he might hav left a little space before the second phrase. And what a guitar tone!!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339451474' post='1688828']
It's all too much to take in at the moment so I have just had another listen to TG and decided you are a bloody nutcase :) It's a gorgeous solo! Wonderfully played with gorgeous phrasing!
[/quote]

Ha.. I think it's a hideous, unfocussed, wobbly mess. Diffr'ent strokes..!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1339451698' post='1688834']
Ha.. I think it's a hideous, unfocussed, wobbly mess. Diffr'ent strokes..!
[/quote]
:lol: Quintessential Alex for me, I adore it when he plays like that, sublime :D Like the solos on Available Light and Ghost of a Chance, although they are a little more restrained and sticking to a more melodic theme.

You know what, I'm realising how little patience I have for music these days, I seem to be like a modern f***ing teenager :lol: I need to let let music grow on me more, I'm really starting to get into this album the more I force myself to listen to it actively.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339452487' post='1688847']
:lol: Quintessential Alex for me, I adore it when he plays like that, sublime :D Like the solos on Available Light and Ghost of a Chance, although they are a little more restrained and sticking to a more melodic theme.
[/quote]

True dat; Ghost of a Chance is Alex's finest hour - it's a superb solo. I'm off to bed now to listen to 'Clockwork Angels' for the first time since I bought it this morning...

...I love that 'new album' feeling in the evening - feels like victory.

Mine arrived yesterday and I've listened several times now - Clockwork Angels is my fave so far, followed by Caravan & BU2B (nice reworkings - sounding even better now), The Anarchist, Carnies and Headlong Flight.

Great package all around - found my name on the poster and will be reading the mag soon.

I already prefer it to Snakes & Arrows, and I did enjoy that.

Meh. I'm going off it again.

I've listened to it about 20 times, and it was really starting to click with me. But... but so many parts of the songs sound like unmemorable filler. Riff. Another riff. Back to the other riff again. Etc.

I stand by what I said originally... where are the songs? :(

FWIW, it's their best in a while I think.