Why become a member? ×

acoustic bass guitars

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Hello all,

Tempted to experiment with an acoustic bass guitar for a new project I'm involved with.
The trouble is I know nothing about them.

I've had a quick search here, but uncovered little.

I'd love some anecdotal user reports
from anyone here who uses one

I'm interested in a 4 string, 34" scale, but would consider 32".I'd like something that throws out a reasonable amount of sound.

As always, sadly, budget is an issue.

Thanks for any pointers.

Ceers
Thomas

[quote name='merchant' timestamp='1334763036' post='1620837']

I'm interested in a 4 string, 34" scale, but would consider 32".I'd like [b]something that throws out a reasonable amount of sound.[/b]

[/quote]

And there's where it all falls down - the acoustic bass guitar (or at least the ones I've played) lacks the internal volume and surface area required to put out much sound on its own. There's a reason why a double bass is the size it is. Any I've tried (Takamine G series, Ibanez AEB, crappy £50 ebay thing) are drowned out by a single acoustic guitar and in practice need to be amplified to be used in any ensemble musical context. So you need to amp it anyway, which apart from the attendant risks of feedback means that apart from aesthetics you really are no better off than using an electric bass. Useful for solo practice, particularly the ones with built in tuners, but apart from that offer no advantages over a regular electric bass as well as bringing other problems (feedback when amplified, physically bulkier, more fragile).

They are pretty though, and if you want one then go for it. Just be aware that it isn't some panacea that magically means you can just turn up with the bass and play.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334764134' post='1620876']
Any I've tried (Takamine G series, Ibanez AEB, crappy £50 ebay thing) are drowned out by a single acoustic guitar and in practice need to be amplified to be used in any ensemble musical context. So you need to amp it anyway, which apart from the attendant risks of feedback means that [b]apart from aesthetics you really are no better off than using an electric bass[/b].
[/quote]

Exactly my experience.

Add a Westfield cheapo and a Fender Kingman to the list of similarly afflicted, btw. If you must have one, do yourself a favour and get one with a standard size and shape sound hole so that you can buy a feedback eliminator (more like 'reducer' in reality) to bung in there.

Basically what everybody has said - in a band situation, the lack of volume is always going to be the issue with an acoustic bass - I generally only use mine to work things out. I wouldn't say that they have no advantages over an electric bass - if you're after an acoustic tone you can't duplicate this on any electric basses. Mine is for sale if you're interested..

Guest Jecklin

brilliant!

Thanks for so many quick replies :) .

Ha yes, when I said throws out as much volume I knew what the limitations of the physicality of the instrument would impose.
It was more as a way to practice acoustically.

The band I'm putting together is not a conventional set up and would only be playing at more unusual events so feedback wouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll give the situation a little more thought and get back via PM to those selling.

Cheers
Thomas

For what its worth, I too have tryed a few of these over the last few years. I now have a Washburn AB20 (and its awsome) the sound is just the muts nuts and generaly i learn most new tunes on it acusticly, so long as the tv aint on its just loud enuf. It has a top qualaty EQ so amped through a clean amp you can get the same sound as you do accousticly. Feed back is allways an ishue with an accustic but the washburn has slots rather than a sound hole so i have never had feed back from this bass. I would put a pic up but i dont know how :blush:

How bout a resonator bass?

For sale [url="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041T4DHC/ref=asc_df_B0041T4DHC1982563?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0041T4DHC&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=871354586724909031&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt="]Here[/url] or [url="http://www.banjosdirect.co.uk/goldtone-pbb-paul-beard-resonator-bass-guitar-471-p.asp"]Here[/url]

Puts out a bit more volume naturally than a standard acoustic bass guitar. However I agree that some amplification is best when using these types of basses. By the way, the Gold Tone does have a decent pickup in it and sounds pretty nice... resonably priced and is 32" scale.

-Mark

As everyone has pointed out, acoustic bass has limitations in band, live, jamming, situations.

However, use it for what it's great for and you'll love it. Solo practice, or just twiddling around aimlessly, I find that having an acoustic bass inspires me to play more. No faff, and you can play it anywhere.

I've always had fretless acoustics with flat-wounds, so the experience very different to my thumb bass. I love them.

Ok...here's the acoustic basses I like

Warwick Alien
Breedlove Atlas
Boulder Creek EBR

My local store has a Breedlove Atlas (Studio model I think...rosewood back and sides) and sounds absolutely stunning. Plays beautifully too. I was going to buy one one myself a year ago to use on my friends acoustic album, but that project fell through. Definately worth taking a look at.

Hey,
I have a Dean Electro-Acoustic Bass, which cost about £180 new. I think it puts out a pretty decent sound, especially for the price, an amp would obviously help though when you're playing along with others.
I think the reason that the sound is kinda big, is because of the size of the bass. The body is HUGE! And it allows for a big booming sound. This is great as it doesnt cost too much and sounds pretty loud unplugged, a downside is that finding a case for it has proved difficult. I've had it for almost 2 and a half years now, and my search hasn't been successfull. There are some online when i last checked in the US, but they dont ship to the UK, and for a hard case (along with shipping and maybe customs) I'd probably end up spending as much as I had done on the bass itself.
The size of the guitar does make it a little more tough to play as you need to adjust to having that big body in the way, it was a big shift from playing my Precision. But you get used to it.

But if that doesnt bother you, then its a pretty good bass I say , it looks rather beautiful, has a nice comfortable neck. :)

Edited by Townes1992

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1334825921' post='1621775']
Hey,
I have a Dean Electro-Acoustic Bass, which cost about £180 new. I think it puts out a pretty decent sound, especially for the price, an amp would obviously help though when you're playing along with others.
I think the reason that the sound is kinda big, is because of the size of the bass. The body is HUGE! And it allows for a big booming sound. This is great as it doesnt cost too much and sounds pretty loud unplugged, a downside is that finding a case for it has proved difficult. I've had it for almost 2 and a half years now, and my search hasn't been successfull. There are some online when i last checked in the US, but they dont ship to the UK, and for a hard case (along with shipping and maybe customs) I'd probably end up spending as much as I had done on the bass itself.
The size of the guitar does make it a little more tough to play as you need to adjust to having that big body in the way, it was a big shift from playing my Precision. But you get used to it.

But if that doesnt bother you, then its a pretty good bass I say , it looks rather beautiful, has a nice comfortable neck. :)
[/quote]

Not sure of the size of your bass but my Protection Racket case is more than up to the job..check out their website..

My first good acoustic bass was a Godin. Canadian luthier.
You can have it fretted or fretless.
Incredible look, very minimalist. A long thumbrest upper the E string.

Beautiful LR Bagg's amp and Piezo pick ups.
It needs to be amplified, of course. But the sound once plugged.

Thanks the owner for lending this beauty

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1335482885' post='1632166']
My first good acoustic bass was a Godin. Canadian luthier.
You can have it fretted or fretless.
Incredible look, very minimalist. A long thumbrest upper the E string.

Beautiful LR Bagg's amp and Piezo pick ups.
It needs to be amplified, of course. But the sound once plugged.

Thanks the owner for lending this beauty

[/quote]

I've copied and saved/printed a copy of that bass in my picture book of things I wanna play some day - my Bucket List if you will.

As it is, I love my Ibanez AEB10-BEK-B - and every time I play bass - I take an amplifier. I want the voice, and I feel amp'ing it is a natural, so why would that bother anyone?

Basses need amplification - no?

I've had two acoustic basses, a Cort, with a Fishman pickup which I then sold to buy my current Crafter, who uses their own electronics.

In both cases I found that when playing with acoustic bands, these basses needed more work on the eq's to get a workable tone. They tended to be more mid-rangey and trebly and feedback was always an issue, although less so on the smaller-bodied Crafter.

At the moment I use my P-bass strung with D'Addario Chrome Flats for "acoustic" gigs with my band.

I've always thought of acoustic basses as a nice-to-have around the house, but a bit too singular for live use, unless you're playing in a Violent Femmes cover band.

Ahem!
(Looks a little embarrassed)
Care to take a look?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170046-crafter-ba-400eq-electro-acoustic-fretless-fender-deluxe-gig-bag-now-l190/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/170046-crafter-ba-400eq-electro-acoustic-fretless-fender-deluxe-gig-bag-now-l190/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I've just bought a Vintage 430 for 200 quid. It's very good actually, nice action, feels robust, as above not loud without an amp but sounds quite double bass like when amped on 'clean'. I'm gonna use it for a bit of Nirvana un-plugged and home noodling. Just handy to have around the house.