Why become a member? ×

New Baaaas

fumps

Hi guys
I met with our very own Artisan last night & picked up my new (To me) Stagg Electric upright bass, i'm am hooked!!!

I got home at 9:30 last night & played the bass until 2 this morning then to get up to walk the dogs at six......i believe with the right conditioning i could do this everyday & become a zen-upright player lol

I have to say my left arm feels like i've been patting the gerbil for a month but my god its worth it. i have a fixed smile like a drunken cat from Cheshire.
Now all i want to do is go home for the weekend & play more. The great thing about the upright for me is that it feels very natural & the spacing lets my clumsy fingers do what i want.

I'm now a happy convert to the upright cause

Great news. I've recently got my first bass but used to play a double bass a long time ago. I have a very sneaky feeling that in the not too distant future I'll get an EUB as I think that early grounding will always be with me. You're going to have loads of fun.

One weird thing though. When I played DB, I used to play with the bass resting against me and my left leg up on a chair. All fine in a youth orchestra but now I find I want to play my bass standing up, with my leg resting on something ..... one habit I must find a way to break before it becomes too permanent :ph34r: .

Hope you have a fantastic weekend and er, good luck with the gerbil ;) .

I'd love to try a DB. But I dont have the space, and I'm not good enough to play one!! - I take my hats off to all upright bass players, I may call myself a bass player but the upright guys are the "True" bass players IMHO.

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1337327962' post='1658033']
I look forward to your post in about 12 months about how you met up with XXXXXX and picked up a 3/4 DB.
It WILL happen, I speak from experience. I followed the same path :D
[/quote]
Mate i would love one but the lack of space in my house is something that i cannot change unfortunately. If i went a step up i'd have to go another electric ......which is a bit of a bugger but I'm very happy with this move.

My other half was blown away with the new toy, she even had a go herself.
I'm just kicking myself that i didn't bring it to work to practice here during my dinner break.My next purchase is a power ball for as i lost my last one to help with wrist endurance & strength.

Edited by fumps

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1337331309' post='1658122']
You are not helping my GAS gav..... :(
[/quote]
You need to do this........go on all the cool kids are doing it......meet you round the back of the bike sheds for a sneeky go on an upright.....first go is free
:sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1337328198' post='1658038']
I'd love to try a DB. But I dont have the space, and I'm not good enough to play one!! - I take my hats off to all upright bass players, I may call myself a bass player but the upright guys are the "True" bass players IMHO.
[/quote]

I think there may have been an argument for that 50 years ago but the electric has its own majesty now and I don't think its in anyone's shadow. I think there is a holdover from the idea that a d bass hails from the legitimate area of classical music and, as it is studied in Conservatoires etc, it is somehow 'better' that the e-bass but, as I said, I don't think that's really a credible argument anymore.

Good to hear the OP is developing in a new direction. Always a good thing.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1337332819' post='1658176']

Can I have a go on the new bass sometime? :)
[/quote]
Mate of course you can, i have been collating Beers for you so another meet up will be with EUB in toe. tee hee

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1337331600' post='1658135']
You need to do this........go on all the cool kids are doing it......meet you round the back of the bike sheds for a sneeky go on an upright.....first go is free
:sun_bespectacled:
[/quote]

Is that a euphemism? I only wanted a go on your bass... :o

If, like me, you have no space for a real DB at home, what's going to happen is - you'll get an electric upright that's got FIVE strings, so you're still one up on the previous :D :gas:
And you'll love both the 4 and the 5 to bits :)

Welcome to the club, Fumps! "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" B)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1337336720' post='1658294']
Is that a euphemism? I only wanted a go on your bass... :o
[/quote]
Erm .......no i was offering you a go on my big tall fat one :unsure:

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1337343303' post='1658470']
Welcome to the club, Fumps! "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" B)
[/quote]

I'm hoping for a long stay .......maybe for good. so i hope people are ok with more Fumps on this bit of the forum
:) :)

Yeah I know all about that pain !

One thing about my Stagg which is bugging me is that the holes that the arms fit into arent great . body one on the right hand side just about fits in but the smaller one the left just wont go in . Not a huge problem but I wondered if anyone else had this

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1337350525' post='1658656']
Yeah I know all about that pain !

One thing about my Stagg which is bugging me is that the holes that the arms fit into arent great . body one on the right hand side just about fits in but the smaller one the left just wont go in . Not a huge problem but I wondered if anyone else had this
[/quote]

Yep, its the only thing I dont like about mine. For those complaining about the lack of space for a full db, don't worry you will have one day. Then you will be an old tw*t like me and it will be muscles and joints that are more of a concern :D

Lol one day, I'm hoping that as I'd love to own a propper double bass.
But for the time being I'm going to do my utmost to do the stagg justice.

So for now guys I'm one of the stagg clan
***puts hands on head to do an impression of a stagg***

Moo!!!

Aww I'm not sure what noise a Stagg makes.

Erm....quack !!!!

Edited by fumps

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1337351558' post='1658675']
Yep, its the only thing I dont like about mine. For those complaining about the lack of space for a full db, don't worry you will have one day. Then you will be an old tw*t like me and it will be muscles and joints that are more of a concern :D
[/quote]

LOL - thing is, as far as my small (top floor) flat is concerned, besides the constant risk of knocking over or damaging a DB, there's the problem of central heating and/or sunshine coming through the windows (British Weather permitting). If the only potential spaces available are right in front of a radiator or in corners where the temperature soars when it's sunny outside, the poor thing is going to get warped in no time.
At the moment I'm keeping all my music equipment in the only corner that's as far as possible from radiators and protected from sunshine by a curtain. But that corner is too crowded already...
Many other would-be double bassists may have similar problems in their homes.