Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact/Midget Versus Super12

Jack

He gave me 6-8 weeks. Which is fine.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337717320' post='1664550']
How long did Alex give for a delivery time? (I was very fortunate, he had the Compact in stock and completed the Midget in time for me to pick it all up.)
[/quote]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337717320' post='1664550']
How long did Alex give for a delivery time? (I was very fortunate, he had the Compact in stock and completed the Midget in time for me to pick it all up.)
[/quote]

It was 7th of March that I had an email chat with him. Didn't mention timescale but assumed about a month for delivery. He's had problems with his new CNC machine it seems. He'll have quite a backlog I'm sure and will be having to deal with more impatient customers than me.

I was also quoted 6-8 weeks.

I dunno about deep pockets, it's only money.

EDIT - I should also add that I make sure my bass hobby pays for itself.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1338070042' post='1669370']
I can beat you all on timescales - 17 weeks AND still waiting !!!

It had better be worth it........
[/quote]

17 weeks?! That's as long as a custom orders Musicman from the USA who have a 4-5 month backlog!!!!

Edited by Musicman20

Well I sold the GK to get cash for the Barefaceds and so in the meantime I have been ampless and just picked up a Hartke Transporter 4x10" for £65. Will the barefaceds be better? Undoubtedly! Almost 20 times better? Probably not!

Portability.
I have just sold all my other gear, I got a Hartke 115 and 210 because I was fed up trying to hump my Trace 410 downstair every time I played. Now I'm used to Barefaced, moving the other gear to sell was unbelievable. I was astounded I used to regularly move this stuff into and out of the car and around the house.

Its a one way move from these lumps to the tiny and lightweight for me. I would say there has been a compromise on sound, but so slight that I don't want to go back.

Whether they will be better on sound will be your opinion etc, and that would be interesting to hear. They are without doubt so much easier and more practical in use.

• 1 month later...

Starting to wonder if I should have gone S12 now. This wait time is the worst, gives you a chance to second-guess everything! I could never cope with the months and months for a custom bass, I got angry when my car was late!

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1341576808' post='1721168']
Starting to wonder if I should have gone S12 now. This wait time is the worst, gives you a chance to second-guess everything! I could never cope with the months and months for a custom bass, I got angry when my car was late!
[/quote]

Should have pushed that pedal to the right a little bit harder then :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1341576808' post='1721168']
Starting to wonder if I should have gone S12 now. This wait time is the worst...[/quote]

If you need a BF fix you could pop round and try my Vintage! :)

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Increasing numbers of Barefaced cabs up in the Toon, can only be good news! I've had my pair of big babies for eighteen months, 75+ gigs, extremely happy. Venues from small pubs,functions to big clubs even without FOH support,super accurate sound everytime with minimum fuss. Would be interested in hearing your set up Jack , when it arrives.( Also yours Conan. ) If you or anybody else up here wants to listen to the big babies live follow the link(without sounding like a plug for the band!!) or just PM.... [/font][/color][/size]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][url="http://www.jojamesband.com/home.cfm"]http://www.jojamesband.com/home.cfm[/url] [/color][/size][/font]
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Roger[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by k50

One step nearer the Alex Claber Fan Club here, did a 'festival' type stage yesterday, torrential rain in the morning reduced the visitors from a couple of thousand expected to a few hundred. I was sharing car with the drummer, so very little space, I knew we'd have a pa so I thought I'd experiment and risk just the Midget for a big stage.

The Midget is not efficient and it needs a fat pipe flowing with Watts. In the end, my Streamliner 900 didn't have a lot to spare (its three 'volume' controls being at 12, 1 and almost 3 and I tweaked up the bass and the 200Hz to between 1 and 2) but the Midget did the job absolutely fine. The Streamliner/Midget combination sat on a flightcase (not mine) like a diminutive god in such a large context (an 8x10 fridge would have looked more balanced).

I couldn't tell whether the rumble I could feel through the stage was from the Midget or the pa (prob the latter), but it was absolutely fine for me to wander forward away from the tiny Midget and still 'feel' my sound. Had to watch the volume on the bass guitar at times as the cab was nearish the keys player.

This isn't the same as a large bass rig wallowing in deep bass and a huge wall of sound but to exit such a large stage with amp on one shoulder, guitar on the other, cab in one hand and hand shaking someone with the other while I chat is a welcome improvement to organising a toing and froing to the car with 2 or 3 others all humping my gear around. The pa did the wallowing part.

Never put the Midget through these sort of paces before, normally take the Compact (and prob still will) but I felt quite proud of the little thing and sorry about all the coffee mug rings on its top from rehearsals.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1342341897' post='1733328']
Pleased to hear the midget coped. Why did you choose the stack? Did you consider the S12?
[/quote]

No, I'm not sure it was around. It all started with the £100 off a Compact offer around Christmas time, then a Midget was somehow added to that. If anything it would have been a Big Baby but this was more than I wanted to spend at the time (albeit I added a Midget!) and Alex said it would need even more Watts, I had a Harkte HA5000 with 170W a side.

I'm happy with the choice of the stack as its more flexible and I'm now into the habit of taking the tine Midget to rehearsals and little gig that taking a cab of any size I now consider an inconvenience. If the S12 gave more depth to the sound I would want to be having a try out, but I understand it doesn't, and the 'T' on my Midget gets used. Both used in a stack is a pretty powerful little altar!

[size=4][font=comic sans ms, cursive][quote name='k50' timestamp='1342255293' post='1732301'][color=#000000]Would be interested in hearing your set up Jack , when it arrives.( Also yours Conan. ) If you or anybody else up here wants to listen to the big babies.... [/color][/quote][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=4][font=comic sans ms, cursive]Sounds like it may be high time for a ToonBash! Is That a TC Blacksmith I see perched atop your babies there Roger? Awesome stack!! B) [/font][/size][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms, cursive][quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1342256718' post='1732323']Anyone 'round Newcastle got a Compact or a Midget I could have a quick go of?[/quote][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=comic sans ms, cursive]Didn't you used to have a Compact Michael? Have you forgotten what they sound like already? :D [/font][/size]

Edited by Conan