Why become a member? ×

Good songs for playing along to....

The Saint

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338312710' post='1672602']
I'm gonna go out & suggest learning all of your favourite songs that you currently play on guitar.
Learn the basslines to them, you know the chord changes already! :D
[/quote]
Total sense!

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1338856114' post='1680217']
Fleetwood Mac - the chain :)
[/quote]

That was the very first thing I played when I first picked up a bass (the 2nd 1/2 of it). That was 28 years ago!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1338881314' post='1680312']
That was the very first thing I played when I first picked up a bass (the 2nd 1/2 of it). That was 28 years ago!
[/quote]

Goes to show what a good song it is ;)
The first part isn't bad either for starting off and then progress into the second half.

BSB

[quote name='The Saint' timestamp='1338233303' post='1671331']
Thanks, I'm thinking of something well known that doesn't gallop along too much. I have a couple of books/CD's and I'm about to start lessons next week

My tastes are mainly blues (so 12 bars are on the list!) but anything that has a repetitive bass line that I can pick up easily, bearing in mind this is the first time I've played bass.

Keep 'em coming...
[/quote]

'Ballad of a Well-known Gun' by Elton John from [i]Tumbleweed Connection[/i]. A very nicely syncopated line in a D blues. Simple progression, but listen to what bassist Dave Glover does with it. Nice!

Actually pretty complicated! ... but something to aim for? Glover's technique is great.

tg

Edited by tedgilley

Stick the "Blues Brothers" Movie Soundtrack and play along to every song back to back, can't go wrong with following Duck Dunn

Then log on "Songsterr" and follow tabs in real time on very simple songs.

example: [url="http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/blues-brothers-gimme-some-lovin-guitar-tab-s27169t0"]http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/blues-brothers-gimme-some-lovin-guitar-tab-s27169t0[/url]

[b]REMEMBER TO SELECT THE BASS TABS![/b]

When I started it was playing along to early ACDC (Bon Scott period), early ZZ Top (pre Eliminator) and Green Onions- Duck Dunn again.

All really easy to remember, but tightened up my timing and consistency and felt like I was playing something, rather than practicing.
Moved on to Tommy Shannon (Stevie Ray Vaughan) when I was ready for a few more notes and some variation in feel.

Also,personally, I'd not worry about tabs etc. Most basslines you don't really need them and working it out yourself will train your ear to what the intervals sound like.

Edited by Hodge

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1339013349' post='1682524']
The 1st 3 Iron Maiden albums set me up for 30 years of 4 string happiness!
[/quote]

Amen my Brother!!

Also suggest (If you're into bluesy stuff) -

Need your love so bad - Peter Green
High Time Baby - Spencer Davies Group
Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
How Many More Times - Led Zep
Radar Love - Golden Earing
Tracks of my Tears - Smokey Robinson

Edited by Nibody