Why become a member? ×

BC London Meetup - Saturday 26th May

Silvia Bluejay

Hey, the weather seems set to improve in the next few days!
However, point taken about Waterloo station and the South Bank being really handy for most of us. I'm fine with us meeting there in any case, whether it's sunny or rainy, as it offers the choice of outdoors and indoors spaces.
If that's all right by everybody, we can simply decide on the exact spot where to meet there, and skip the park for this time.

Ras, I haven't got a smartphone so I can't post live updates, but I'm happy to give my number to those of you who would like to text me on the day to check if we're still there, where we are etc.

Edited by bluejay

Im up for the South bank area. If its a nice day we could even go up to the roof garden above the QE hall. Just look for the yellow staircase.

Be warned, the drinks are not cheap so its advisable to bring your own.

Edited by dave_bass5

I agree. Nothing is cheap in the area, as it's so tourist-y!

OK then, will amend my initial post on this thread and repeat it in a few days' time. Meanwhile, I'll pop down to the south Bank again (love the place!) to have another detailed look, and make sure we all know exactly where to meet up.

Good idea.

The forecast does look promising for this coming weekend. Its typical that i have an early gig no Sat and working from 6am all day Sunday :-(

If you are down there around 6-ish i could meet up with you as i finish work around 5.30.

I have a couple of late-ish meetings with a client in town in the next few days, which I'm afraid probably means I'll only be able to let myself loose on the South Bank in the early afternoon, before going to their office. But if anything changes and I can be there late instead, I'll let you know.

I'm happy to hang on until later as long as some others are up for it. Who have we got coming now? Looking back at this thread it seems we are expecting:

Brummie
ras52
BigJim
Billyapple

Plus us 2 girls and hopefully Dave in the early evening. Also there is a rumour that discreet might put in an appearance!
Doesn't seem a huge amount so far... any other takers out there??

That cool. I guess its better to head off before the rush hour starts and the place starts getting busy.

If i can find it ill bring along my Orange BC tee shirt (the one that shrunk before i got to wear it ;-), we could maybe drape it on a chair or table so others can find us.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1337601539' post='1662486']
I'm happy to hang on until later as long as some others are up for it. Who have we got coming now? Looking back at this thread it seems we are expecting:

Brummie
ras52
BigJim
Billyapple

Plus us 2 girls and hopefully Dave in the early evening. Also there is a rumour that discreet might put in an appearance!
Doesn't seem a huge amount so far... any other takers out there??
[/quote]

Ill be there at the start but have a sound check at 3pm over in Hayes so will need to head off around 2 unfortunately.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1337601876' post='1662490']
Oh I see Dave, I thought you meant you couldn't get there till late. But you were talking about the recce with bluejay.
I'll shut up now as I'm just confusing the issue!
[/quote]

Haha, yeah, i was talking about during the week.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1337768872' post='1665057']
The Met Office is forecasting a max temp of 22 degrees and a sunny, windy day. We should be all right. :)
[/quote]

So snow and sub zero temps then ;-)

There has been quite a bit of work done on the Southbank over the past week. Watch this space now has its turf put down, along with the huge couch and arm chair, there is also a new bar called The Propstore (IIR) that opens tomorrow, as well as what looks liek a new bar up above Watch this space, quite a few new sculptures up by the QE hall and a few more bits or "art" scattered around.
It was very busy yesterday after work, Sat will be even worse so i think meeting at the roof garden will be a good idea as its out of the way.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337774329' post='1665184']
I might join you too.
[/quote]

It would be good to see you there, just dont bring the car ;-)

A bit OT but ive just been looking at all the road closures etc for Sunday 3rd, what a nightmare, glad im not going anywhere that day.

AAALL right - I went there, admittedly long before rush hour, but there appeared to be rather enough space, and hopefully the situation will be similar on Saturday around noon.

So, for anyone who may be coming from outside London and not be sure where exactly we are meeting up, the place is this (up the staircase):

Nearest tube stations Embankment on the north bank and Waterloo on the south bank.

Now, you guys tell me where you'd like us to pitch our tents, so to speak, so that I know where to park myself when I arrive there.

This is the grassy area to the left of the entrance:

And this is the decked seating area (there's more at the bottom of the garden, on the left):

(yes, the "vase" in the foreground on the left [b]is [/b]a toilet bowl...)

There is an area with small wrought iron tables and chairs too:

I think we should be able to stay in the garden, and bring some of our own drinks, as long as we also buy a few drinks from their bar. Anyone know otherwise? I decided not to ask ;)

Edited by bluejay