Why become a member? ×

Refinishing my Washburn Status

Rowley Birkin QC

[quote name='daveybass' timestamp='1334269260' post='1613737']
can't wait to see the new pics,good luck
[/quote]

Pics to follow this evening (over a few beers). Got a rehearsal this morning with 3 other people who have not played together before, all been learning the songs at home and will be putting them together for the first time. Hope it works out as I'm missing playing live since leaving my previous ban in January.

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1334386861' post='1615418']

Pics to follow this evening (over a few beers). Got a rehearsal this morning with 3 other people who have not played together before, all been learning the songs at home and will be putting them together for the first time. Hope it works out as I'm missing playing live since leaving my previous ban in January.
[/quote]I was in a band that started the same way a few years ago. Good luck

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1334386439' post='1615412']
This particular one didn't have a "hump" on the fretboard but the "glue" was at the rear of the neck by the body, but was "bridging" the joint between the neck and the fretboard. Not sure why this was done, but it all sanded off with no ill effect or signs that it was ever there and the joint between the two is perfect.????
[/quote]

Can't be the same one then, and the "hump" wasn't there after I repaired the bass :)

Got into the beers and forgot the pics last night! :blink:

Polished hardware now ready for a wipe with white spirit and a few coats of clear lacquer, then onto flatting the lacquer on the body and building up the depth of shine on that. Pics of the body to follow when an acceptable finish is achieved.

Hoping the get the whole project completed by the end of the month, then deciding whether to sell it or not?

[attachment=105182:PICT1599.JPG]

Edited by Rowley Birkin QC

I've applied a couple of coats of clear lacquer to the body to seal the wood, and, unfortunately, there are hints of the original red stain used to colour the wood deep within parts of the grain which the lacquering has highlighted. Some of which is in "endgrain" in the inner radii of the horns near the neck. I'm now, in order to achieve a the quality finish that I was aiming for, contemplating reverting back to my original plan of refinishing it in white. As much as I would HATE to bury the beautiful grain on the front I'd be severely disappointed if the final job was marred by the red tinge within the lighter woods which I seem to be unable to get rid of. :angry2: