Why become a member? ×

BC London Meetup - Saturday 26th May

Silvia Bluejay

Good work BJ. I must admit ive never asked about the food and drink thing but ive seen a lot of people taking picnics etc up there. I think its probably best not to sit on the cafe's chairs if you aren't buying but they seem ok with sitting elsewhere with your own food.
Im good for anywhere up there, so ill go with the flow.

They're still changing it as we speak! Lots of building work due to several festivals, the Jubilee, etc.

Dave, I agree. I got the impression that only the tables under the parasols are part of the bar area, while everywhere else seemed to be free for anyone to stay even without buying drinks.
So, I will aim for the grassy area first of all.

Sean, I'll be there at 12 o'clock, everybody else feel free to come along when you can.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1337796362' post='1665638']
AAALL right - I went there, admittedly long before rush hour, but there appeared to be rather enough space, and hopefully the situation will be similar on Saturday around noon.

So, for anyone who may be coming from outside London and not be sure where exactly we are meeting up, the place is this (up the staircase):

Nearest tube stations Embankment on the north bank and Waterloo on the south bank.

Now, you guys tell me where you'd like us to pitch our tents, so to speak, so that I know where to park myself when I arrive there.

This is the grassy area to the left of the entrance:

And this is the decked seating area (there's more at the bottom of the garden, on the left):

(yes, the "vase" in the foreground on the left [b]is [/b]a toilet bowl...)

There is an area with small wrought iron tables and chairs too:

I think we should be able to stay in the garden, and bring some of our own drinks, as long as we also buy a few drinks from their bar. Anyone know otherwise? I decided not to ask ;)
[/quote]

I am on crutches, stairs are my enemy... :(

If anyone is coming from Waterloo you can access the rear entrance (giggady :) of the garden directly from Waterloo bridge. This would save going around the front.
I'll get a pic up tonight showing which entrance to take off the bridge.

There is a lift at the back of the garden if anyone is bringing a BBQ or sofa lol.

Looking forward to it now, should be fun :)
I reckon we should have a BC drinking game, based on whenever someone mentions the following:

pre-amp = 1 sip
truss rod = 2 sips
clutterbuck = 3 sips
impedance = 4 sips

That's what I'll be doing anyway, if you all start going all 'techie' !! :P

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1337854528' post='1666327']
I reckon we should have a BC drinking game, based on whenever someone mentions the following:

pre-amp = 1 sip
truss rod = 2 sips
clutterbuck = 3 sips
impedance = 4 sips

[/quote]

I'll be on H2O (I'm teetotal!), so I'll happily mention, and add to the list:

Low/high action - 3 sips
Intonation/saddles - 4 sips
Pickup height - 2 sips
Nut adjustment (only on Warwicks and a few other clever basses!) - 3 sips

:D :D :D

Thanks BJ.
The club is a strange one. We've been playing it for a few years and its always been less than half full, if that, but a couple of years ago they spent £30,000 on a field array PA and made the hall bigger. Since then its been a good place to play as we dont have to take a PA but it means we play to even more empty seats.

There wont be any pictures as this is a ticket only event so we wont have any friends there. There is a George Michael tribute and Supreme Divas of Motown are doing a set so lots to see while we sit around for almost 4 hours :-(

Dave - if those two tributes bands are decent musicians, it shouldn't be a bad night (although having to go on stage past midnight definitely sucks for you guys).

Kiwi, you must return to visit us one day! Chiswick and surrounds look lovely in the sunshine (we're having our three statutory days of summer right now) :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1337858725' post='1666440']
Dave - if those two tributes bands are decent musicians, it shouldn't be a bad night (although having to on stage past midnight definitely sucks for you guys).

[/quote]

I dont know much about the Diva's but im pretty sure both acts are just singing to backing tracks. Considering this is a social club gig im really not looking forward to it, especially the very early sound check. Our first set is at 8.05 for 1 hour then not back on until 12.35.
Best load up the iPad with some Inbetweeners i suppose.

I'd much rather be out in the sun with you lot late afternoon :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1337854528' post='1666327']

pre-amp = 1 sip
truss rod = 2 sips
clutterbuck = 3 sips
impedance = 4 sips

[/quote]
[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1337855244' post='1666341']
I'll be on H2O (I'm teetotal!), so I'll happily mention, and add to the list:

Low/high action - 3 sips
Intonation/saddles - 4 sips
Pickup height - 2 sips
Nut adjustment (only on Warwicks and a few other clever basses!) - 3 sips

:D :D :D
[/quote]

And how many sips for anyone who mentions the 'S' word - slapping!! :D

I'm afraid I still can't make this one as my gig is a charity event in Gravesend, Kent, and we have to be there for around 3/3.30.
You guys have picked a great location, especially with the weather on the day looking to be warm and sunny.
Have a good one, Hopefully, I'll catch the next one. :)

Steve

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1337859044' post='1666451']
I dont know much about the Diva's but im pretty sure both acts are just singing to backing tracks. Considering this is a social club gig im really not looking forward to it, especially the very early sound check. Our first set is at 8.05 for 1 hour then not back on until 12.35.
Best load up the iPad with some Inbetweeners i suppose.

I'd much rather be out in the sun with you lot late afternoon :)
[/quote]

Dave, sounds like you're playing Hayes WMC. I've also been playing this one for a few years and by koinkidink, I'm playing a cabaret night there on the next Bank Holiday Monday. It's a Jubilee celebration though I'm not sure who else is booked. Like you, we'll be doing the early then late spot to close the show so defo a late night. have a good one yourself and don't forget the matchsticks for your eyelids! ;)

Spot on Steve, small world eh?

As you know the back stage area is nice if there's only one band, but with three on (and one all women) its going to force us to sit out front so no chance of a kip.

Nice club though, shame its not busier when we are there. We always seem to get told "oh, it was heaving here last night", Thats probably your lot lol.

Hope your gig goes well. Hopefully we will meet at some point soon.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1337865727' post='1666640']
Spot on Steve, small world eh?

As you know the back stage area is nice if there's only one band, but with three on (and one all women) its going to force us to sit out front so no chance of a kip.

Nice club though, shame its not busier when we are there. We always seem to get told "oh, it was heaving here last night", Thats probably your lot lol.

Hope your gig goes well. Hopefully we will meet at some point soon.
[/quote]

Haha, yes, maybe it was us! Mind you, we've had one or two 'club' nights ourselves, in the past, where attendance was a bit thin. But as they do put on quite a number of 'cabaret' type shows, I guess people can't make every night, especially where there may be an extra cover charge, even for members. We did a gig there once with the 'American Drifters' (one original member left!) and I have to say it was a very good night attendance-wise with a good sound man to drive the PA too. They also seem to book quite a few solo's/duo's with backing tracks to pad things out. That said, even the Drifters were singing to b/tracks. Boo!! ;)

Yep, I'm sure we'll meet up some time soon.

This is the first time in 7 years (other than Holiday camps) where we have shared the billing with someone who isn't a DJ or table magician so im sort of looking forward to see how the night goes.

I guess i'd better break out the SPF100 for Sat, seems like its going to be a scorcher this weekend.