Why become a member? ×

Limited Edition, My Ar$e

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Limited-Edition-Musicman-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-2005_W0QQitemZ330228043923QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Limited-Edition-Musi...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Another piece of seller's BS, allied to an optimistic opening bid

"I have the right to end this auction as also listed elsewhere" - no you don't, read eBay's rules.

[quote name='Macko1968' post='176426' date='Apr 14 2008, 04:58 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Limited-Edition-Musicman-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-2005_W0QQitemZ330228043923QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Limited-Edition-Musi...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

"I have the right to end this auction as also listed elsewhere" - no you don't, read eBay's rules.[/quote]

Unfortunately he does have the right to end the auction at any time up until the last 12 hours regardless of whether it has bids on or not :)

[quote name='Macko1968' post='176467' date='Apr 14 2008, 05:35 PM']Not to sell it outside of eBay.

[url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html"]http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html[/url][/quote]

...if the offer to buy it came via eBay.

You can sell it locally away from eBay if you like.. there's nowt stopping you.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='176483' date='Apr 14 2008, 05:52 PM']...if the offer to buy it came via eBay.

You can sell it locally away from eBay if you like.. there's nowt stopping you.[/quote]

Like what he said :huh:

You can advertise and sell it where you like and eBay HATE IT! Essentially they can do very little about it and TBH if you were the one selling you'd want to maximise what you got for your item... it's just annoying when you're the one watching (not this particular item) and someone gazumps you with an 'unofficial' offer by the back door!

It cuts both ways :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='176490' date='Apr 14 2008, 05:58 PM']Like what he said :huh:

You can advertise and sell it where you like and eBay HATE IT! Essentially they can do very little about it and TBH if you were the one selling you'd want to maximise what you got for your item... it's just annoying when you're the one watching (not this particular item) and someone gazumps you with an 'unofficial' offer by the back door!

It cuts both ways :)[/quote]

I've definitely seen an extract from eBays T&Cs that says by joining you agree not to advertise an item on eBay that is advertised elsewhere, the subject came up on the Dudepit a couple of years back. I'll check with eBay & see what they say, should have an answer by 2015 (the year, not the time - you know what eBay are like).

[quote name='Macko1968' post='176509' date='Apr 14 2008, 06:10 PM']I've definitely seen an extract from eBays T&Cs that says by joining you agree not to advertise an item on eBay that is advertised elsewhere, the subject came up on the Dudepit a couple of years back. I'll check with eBay & see what they say, should have an answer by 2015 (the year, not the time - you know what eBay are like).[/quote]

Even if you find something, the caveat that an item is advertised elsewhere is something that has always gone unchallenged on eBay added to which even if you don't state it explicitly on eBay you can still advertise your item where you like and you can end your listing without warning at anytime up to the 12hr deadline. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='176511' date='Apr 14 2008, 06:15 PM']Even if you find something, the caveat that an item is advertised elsewhere is something that has always gone unchallenged on eBay added to which even if you don't state it explicitly on eBay you can still advertise your item where you like and you can end your listing without warning at anytime up to the 12hr deadline. :)[/quote]

But that doesn't give anyone "the right", they can do it because a rule is not being enforced but that is not someone's "right". My objection was to his use of the term "right", as if it is enshrined in eBay's rules that he can do this.

[quote name='Macko1968' post='176536' date='Apr 14 2008, 06:32 PM']But that doesn't give anyone "the right", they can do it because a rule is not being enforced but that is not someone's "right". My objection was to his use of the term "right", as if it is enshrined in eBay's rules that he can do this.[/quote]

I've had a search through eBay's T&C's and I can't see anything that says that you can't advertise it elsewhere :)

I'm not trying to be obstructive about what this guy can and can't do (I don't give a flying one) but I have to agree that as far as I would be concerned he does have "the right". I've used pretty much the same wording in many of my eBay sales and what I would be trying to put across is that it's no good anyone getting uppity if I sell this elsewhere because it's my item and I'll do what I like with it... right or wrong I'd not want someone telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

You should consider walking a mile in this guy's shoes before taking any umbrage at his wording.

Either way I think the consensus is that he's 'unlikely' to get a sale at that price but stranger things happen!

I wonder how many people who claim the right to end auctions early feel about buyers who cancel bids, I bet matey boy would be seriously pissed off if someone withdrew the only bid with 13 hours left saying they'd bought a similar item advertised elsewhere instead. These things cut both ways.

Mind, if anyone bids at that price I'll show my arse in Harrods window.

[quote name='Macko1968' post='176592' date='Apr 14 2008, 07:51 PM']I wonder how many people who claim the right to end auctions early feel about buyers who cancel bids, I bet matey boy would be seriously pissed off if someone withdrew the only bid with 13 hours left saying they'd bought a similar item advertised elsewhere instead. These things cut both ways.

