Why become a member? ×

Cash Generator discovery...

Mokl

Popped into the local Cash Generator to cast a quick glance over the instruments. Never gotten lucky before, but I occasionally check in the vain hope that I might find a 60's Jazz for a tenner. Well, today I found something almost as good, if not quite as valuable.

I almost missed the black shape in the corner with no price label on it, but I spotted it just as I was walking past. Close inspection revealed a slightly tatty, but cool-looking 5 string bass. First thing that struck me were the wooden machine-head tops, then the "G" logo with "Handcrafted in England" printed below on the headstock.

I looked again, the shape was a little unusual.... what could it be that was handmade in England and beginning with "G", surely it couldn't be a Goodfellow?!

I called over the assistant and took a closer look, ascertained the price, and decided that although I couldn't be sure it was definitely worth a punt as it seemed like a nice bass anyway. The guy behind the counter said he had searched for G Basses or Goodman guitars online, but found no match for it. As soon as I got it back to work I unscrewed the control plate.... printed on the PCB was the name Goodfellow! I whooped with joy and proceeded to plug it in. It works! It sounds killer - even with dead strings and the action all over the place.

20 mins tweaking has already gotten the action feeling good; I know that this is going to come up lovely with a bit of polish and lemon oil. Pictures to follow!

I can't find much info on Goodfellow bass models online, perhaps some of the more knowledgable amongst you will be able to help me ascertain more precisely what it is. Age wise I reckon mid eighties, although I may be wrong, Can't find a serial number as yet and the bass is still at work (hiding from the wife!).

Edited by Mokl

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='177364' date='Apr 15 2008, 09:04 PM']i suspect we're probably more interested in finding out how much you paid for it. :)

You could always give Bernie Goodfellow a call I guess?[/quote]

It was an embarrassingly small amount (included an SKB case too!). I just hope there's nothing "dodgy" about how it found it's way into Cash Generator....

NIce one, !!!!!!! congrats all round, cant wait to see pics, I love that stuff.

on a similar vein, our John, got given a right old vox combo "for guitar", what a pile of rubbish, i wouldnt put it in the works van, talk about filthy, mice once lived in it yuk...... :)

he fiddled with a couple of valves, and it only worked, !!!!!!!!!! one speaker mind, and sounded , well, really nice, but the smell, !!! sheeeez

bit later we chucked it on the evilbay, for a laugh, 99p no reserve, on a five day listing, lol, THE SMELL

only made £743.00p !!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

Next morning 7.30 a m,, my house, blokes there with the cash, has a cuppa, and takes the amp out of it, only a couple of things, out she slides, then the starts getting well excited, like shaking a bit,

turns out to be a forerunner prototype of the AC50 twin, cause its got the original wooden transformers or something, as rare as hens teeth or similar, this guys a dealer in this stuff, Vox, ect and hes chuffed big time, like the holy grail, hmmmmm

our John and me, well, were chuffed, we got £743.0 for it, well pleased, so we went to the pub to celebrate, great stuff.

The blokes name was, Ted, from Teddington, true, I just remembered that bit, Enjoy

Nice one. There are 3 types of Goodfellow.

1. Bernie started making basses in the 1980's. The guy playing for Paul Weller on Live Aid (the original) is using one.
2. Bernie then did a deal with Lowden to mass produce basses in his name. This bear the Goodfellow name and are often sold as "Hand made by Bernie" but they are not. There have been some on here that I showed him that were not hand made. Bernie got ripped off on the deal so.
3. Bernie started making basses again. He could not use Goodfellow cos he had sold his name to Lowden so he called the new basses GB and the rest is history.

This sounds like a type 1. Give Bernie a call. Even if its a Lowden they were good basses.

