Why become a member? ×

Jaco Pastorius Shreds

xilddx

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1338234903' post='1671378']
That's a lovely Bravewood he's playing.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's why it's got that classic truss-rod rattle sound ;) Just kidding Mr Bravewood. I know your basses are gorgeous!

Edited by silddx

I used to have a few of Jaco's later CDs (eg, with Bireli Lagrene) and his tone absolutely went to pot (possibly literally) after the first couple of Weather Report albums. This sounds a bit like the live track Slang from Weather Report Live 8.30pm (I think thats what its called) and its horrible, showy and nasty sounding. Compare this with the fluidity and sublime tone of say Havona on Heavy Weather and its chalk and cheese to me

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1338240084' post='1671536']
Yeah, I've got Heavy Weather.
I just don't see what's not to like.
It's different granted, but not in a bad way IMHO.
[/quote] Yep, I'm with you Hiram. Sounds great to me.

C'mon tell us what's wrong with it :unsure:

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1338238035' post='1671481']
Why? I like it.
[/quote]

I just think it sounds a bit rambling and unfocussed, like a few stock licks with noodly mince in between. I like what he's doing for the odd phrase or so, but I feel like it's the bass equivalent of singing in the shower. I love his stuff when he's really on it, but this performance just feels a bit erratic to me. This is all IMO, of course, but hey, you asked!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1338302737' post='1672391']
Lord, that was awful.
[/quote]

I don't mind his noodling every once in a great while. A Remark You Made, however, is my least favourite song by WR - to me it's like something from the dance floor of the Love Boat.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1338311898' post='1672579']
In one. Elephant in the room time, and all that.
[/quote]

Yep. Undeniably great player but that was just plain bad. Almost comparable to...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE[/url]

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1338314395' post='1672649'] Yep. Undeniably great player but that was just plain bad. Almost comparable to... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE[/url] [/quote]

I don't often claim to be able to do a better job than someone on guitar, but I will make an exception here.

Fair enough, I think this kind of music and/or bass playing (take your pick) is very easy to dislike but the point has been pretty well laboured now, like Jaco, hate Jaco etc.

The facts are that the guy was an extraordinary musician, arranger and bass player. I think often we can try too hard to dislike music that isn't to our tastes but in reality there's always something to be gained even from the music that we can't stand... even more in this case as we're all bass players. Not every one of Jaco's live performances is necessarily to my tastes, but then neither were Jimi Hendrix's - and yet he had a profound impact on the future of his instrument and indeed the future of a lot of music. Just take music at face value and enjoying it becomes a lot easier.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1338322155' post='1672822']
Fair enough, I think this kind of music and/or bass playing (take your pick) is very easy to dislike but the point has been pretty well laboured now, like Jaco, hate Jaco etc.

The facts are that the guy was an extraordinary musician, arranger and bass player. I think often we can try too hard to dislike music that isn't to our tastes but in reality there's always something to be gained even from the music that we can't stand... even more in this case as we're all bass players. Not every one of Jaco's live performances is necessarily to my tastes, but then neither were Jimi Hendrix's - and yet he had a profound impact on the future of his instrument and indeed the future of a lot of music. Just take music at face value and enjoying it becomes a lot easier.
[/quote]

Good point. I must say I wouldn't normally choose to listen to something like Weather Report but you have to respect the guy for what he did for fretless bass playing.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1338238172' post='1671484']
Compare with the taste and tone here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sajihaV1rGk&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Which is, by far, my least favourite track on that album. By a long way.