Why become a member? ×

OLP Stingray For Tokai Jazz Swap, Opinions Please

Ska Man

Hi Guys,
[attachment=107957:098.jpg]Ive got an OLP stingray for sale. Its a natural wood finish with 1 pick up and 3 band passive eq. A guy is interested in it and has asked if I would give him €200 and the OLP for his Tokai Jazz. The Tokai is 80's and mint. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? How much are each of these bass's worth. Sorry if these questions are a bit lame but Im not really up to speed on whats what as Ive owned and played a Fender P for the last 18 years. Thanks for any help gentlemen. Mick :)

Hi Mick, the 80's Tokais are generally held in high regard. Whether it's worth it is really down to your judgement. Is it convenient to try the Tokai out? If it feels right then do it, if not, don't. It's hard to say yes or no based on other peoples valuations of each. If the Tokai is a dog, it's not worth the trade. If it's a good one, you might get the best deal of your life.

[quote name='Ska Man' timestamp='1337028176' post='1654403']
Hi Guys,
[attachment=107957:098.jpg]Ive got an OLP stingray for sale. Its a natural wood finish with 1 pick up and 3 band passive eq. A guy is interested in it and has asked if I would give him €200 and the OLP for his Tokai Jazz. The Tokai is 80's and mint. Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? How much are each of these bass's worth. Sorry if these questions are a bit lame but Im not really up to speed on whats what as Ive owned and played a Fender P for the last 18 years. Thanks for any help gentlemen. Mick :)
[/quote]

bite the guys hand off....those tokai hard punchers are awesome, and very rare, im out for one myself....

I would say it`s a good deal as OLP`s usually go for £120-£150 and a Tokia around £370-£480 ish. The Tokia is always going to be worth the same money, certainly not any less, mabye a bit more in the future if it`s in decent nick and if you say this one is mint, I would go for it.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Ska Man' timestamp='1337028176' post='1654403']
Hi Guys,
[/quote]

3-band passive EQ?

I wouldn't call it that.

Yours looks like one of the very first OLP MM2 basses. They did have two (passive) tone controls and one volume control. I would have assumed they would work like G&L L2000 passive tone controls, but the one I had didn't: both controls worked very similarly, but perhaps a previous owner had replaced the caps with the wrong values, as the wiring did seem to have been messed with.

Those Tokais have great reputation, and as much as I love OLPs, those very first ones tended to be heavy and not that inspiring. It seems like a good deal to me.

[quote name='greyparrot' timestamp='1337031701' post='1654490']
bite the guys hand off....those tokai hard punchers are awesome, and very rare, im out for one myself....
[/quote]

This, but it'll be a "Jazz Sound". The Hard Punchers are P bass clones (aren't they?!)

Yes - the Hard Puncher is the P-bass copy.

Whether the trade is worth it is entirely subjective, but simply from a financial PoV I'd want to be absolutely sure that the Tokai was indeed a MIJ from the 80s. They still make J-bass copies although most of them now come from Korea or China and consequently aren't as desirable.

• 4 months later...