[quote name='thylacine23' post='177470' date='Apr 15 2008, 11:23 PM']Next morning 7.30 a m,, my house, blokes there with the cash, has a cuppa, and takes the amp out of it, only a couple of things, out she slides, then the starts getting well excited, like shaking a bit,

turns out to be a forerunner prototype of the AC50 twin, cause its got the original wooden transformers or something, as rare as hens teeth or similar, this guys a dealer in this stuff, Vox, ect and hes chuffed big time, like the holy grail, hmmmmm[/quote]
Great story. I've got one too but a little different. Found this Jaydee for sale on Ebay a few years back:

From the listing he thought it probably wouldn't be of much interest and the starting price was £90. I made a quick call to John Diggins because it looked to me like someone had chopped the wings off a Roadie, given them a bit of a plane and stuck 'em back on.

Only it turned out that this was one of a series of prototype basses that John made for Geezer Butler. So after pondering about whether I'll snap it up, I decided to tell the bloke instead. Turns out he was a really nice chap and a bit down on his luck financially. Geezer was one of his bass heroes too so he was well chuffed and said the bass was going up on his wall at home.

Only thing was that it came back up on Ebay about 6 months later and made £560. Turned out that he still needed the money.

Will try and put some pics up tonight when I get the bass home. The logo is simply a "G", with the words "Handcrafted in England" written beneath. The machine heads all have the "G" stamped on the back too. Does that help to identify it's origins?

[quote name='Mokl' post='177650' date='Apr 16 2008, 10:17 AM']Will try and put some pics up tonight when I get the bass home. The logo is simply a "G", with the words "Handcrafted in England" written beneath. The machine heads all have the "G" stamped on the back too. Does that help to identify it's origins?[/quote]

Sounds like a Goodfellow - will be able to tell more with some pics.

If this story turns out to be an urban myth I shall be giving my mate a swift kick in the testes :)

Friend of mine (proper friend not urban myth made up friend) is a Sparkie in a factory and his work mate (also Sparkie) did a bit of wiring work for a studio in Newcastle, he got the fiddle job as he plays a bit of guitar but not in a band or anything. Anyways the studio is being refurbed by the new owner who as it happened was running low on funds but offered this Sparkie a guitar rather than pay him cash but the guy knocked him back as he was happy with his Epi. In the end he takes an old Marshall valve amp which is in need of some TLC (it was cattle trucked), being a Sparkie and quite into valves he accepts this amp as the equivalent to (after some negotiating) £100 worth of work.

Gets it home, manages to get it working with a little bit of coaxing but it is still a bit 'poorly', so he gets on to Marshall to ask for some schematics/guidance and availability of a few bits. They asked for the serial number etc to see what they could do... turns out the amp was one of several given to some bloke called Hendrix and may well have found its way into the studio via Chas Chandler. Me thinks he'll get his £100 back from any subsequent sale :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='177801' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:41 PM']If this story turns out to be an urban myth I shall be giving my mate a swift kick in the testes :)

Friend of mine (proper friend not urban myth made up friend) is a Sparkie in a factory and his work mate (also Sparkie) did a bit of wiring work for a studio in Newcastle, he got the fiddle job as he plays a bit of guitar but not in a band or anything. Anyways the studio is being refurbed by the new owner who as it happened was running low on funds but offered this Sparkie a guitar rather than pay him cash but the guy knocked him back as he was happy with his Epi. In the end he takes an old Marshall valve amp which is in need of some TLC (it was cattle trucked), being a Sparkie and quite into valves he accepts this amp as the equivalent to (after some negotiating) £100 worth of work.

Gets it home, manages to get it working with a little bit of coaxing but it is still a bit 'poorly', so he gets on to Marshall to ask for some schematics/guidance and availability of a few bits. They asked for the serial number etc to see what they could do... turns out the amp was one of several given to some bloke called Hendrix and may well have found its way into the studio via Chas Chandler. Me thinks he'll get his £100 back from any subsequent sale :huh:[/quote]

Would be cool if it wasn't an urban myth. Hopefully it is the real deal... I love it when things turn out like that. I am a little sceptical though - remember the ebay amp that was sprayed with "the Jimi Hendrix Experience" on it? It was eventually auctioned off. Anyway, prior to the auction, it went back to Marshall to authenticate it but they were unable to determine it was Jimi's. It was deemed that it was more than likely his because it matched pictures... but Marshall could never verify the serial...

