Why become a member? ×

BC London Meetup - Saturday 26th May

Silvia Bluejay

• 3 weeks later...

Darn and double darn!!! I really need to find a bit more time to get on BC more frequently again. I only just spotted this thread and unfortunately I'm playing a Masonic Ladies Night in Gravesend on 26th May. Woulda been great to meet up. If I survive the ladies night thingy I'll hopefully make the next one. :)
I did at least see the thread asking about the next SE Bass Bash which I'd also certainly be up for (...gigs notwithstanding!).
Have fun, anyway, and break out an extra tinnie for me - and don't eat all the pies!!! ;)

Its a shame you cant make it Steve, would be good to put a face to a name.

Im still in but as i have a 3pm sound check im not sure if ill stay too long.

Its a shame its on a Sat as i can imagine a lot of us will be working that night. Im sure we could make it a semi regular thing though.

Maybe we could have a more localised meet one evening in a central area for us locals at some point. Its beautiful down along the river late evening in the summer (thats summer with sun and not rain). when we moved here last year we spent quite a few evenings on the small beach by the OXO tower with a few bottles of wine. Just like being at the seaside.

I would hope so! But PM me if you'd like us to exchange numbers so you can check with me on the day, to be sure we haven't all left by that time.

Choice between the two suggested places for the meetup still open, as we don't know what the weather will be like. Watch this space...

I went on a reccie mission to More London Riverside yesterday.

The place is beautiful. (I hadn't ventured beyond crossing Tower Bridge from the north bank since City Hall was still half way through being built.)
However, considered from the point of view of 10-15 people meeting there on a rainy day, I'm not sure how well More London would work. The only places we could take refuge in in case of downpour appeared to be restaurants, such a Strada and Gaucho, and a couple of small cafes. In the immediate riverside area there are no pubs or gastros or similar places where a reasonably large group could sit and just chat and have a drink.
There are plenty of really nice outdoors areas, such as the Scoop, all the gardens around the buidings, and Potters Field Park, through which I walked to get from the foot of Tower Bridge to the riverside.
The only large covered area I saw was a few minutes' walk along the river to the West, and that's the Hays Galleria. There is also what looks like a "proper" pub in the vicinity of the Galleria, as well as the other usual bars/restaurants/cafes.

In short, the place would be lovely on a dry day, but if it was rainy or threatening to rain, I think we'd have to meet up in the Galleria.

What are everybody's opinions on the above?

I'm going to go on another reccie mission, in Regents Park this time, one of these days, so that I can check if there's an easily recognisable spot for us too meet up in case the weather behaves and we can actually have that picnic instead.

Edited by bluejay

It is nice there isn't it. I love walking from just beyond Tower bridge, all the way up to Vauxhall bridge. You hardly leave the river path.
I'm happy to meat there, in fact it's better for me than one of the parks, due to having to shoot off faily early.

Another suggestion if it's raining might be the Royal Festival hall or the Queen Eleizebeth II hall hext door Plenty of room in there and there is a wonderful outdoor balcony at the top of the RFH that overlooks the Thames. It's part of the building so is covered and it's attached to a fairly quiet seating area.
There is a lot going on, or rather up, in this part of the Southbank at the moment. Getting ready for the summer festivals.

It's also pretty close to Waterloo station.

Edited by dave_bass5

Yup, I agree, the RFH is an excellent idea in case of rain, better than the Galleria, as there is seating available.

I'll go back there to spot a suitable place next time I'm in town during the week, as well as popping down to Regents Park. Then we'll watch the weather forecast and pick the most suitable solution.

Roll on summer! (Please.) :)

Edit: I have amended my intial post on this thread accordingly.

Edited by bluejay

Many thanks for doing all that footwork, bluejay :)

It sounds to me as if RFH would be the best bet from what you and Dave are saying. Plus its really close to Waterloo, which is where my train from Walton on Thames will arrive. So couldn't be handier for me, ha ha! ;)

It's really miserable to sit in outside venue when it isn't actually raining but is cold, damp and gloomy. Which it now seems to be permanently in this country. Not that I'm being pessimistic or anything :rolleyes: I'm still hoping for a change in the weather and we have a good plan either way.

Thanks again bluejay. Looking forward to seeing you soon! :)