Why become a member? ×

Is it just me... or.......

deefer_dog

Does this appeal to anybody else? I think it looks great anyway. Maple body, neck and fretboard for 129 euro's?

Guitar warehouse stocks them, would be a serious try before you buy, but as eye candy, I'm drawn to it bigtime!

Edited by deefer_dog

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1337697752' post='1664114']
Must be worth a punt for the body alone IMO.
[/quote]

My thinking exactly. I'm tempted, might have a mellow tone :) Tempted, and if it's a pig, I can always keep it as eye candy ;)

(As I have said, I do like cheap quirky basses as my collection shows haha )

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1337701053' post='1664207']
I'd of thought that a Maple body would be anything but mellow.
[/quote]

It all depends on quality of wood and pups I would think. With both at the lower end of the scale, I'd guess you wouldn't have the crispness of a more expensive bass.

Or am I just speaking sh*te? :P

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1337701275' post='1664214']
has potential but it does look a bit like a slab of pine from a cheap furniture shop. A blonde ash jazz has real style.
[/quote] I concur.

It might be worth trying but I would be surprised if it plays well

You get nothing for nothing, so it stands to reason that you'd get very little for very little. Is there about an inch of wood between the scratchplate and the end of the body along the bottom edge?

Usually people end up ploughing money into these things and finally declare they've got a good bass when, if they'd just bought a good bass with the money in the first place, they could have saved themselves the time and hassle

Can't argue with the price but you get what you pay for...so if it works out then, bonus.

A slight tangent here.. I was talking to a good friend who is very grounded in all things musical..and predominantly sound re-enforcement
and we were talking about amps and cab component quality. I mentioned a few names and he surprised me by telling how much kit he had had come back
for repair/replacements.
Makes you pretty wary of going anywhere near some of that, by the volume of returns he talked about.

Maybe this is a thread in itself..

• 1 month later...

I love that colour combo on a J style (particularly with the black scrachplate) so certainly looks the part for me - cheap basses can be pleasantly surprising.

I've still got the 'Extreme' branded Jazz I won in Silverfoxnik's BC charity raffle a few years ago, think it retails at £95 but I think the neck feels great and I've had no issues with the fit and finish elsewhere. It's my main 'playing at home bass' and lives propped up in my back room ready to be grabbed whenever, and it's just a decent set of pickups away from being a good solid gigging bass that I'd happily take on stage.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1342789676' post='1740970']
I love that colour combo on a J style (particularly with the black scrachplate) so certainly looks the part for me - cheap basses can be pleasantly surprising.

I've still got the 'Extreme' branded Jazz I won in Silverfoxnik's BC charity raffle a few years ago, think it retails at £95 but I think the neck feels great and I've had no issues with the fit and finish elsewhere. It's my main 'playing at home bass' and lives propped up in my back room ready to be grabbed whenever, and it's just a decent set of pickups away from being a good solid gigging bass that I'd happily take on stage.
[/quote]

I'm very tempted to get one after pay day..... I don't own any bass with a JB config, I have 3 with the MM config, and one with dual soapbars, a JB would be nice too, and seeing as I'd be saving for a year for a Fender, I'd be willing to take a gamble, plus, they do returns :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1337775177' post='1665208']
Can't argue with the price but you get what you pay for...so if it works out then, bonus.

A slight tangent here.. I was talking to a good friend who is very grounded in all things musical..and predominantly sound re-enforcement
and we were talking about amps and cab component quality. I mentioned a few names and he surprised me by telling how much kit he had had come back
for repair/replacements.
Makes you pretty wary of going anywhere near some of that, by the volume of returns he talked about.

Maybe this is a thread in itself..
[/quote]

That might be rather interesting...
It's also a great way to confirm some of my prejudices :)

[quote name='deefer_dog' timestamp='1337765262' post='1664998']
It all depends on quality of wood and pups I would think. With both at the lower end of the scale, I'd guess you wouldn't have the crispness of a more expensive bass.

Or am I just speaking sh*te? :P
[/quote]

Actually, no!
My Squier VMJ is Maple/Maple/Maple, but nowhere near as "snappy" sounding as my Maple-bodied Warwicks.
Whilst there are (many) other variables, I suspect that the bodies on the Warwicks are far better.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1343244965' post='1747767']
Actually, no!
My Squier VMJ is Maple/Maple/Maple, but nowhere near as "snappy" sounding as my Maple-bodied Warwicks.
Whilst there are (many) other variables, I suspect that the bodies on the Warwicks are far better.
[/quote]

Ahh cool. I have never owned a bass with a maple body though. My current line up is: Mahogany, Poplar(sp), Alder...

• 3 weeks later...

Have bought one of these. Got the dark finish one. Was talking to the head man, he likes how they play, and has said if I don't like it, he'll do a full refund no problem. Fair enough deal. I'll look forward to trying it out in the coming days! I do like cheap funky basses.

Well, I did it. I took a punt! I went for the dark ash finish and I have to say.....................

I really like it! The finish on it is flawless. Not one blemish on the body or neck. All the frets are tidy, no fret buzz!

I haven't played it through my amp yet as it's not in my possession, but even unpowered it sounds very nice.

The fit and overall finish, ( Well, the fit ) is 99% spot on. There is a TEENY gap at the neck cavity ( I'm talking a sheet of paper sized gap ) and one of the ashtray covers ( Bridge pup ) is slightly raised. Nothing a turn of a screw wouldn't fix.

Nice weight and it seems very balanced. Guys, for 129e, I think it's got the feel of a MUCH more expensive bass. I'll be playing it amped tomorrow, lets hope it doesn't disappoint!