Why become a member? ×

TC Head and 3 cabs help

Low End Bee

I have a TC 450 classic head and 2 TC cabs. An RS210 and an RS112.
In all there bumph TC say the head can be used with three RS TC cabs.
Is there any reason I can't run a non TC branded 8ohm cab as a 3rd cab if I wanted to? Why would it have to be a TC RS cab? Is there a special flux capacitor doobri circuit in them?

I'm not a technical bod who knows electrickery but I know there are a few on here ;)

There's two schools of thought on this. One is that obviously you can use any three 8 ohm cabs, and TC just say to use their own so that you'll buy more of their cabs. The other opinion is that there is something special about the way their cabs interact, blah blah blah, different frequency and impedance curves, blah blah blah, and it just won't be safe with any old cabs.

Since it's not my head that'd be at risk, I'd say you should definitely go and try using any old three cabs. And then report back to us. :)

Edited by mart

There's probably nothing special about how a TC cab reacts, except that they KNOW EXACTLY how their own cabs react and can guarantee that they will not interact to produce a total impedance that's below what the amp is designed to accept. Can't say the same for a random combination of cabs...

Having said that it'd probably be ok to mix and match

Edited by Bigwan

The tc head technically goes down to 2.66ohm IIRC. So any 3 x 8 Ohms should be fine as long as they ARE 8 Ohms!

However I prefer for all my cabs to be matching where possible!

Beat to it!

Edited by charic

In terms of adding the third cab, I know it's more grief (to sell and then buy again) but can you not get rid of the RS112 and replace it with the RS212? Same as adding an extra cab but one less carry.

I've got a RS210 and a RS212 and it's a righteous noise at 4ohms into a Classic 450. For me, the third cab is that extra push over the cliff ;)

T

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1333455615' post='1601882']
This was why we got rid of our drummer ;)
[/quote]

I don't play drums any more, not allowed anything sharp.

And, I agree with tonyf, RS210 and RS112.

RK

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1333458755' post='1601968']
In terms of adding the third cab, I know it's more grief (to sell and then buy again) but can you not get rid of the RS112 and replace it with the RS212? Same as adding an extra cab but one less carry.

I've got a RS210 and a RS212 and it's a righteous noise at 4ohms into a Classic 450. For me, the third cab is that extra push over the cliff ;)

T
[/quote]

i want to leave one cab at the rehearsal room and have 2 ready for gigs at home. The idea of using all 3 is just for vanity and will look nice on a video really. With the RS210 and RS112 I never get above 3 on stage without the soundman asking me to tuirn down. If I'm getting an extra cab I thought it might as well be something I could use as a mini tower block if I felt like it.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1333452418' post='1601794']
There's probably nothing special about how a TC cab reacts, except that they KNOW EXACTLY how their own cabs react and can guarantee that they will not interact to produce a total impedance that's below what the amp is designed to accept. Can't say the same for a random combination of cabs...

Having said that it'd probably be ok to mix and match
[/quote]
+1

Some cabs aren't exactly the impedance they are spec'd. Think some EA cabs had a lower than advertised impedance.

May as well match your TC cabs.