Why become a member? ×

NEW or USED... discuss!

So at what point does a bass cease to be 'new'? I'd have thought it would be when the first person to pay for a bass gets it from a distributor or manufacturer... surely once someone has bought something it ceases to be new and can't 'legally' be described as such! However, time and again I find stuff on ebay that is listed as 'new' (using the ebay drop down menu option) and yet patently it can't be!

Case in point and I apologise if this turns out to be a BCer but maybe they can explain how it is still new and not used. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker-4003-Fireglow-BRAND-NEW-case-UNUSED-/190681439215?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c657fdbef#ht_992wt_1396"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickenbacker-4003-Fireglow-BRAND-NEW-case-UNUSED-/190681439215?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c657fdbef#ht_992wt_1396[/url]

I would say it's New until it's been played at least once. Most guitars being sold as new in shops have probably been tried at least once. Therefore I would not see them as new... If it's been played but has absolutely no signs of use, IE bright strings, no scratches or dings etc then it should be sold AS NEW, not NEW.

If its an individual thats selling on ebay then its not new. Buying an expensive bass from a shop gives dealership expertise as well as back up in case of fault or any other consumer rights matter.

I see it as a means to charge full whack on unsuspecting ebuyers.

Edited by CPBassman

He seems to know a lot about how this bass sounds considering he's never used it..

[size=4][font=Arial][b]Now,[b] the [/b]sound, most people associate Rickenbacker basses with their trademark, prog/punk ‘growl’ and treble cut… but this bass sound 'fat' when both pickups are engaged which is great for blues playing. Ricks are renowned as ‘rock’ basses, and here this bass will not disappoint. The sustain is unbelievable thanks to the neck-through/dual-truss rod setup, if you look at the back of the neck it is also matched to the body and this bass has plenty of bottom end to satisfy a reggae player. The best way to describe the tone would be, ‘a rich warmth, with a thick and punchy growl in the middle. If you flip to the treble pickup, grab a plectrum and you’re in rock-grind heaven.[/b][/font][/size][font=Arial][size=4][/size][/font]

This bass has clearly been played by the owner so definately can't be classed as new. As new, mint condition would be a better description. Nice bass though, not sure its worth more than £1400, especially in the current climate.

Ebay can be funny place and stuff does seem to sell on there for more than you would expect.

Edited by GregHughes

It's not new. It may not be "used". But it is definitely secondhand. As new is a truer description. As mentioned earlier a lot is known about the sound for an unplayed bass. I would guess thus guy/gal bought this guitar and didn't gel with it and is now tryna recoup his dough, fair enough but it's not new.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1337533470' post='1661523']
I think we're being a bit harsh on the guy. I would agree that once its been sold by the shop/dealer it ceases to be new, but we all know what he means, however optimistic he is being with his starting price.
"As new" would be an accurate description, but I don't think you can use that on eBay these days, can you?
I wouldn't say they are that hard to come by either.
[/quote]
Not harsh at all, the bass is secondhand not new.

eBay doesn't give you the option of describing something as "as new", or "like new". I don't have an issue with this, we know what he means. If something is genuinly 'as new', it shouldn't be described as 'used', which is the only other choice, as it implies not 'as new', if that makes sense. Just read the whole description of any item, and bid accordingly. No-ones trying to dupe anyone. Life's too short i think to be giving this guy a hard time over that, especially when there's far easier targets on the bay.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1337547428' post='1661883']
eBay doesn't give you the option of describing something as "as new", or "like new". I don't have an issue with this, we know what he means. If something is genuinly 'as new', it shouldn't be described as 'used', which is the only other choice, as it implies not 'as new', if that makes sense. Just read the whole description of any item, and bid accordingly. No-ones trying to dupe anyone. Life's too short i think to be giving this guy a hard time over that, especially when there's far easier targets on the bay.
[/quote]

I don't think "as new" and "used" are mutually exclusive. In this scenario I would always describe it as "used" and then make it clear in the description that it was as new. A "new" bass should come directly from a shop or a dealer and have warranty, etc.

assuming that it has never been given a fret dress or refret then the fret wear usually tells the whole story. if it has been given a fret dress or refret then it obviously isn't new. wear and tear on the body also diminishes newness. as for value, i'd say that as soon as an instrument leaves a shop under someone's possession then it ceases to be classed as "new". models on the shop floor that have been played a bit class as "ex demo" or "shop floor model" in my view.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1337547428' post='1661883']
Life's too short i think to be giving this guy a hard time over that, especially when there's far easier targets on the bay.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I've no axe to grind against this seller or his instrument. Simply chosen at random as it does occasionally get my goat that some sellers expect to get a 'new' price for something which clearly isn't; as has been pointed out you have absolutely no legal comeback on a 'used' item they way that you would have with the manufacturer/distributor/salesperson of a 'new' item.

Patently you can judge a sales listing at face value, however I am simply opening for discussion the fact that something previously sold can not by definition be 'new'.

A few years ago, I used to sell classified ads for The Birmingham Mail and we often had people selling stuff who had just bought something, didn't like it for whatever reason and were selling it on. The official guideline that we had was that the minute that the item was sold from it's first retailer, the item could not be described as 'New' even if it was unopened and pristeen. There was no issue with 'As New' as this implies that the item is in exactly the same condition as it left the retailer.

The harsh fact is that the minute an item leaves a store following a purchase it is 'second hand'. There's no sliding scale.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1337554050' post='1662020']
A few years ago, I used to sell classified ads for The Birmingham Mail and we often had people selling stuff who had just bought something, didn't like it for whatever reason and were selling it on. The official guideline that we had was that the minute that the item was sold from it's first retailer, the item could not be described as 'New' even if it was unopened and pristeen. [b]There was no issue with 'As New'[/b] as this implies that the item is in exactly the same condition as it left the retailer.

The harsh fact is that the minute an item leaves a store following a purchase it is 'second hand'. There's no sliding scale.
[/quote]
two extra letters and a space. More money for the Birmingham mail too!