Why become a member? ×

Cash Generator discovery...

Mokl

[quote name='Mokl' post='179847' date='Apr 18 2008, 03:40 PM']Hey, no worries. I'm sure no offence was intended.

A little update: I spoke to Bernie Goodfellow today and he confirmed that it is a Lowden. Still a great quality bass though, from what I can tell. I'd never spoken with him before, but he seems like an incredibly nice bloke and didn't seem to mind me bothering him at all. All of this has gotten me thinking that I really would like one of those GB's now..... lol!!![/quote]
Bernie's a really good bloke and that's typical of him to give you his time like that...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='180060' date='Apr 18 2008, 07:16 PM']Just spoke to Bernie and he confirmed that he built this in his shed in 83/84 or something like that. The Goodfellow bridge was added later. This was before he became a full time luthier and it was just a hobby. It was originally built for Mark Pinto. It should be passive and have Kent Armstrong pickups in it (assuming it hasn't been modified since being built).[/quote]

yeah my old singer was in a band with bernie a few years back and he vaguely quizzed him about it. by the time i got it it was active, and had a battery compartment in the back, the cover of which had some electronics company name on it but can't think what it was. the volume knob was push/pull for active on or off. i picked the bass up s/h in a small guitar shop in norwich. it came in one of those now sought after Wal lozenge cases too!

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

[quote name='3V17C' post='180227' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:43 PM']yeah my old singer was in a band with bernie a few years back and he vaguely quizzed him about it. by the time i got it it was active, and had a battery compartment in the back, the cover of which had some electronics company name on it but can't think what it was. the volume knob was push/pull for active on or off. i picked the bass up s/h in a small guitar shop in norwich. it came in one of those now sought after Wal lozenge cases too!

peace

c[/quote]

Cool - of course, the "Rumour-esque" shape was still evolving at this time... we can quite clearly see the evolution of the shape from the natural bass, to the Lowden bass, to the GB bass we know today.