Why become a member? ×

The strangest bass part I've ever had to play.

leschirons

Just said goodbye to a couple of French guys who have a blues duo (two guitars) They'd called and asked me put down a bass part for a CD they are recording. Said it was something I'd know so they came over with a laptop and an Edirol racky type thing. I have a small studio with all my gear in so in we went.

I've just put down the bass to Honkytonk woman, in 3/4 time, and they wanted fretless. About the same tempo as "You picked a fine time to leave me" by Kenny Rogers. They're now on their way to get the accordian part put down :blink:

Strangely enough, it appears to work although I'm not sure Mick & Keef would approve :lol:

How odd. I played with a drummer who couldn't play in 3/4 and anything in 3/4 morphed into 4/4 but I'm struggling to see how Honky Tonk Woman fits into 3/4. Jumping Jack Flash maybe....

Edited by TimR

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1336507996' post='1646742']
I played Honky Tonk Woman live last year on a Pedulla fretless and I was free to have a bass solo..
I added some distortion and it was great fun..still in 4/4 though..
[/quote]
4/4? No possibility of a Waltz and no accordian? You just don't understand Rock & Roll over there do you :lol:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1336509364' post='1646775']
How odd. I played with a drummer who couldn't play in 3/4 and anything in 3/4 morphed into 4/4 but I'm struggling to see how Honky Tonk Woman fits into 3/4. Jumping Jack Flash maybe....
[/quote]

Quite easily, all the phrasing fits spot on. He had no problem with the vocals and there were no drums involved. They just had a weird idea to do a melange of R&Roll and "Dansette" (Tea dance type of stuff over here)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1336506872' post='1646698']
I've just put down the bass to Honkytonk woman, in 3/4 time, and they wanted fretless. About the same tempo as "You picked a fine time to leave me" by Kenny Rogers. They're now on their way to get the accordion part put down :blink:
[/quote]

Sounds like it will be infinitely better than the original.

The spell checker on my computer just highlighted "Honkytonk". When I right clicked for the correct spelling it changed it to "Phytoplankton" :lol:

Once upon a time, on a ferry to France, I was witness to the entertainment provided by Sid and Doris Bonkers, who, with the aid of their trusty drum machine, and apparently entirely intentionally, managed to play 'Delilah' in 4/4 time

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1336506872' post='1646698']
Just said goodbye to a couple of French guys who have a blues duo (two guitars) They'd called and asked me put down a bass part for a CD they are recording. Said it was something I'd know so they came over with a laptop and an Edirol racky type thing. I have a small studio with all my gear in so in we went.

I've just put down the bass to Honkytonk woman, in 3/4 time, and they wanted fretless. About the same tempo as "You picked a fine time to leave me" by Kenny Rogers. They're now on their way to get the accordian part put down :blink:

Strangely enough, it appears to work although I'm not sure Mick & Keef would approve :lol:
[/quote]

Maybe they were Sinti Gypsies? these guys are amazing! if their adding accordion, maybe going to sound like French MUSETTE, I play quite a bit of this stuff which sometimes morphs from 4/4 swing to Parissian waltz.

[quote name='ceilidhswinger' timestamp='1336576646' post='1647802']
Maybe they were Sinti Gypsies? these guys are amazing! if their adding accordion, maybe going to sound like French MUSETTE, I play quite a bit of this stuff which sometimes morphs from 4/4 swing to Parissian waltz.
[/quote]

Yes basically it will be Musette when the accordion is in there. They just use the term Dansette here for the little get togethers for the "find a partner" evenings in the local villages. We are after all in La Creuse where dress up for the evening in your best clothes usually means a slightly less smelly pair of blue overalls that you've only worn for 4 months :lol:

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1336580511' post='1647916'] Yes basically it will be Musette when the accordion is in there. They just use the term Dansette here for the little get togethers for the "find a partner" evenings in the local villages. We are after all in La Creuse where dress up for the evening in your best clothes usually means a slightly less smelly pair of blue overalls that you've only worn for 4 months :lol: [/quote]

We are in the Charente and its not much different, but I have noticed they are leaning more towards green with the two zips down the front. They also go as far as getting their bestest bright blue work clothes out for funerals, L'eglise is just opposite us and it looks like a workers convention when they are all filing in.