Why become a member? ×

Refinishing my Washburn Status

Rowley Birkin QC

Had this since early last year and was never happy with the finish. It had been re-fretted and I was concerned about what appeared to be glue along the side of the fretboard near the neck. Plus, I think it had had some paintwork before which wasn't of a high standard (not mentioned by the guy selling it on Ebay). So, I decided to refinish it.

Stripped all the hardware and electronics out last week and was left with this, which, was originall going to be replaced with a white finish.

After lots of sanding (mostly by hand) and sore fingers I was left with some rather nice wood

So, I've commenced waxing it for the moment and was looking for some suggestions as to which wax will give me a high gloss finish if anyone has any experience of this. Obviously more polishing will be required, but I don't have a problem with putting in the elbow grease.

As far as the brass fittings go, which aren't really in bad condition, I have a couple of lines of thought.

1. Simply get them polished and lacquer them
2. Get them satin chromed

Any comments on what might suit?

Hoping to get it finished over the next couple of weeks, then probably putting it up for sale to fund another bass.

Looks great !

Brass fittings and a nice clear satin finish should bring the best methinks.

You must have been seriously chuffed when all your efforts paid off sanding wise - just hope you've got enough fingers left to play her........ B)

Wow, what a result! Keep it natural, definitely ;)

I did a re-fin on my Yamaha BB1100s a few weeks back, stripping it back to natural; it's so rewarding to get to this stage (and such a relief lol!)

Enjoy the final finishing mate ;)

Edited by Bobby K

Taking the brass hardware parts to a local polisher tomorrow to get his opinion. If they polishe up OK I'll clearcoat them then get some replacement knobs (oo err missus) for the pots in brass too.

Still trying to decide on the type of finish for the wood though, satin sheen or high gloss? <_<

Edited by Rowley Birkin QC

Haven't posted any further updates yet as "work" is getting in the way at the moment.

However, got the hardware back from the polishers this week......nice finish! Will post some pics at the weekend then get them lacquered up.

The body now has 2/3 coats of acrylic lacquer applied which will be getting flatted back this weekend and more added. Again when I've got an acceptable finish on it I'll post some pics before the rebuild.

Getting closer now!

Mmmm, not saying this IS the same bass, but I once repaired on in this colour for a friend, the fingerboard had lifted from the neck, and his dad (a cabinet maker) had simply shoved some glue in the gap, leaving the fretboard humped over the glue.

I steamed the fretboard off, removed all the old glue and clamped it back down to where it should have been, turned out great, really low action, dead straight neck

I didn't refret it though

Anyway, migh not be the same bass.

As for the wood, that should be American Walnut on the front of the bass

I've had at least 8 of these, love 'em :)

'RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE'
Nice job so far. I own a wine colour( same as the original olour here) Nearly got the green , but as there was a tune strike and many shops in soho were closed , i settled for the wime colour.

Want a yellow one. Have only seen one.

MB1. B)
A "Wime one?"...
A Yellow one :o GAS... :o this i did not know!...you swime sir! ;)

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1334278277' post='1613855']
Mmmm, not saying this IS the same bass, but I once repaired on in this colour for a friend, the fingerboard had lifted from the neck, and his dad (a cabinet maker) had simply shoved some glue in the gap, leaving the fretboard humped over the glue.
[/quote]

This particular one didn't have a "hump" on the fretboard but the "glue" was at the rear of the neck by the body, but was "bridging" the joint between the neck and the fretboard. Not sure why this was done, but it all sanded off with no ill effect or signs that it was ever there and the joint between the two is perfect.????