Why become a member? ×

BC London Meetup - Saturday 26th May

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1338459557' post='1674814']
They are forecasting dreadful weather for London on Sunday and Monday. Cold as well. So perhaps summer is being suspended for a while (sigh), and that may be one more reason for us to move the meetup to another weekend.
[/quote]

Righty-oh

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1338459557' post='1674814']
They are forecasting dreadful weather for London on Sunday and Monday. Cold as well. So perhaps summer is being suspended for a while (sigh), and that may be one more reason for us to move the meetup to another weekend.
[/quote] might be here all ready. Getting very over-cast and windy in Wembley

• 2 months later...

We're not taking any gear to this sort of meetups, it's just a drink (or a picninc should summer - the real one, not this travety - make an appearance), and any BC member is welcome, and they don't have to be accomplished musicians (I for one am not!). So I'll keep that in mind when I start the new thread and hopefully a few people will be able to come along.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1344021246' post='1758922']
Ouch indeed! All the best - will you be given lots of ice cream afterwards, as they did to kids undergoing that op in the 70s?
I'll start a new thread some time tomorrow, taking all this info into consideration.
[/quote]
Apparently they now feed you burnt toast, to scrape the wound, and encourage it to heal quicker :(

But my freezers gonna be packed with ice-cream for the two weeks off work I`ve got to take after the op :D

@Whynot, I'm planning a drink in a pub or a picnic if the weather is right, so it's going to be entirely free if you bring your food and drink from home.

@Lozz Burnt toast? Bloody hell, I wouldn't eat that stuff even if I didn't have to have an operation, let alone if I did... I hope all goes well with minimal discomfort in any case.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1344023363' post='1758947']
Apparently they now feed you burnt toast, to scrape the wound, and encourage it to heal quicker :(

But my freezers gonna be packed with ice-cream for the two weeks off work I`ve got to take after the op :D
[/quote]

Hi Lozz.

Just to derail the thread a bit here, I had my tonsils out as an adult. The reason for me was I was always getting tonsillitis, and also being run down with general malaise. From what I understand you tonsils act as a filter for your white blood cells, but mine were so badly infected over a number of years that they were putting sh*t back into the system instead of taking it out. So they had to go.

OK. The ice-cream is a myth. I got dry toast and tea, then they try to have you up and out ASAP. The operation itself is not too terrible, but I was good and f***ed for at least two weeks after. I was told that the general anaesthetic was more risky than the op itself, and it felt like 6 months to me before it was out my system. Seeing as your tonsils are part of your immune system, it takes about a year for the whole thing to stabilise, well it did for me anyway.

The main thing is..

Have someone to collect you after the op and take you straight home.
Have someone to take care of you for at least two weeks, you will be knackered
Do what the hospital tell you
Sorry, but lay off the dairy, simple carbs and proteins, it's nowt to do with having a sore throat, but more about restoring the balance in you lymphatic system

And that's it. Hope this helps.