[quote name='thylacine23' post='177470' date='Apr 15 2008, 11:23 PM']NIce one, !!!!!!! congrats all round, cant wait to see pics, I love that stuff.

on a similar vein, our John, got given a right old vox combo "for guitar", what a pile of rubbish, i wouldnt put it in the works van, talk about filthy, mice once lived in it yuk...... :)

he fiddled with a couple of valves, and it only worked, !!!!!!!!!! one speaker mind, and sounded , well, really nice, but the smell, !!! sheeeez

bit later we chucked it on the evilbay, for a laugh, 99p no reserve, on a five day listing, lol, THE SMELL

only made £743.00p !!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Next morning 7.30 a m,, my house, blokes there with the cash, has a cuppa, and takes the amp out of it, only a couple of things, out she slides, then the starts getting well excited, like shaking a bit,

turns out to be a forerunner prototype of the AC50 twin, cause its got the original wooden transformers or something, as rare as hens teeth or similar, this guys a dealer in this stuff, Vox, ect and hes chuffed big time, like the holy grail, hmmmmm

our John and me, well, were chuffed, we got £743.0 for it, well pleased, so we went to the pub to celebrate, great stuff.

The blokes name was, Ted, from Teddington, true, I just remembered that bit, Enjoy[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
NOT........TWO TON TED FROM TEDDINGTON AND HE DROVE THE BAKERS VAN!........HES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF ERNIE THE FASTEST MILKMAN IN THE WEST! ;) :huh: ;) :D ;) ;) ;)

Here's a couple of quick snaps. Needs a good polish and some touch up paint, but I think it'll polish up okay. Electrics all working well and sounding good - sounds not unlike to my Wal to be honest, and a similar feel too. If anyone can cast any light as to age/model/value, I'd be very grateful!

Truss rod nut seems to be rounded off, but just about get away with 45 gauge strings, although I wouldn't mind slackening it a turn to allow me to fit a lighter set. Bridge is bit corroded and truss rod cover is missing.... also a couple of juicy dings, but nothing too awful. Can't really complain though, can I?!

[quote name='Mokl' post='178214' date='Apr 16 2008, 07:11 PM']Truss rod nut seems to be rounded off, but just about get away with 45 gauge strings, although I wouldn't mind slackening it a turn to allow me to fit a lighter set. Bridge is bit corroded and truss rod cover is missing.... also a couple of juicy dings, but nothing too awful. Can't really complain though, can I?![/quote]

MB1. :)
...DUNNO?...."What did you pay for her?" :huh:

As for what I paid... it was in the region of second-hand Squier money (nothing wrong with those by the way!). Too cheap to not have a punt at any rate.

Anybody able to tell me any more about the bass from the pics? Controls are pretty standard: bass, mid, treble, blend and vol.

well its defo an early goodfellow and if you got it fdr the price of a used squire thats a bargain! the body shape is the same as my old 001 with the bump out of the bottom and two strap buttons. mine had the same 'G' logo but not the writing underneath. here she be...when last seen for sale in a shop somewhere! doh - big mistake getting rid of that!

[attachment=7800:Goodfellowbass.jpg]

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

[quote name='610*c' post='178316' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:05 PM']Nice bass. Guess where im going tomorow.. How much did you say you paid? lol[/quote]

There was a WAL on ebay last year that a guy had picked up from CC: he wanted over £1500 for it which was fair enough but told everyone how he got it and how little he paid for it which rankled a little!

My CC never has anything decent in, I always check on Mondays which is the day many will be selling off gear (and I mean electrical) although I guess both meanings are true! :)