Mind, if anyone bids at that price I'll show my arse in Harrods window.[/quote]

Of course you are correct, it does cut both ways and I've had people do it to me before... hence I am philosophical about eBay sales and can see both sides :huh:

Might be worth putting a bid on just to see the headlines in the paper... <insert appropriate newspaper headline about bassist's ars* here> :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='176623' date='Apr 14 2008, 08:25 PM']Of course you are correct, it does cut both ways and I've had people do it to me before... hence I am philosophical about eBay sales and can see both sides :huh:

Might be worth putting a bid on just to see the headlines in the paper... <insert appropriate newspaper headline about bassist's ars* here> :)[/quote]

Can I just check, how wide is Harrods window? May require two sittings for me.

Just got an email from eBay re. ending listings early.

[i]"As such, it is a violation if a seller indicates:

- that they have the right to cancel their listing at any time, for any
reason.
- that their listed item is also for sale simultaneously off eBay (e.g.
local market).
- that the item was in stock at the time of listing but that it may be
out of stock at the time of purchase.
- that the item listed may not necessarily be the one that the winning
bidder receives upon auction completion.

To see eBay's user agreement as implicated within Inappropriate Seller
Terms - "Other Binding Bids" policy, copy this link into a new browser
window:"[/i]

There's ebay powersellers that don't abide buy those terms and ebay do nothing because they still get a cut and the system is far to big to police!

Who cares! Some you win and some you loose and if the item that you're bidding on you so desperately want then either pay up or get it somewhere else. If the auction is pulled because the item is 'advertised elsewhere' then you have the same opportunity to contact the seller, find out where it's advertised and how much is it advertised for then you can do the deal. Ebay gets their listing fee, the seller gets the amount he's looking for and you get the item you want. You snooze you loose so don't whine on about it. You got beat!

If you know what to expect with ebay then it's fair game from both sides.

If you don't know what to expect then eventually you'll learn and then maybe you'll accept the way it works.

You get the same information at the same time as everyone else so it's up to you to take action. It seems you're quite happy sitting there expecting the deal to come to you for the price you want to pay with little or no effort but then moan and complain when someone else moves in and takes home the result. To tell you the truth, I'm happy there's people like that....

.. bit confused here ?... who "got beat!": the auction appears to have 3+ days to run with 0-bids as yet...

Anyway: with regard to the ebay/listed elsewhere thing, I had an auction removed for stating that so either ebay spotted the wording or were alerted to it by another ebayer who didn't like it (which is more likely, and maybe the only way they might ever see it).
So they do use it as a 'legitimate' reason for ending/closing a listing.
In light of that, I just don't use it anymore - but obviously, as John says, one is able to remove any auction/listing with 12+ hours to run, so it might occasionally work against ebayers if an instrument (or anything ebayed) in which they're interested is listed or advertised elsewhere but the seller is unable to state so; particularly if there's an attractive BIN and/or start price but they're playing the common wait-and-see or approach or just giving it some thought and consideration.

[quote name='angelboy' post='178728' date='Apr 17 2008, 12:15 PM']There's ebay powersellers that don't abide buy those terms and ebay do nothing because they still get a cut and the system is far to big to police!

Who cares! Some you win and some you loose and if the item that you're bidding on you so desperately want then either pay up or get it somewhere else. If the auction is pulled because the item is 'advertised elsewhere' then you have the same opportunity to contact the seller, find out where it's advertised and how much is it advertised for then you can do the deal. Ebay gets their listing fee, the seller gets the amount he's looking for and you get the item you want. You snooze you loose so don't whine on about it. You got beat!

If you know what to expect with ebay then it's fair game from both sides.

If you don't know what to expect then eventually you'll learn and then maybe you'll accept the way it works.

You get the same information at the same time as everyone else so it's up to you to take action. It seems you're quite happy sitting there expecting the deal to come to you for the price you want to pay with little or no effort but then moan and complain when someone else moves in and takes home the result. To tell you the truth, I'm happy there's people like that....[/quote]

Who's moaning or complaining? I pointed out that the guy is misrepresenting his item & his rights - which he is, end of story.

Now, can you explain to everyone how I got "beat" on a bass I don't intending bidding on & that still has 3 days to go? And thanks for the tips on how eBay works, gosh I've only bought & sold over 300 basses on there, I still have so much to learn. The rules are there so people know what to expect, what other reason do you think they have them for?

Perhaps you need to read the whole thread before making yourself look foolish again.

Edited by Macko1968

[quote name='budget bassist' post='179295' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:33 PM']It's been removed now anyway, my guess is someone reported it and ebay didn't like the "i have to right to blah blah blah i'm a twat" bit. To be fair neither do i. They blatantly haven't read ebay's rules, they really don't have right to end early at all.[/quote]

It's still their item surely, if they decide to sell to it outside of ebay then that's their choice.

I've sold loads of items outside of ebay, they've been advertised here as well and sold through here, at the end of the day any advertised item is still mine until the buyer pays for it.