Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sei everythingless

tauzero

I have been on the quest for the ultimate 5-string fretless for ages. The Mazeti I got from Wooks is good, but I always knew there would be better.

Anybody who's been monitoring Bass Direct's 5-strings of late would have seen a Sei headless fretless appear a few days back. I went down to Bass Direct to have a look. Action was high enough to need a ladder, so Mark did some judicious tweaking and got the relief and bridge height about right. A complete lack of output which initially seemed to be due to a dodgy battery connector turned out to be a jack socket which had been unused for years (apparently the previous owner hadn't used it for ages, which is a shame for an instrument like this). It proved very comfortable to play, with a shallow asymmetrical neck and 16.5mm (I think) string spacing. The sound is rich and complex - not sure what the pickups are but the preamp is Bartolini. So I bought it, and Mark kindly threw in a Gramma pad.

Both the garden guardians approve of it too.

welcome to the world of sei, I haven't played anything else since I bought "no. 11" , best investment I have ever made, mike b.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-3981-0-49272900-1328975305.jpg"]post-3981-0-49272900-1328975305.jpg[/url]

Edited by wrinkleygit

[quote name='wrinkleygit' timestamp='1333301024' post='1599745']
welcome to the world of sei, I haven't played anything else since I bought "no. 11" , best investment I have ever made, mike b.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-3981-0-49272900-1328975305.jpg"]post-3981-0-49272900-1328975305.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

It s a nice bass you have too there wrinkleygit

Beautiful instrument, the one I tried in the gallery just didn't do anything for me though. Far too polite sounding for my tastes, however they are usually custom instruments so I guess you can cater the sound to your own tastes.

The build quality was great :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1333369199' post='1600603']
Beautiful instrument, the one I tried in the gallery just didn't do anything for me though. Far too polite sounding for my tastes, however they are usually custom instruments so I guess you can cater the sound to your own tastes.

The build quality was great :)
[/quote]

I guess a lot depends on the pickups and preamp that are installed. I've got Kent Armstrong pickups and (at the moment) a John East u retro preamp in my Sei jazz, it really is a tone monster !