Why become a member? ×

Smaller 'Old-School' Rig

Jack

Hey folks,

I'm currently running and loving a GK rig consisting of a 1001RB-II head, neo 1x12 and a neo 2x12. But I can't help thinking I want something a bit more traditional sounding, maybe with a hint of overdrive present in the sound naturally. I'm actually leaning towards a pre/power setup (which is something I've been wanting to try for a while) or I'm really interested in the new Ashdown heads. Does anyone have any ideas what would be nice here? I'm all for smaller heads but when compared to a cab even big heads still seem small to me so I'm not really too fussed here.

The biggie, cabs. I just don't know what to do at all here. All of the small neo cabs seem geared towards a really deep, full modern tone and that's totally great but just not what I'm shooting for. I know that sometimes there's 'no replacement for displacement' but I really can't find anything smaller than a Bergie NV610 that fits what I'm looking for tonally and that seems totally absurd. With the amount of love that SVTs still get even though they've been obsolete for 20 years it boggles my mind that no one makes a cabinet with a similar tone profile but in a smaller package. I cant even find a pair of small, sealed, 2x10s that sound anywhere close. Does anyone have any advice here either? Alex, I want a 69er cut into two pieces!

They could sound like liquid Jesus and TC would still be off the list because of their marketing. :)

Oooooooh, an OTB, now there's a trick I've missed. Also, how are we getting on with the Mesa Walkabout stuff now that it's a few years old?

From my experience with small amp heads:

Orange Terror - very old school sounding, though fairly ltd eq/versatility.
TC Electronic Classic 450 - agree with LukeFRC - can do a very good Ampeg impression, but can also do a lot more as well.
Ampeg PF500 - great amp.

Cab-wise:

If looking to maximise the sound of an amp, go Barefaced. Great cabs - put out what you put in, no colouring of their own. I had a Compact/Midget setup, and with my Ampeg PF500 was great for old-school sounds. There is (or maybe was) a Midget up for grabs on here at the moment for £395. Used to be mine, great little cab.

Edit - Dannybouy is right, I`d forgotten about the 210 AV cabs. Two of them would be a nice lightweight option - they sound great.

Edited by Lozz196

I tried the little ampeg setup at RED Dog Music in Edinburgh. Fair to say I was very impressed with the sound, overall volume and light wieght. I wouldn't want to gig with it though.

2 of the cabs may be the ticket. Or there is the CL version now aswell, with 100w less power handling.. 2 stacked vertical will be nice setup.

The Orange with it's own SP cabs may the ticket as although they are neo and the actual specs are crap it sound may be more what you after, not too deep and a wierd midrange.

I have an ampeg 806he. It is a proper ampeg cab, heavier than my sofa, and an optional tweeter, although the cab's untweetered sound is still fairly high. Can be yours for £245

It's medium monster cab.

I'll certainly get to a local shop and aim to try the Ampeg stuff. Thanks for the offer Prime, but I'm certainly hoping for 2 smaller cabs rather than one big one. If I have to go the big cab route it's either a NV610 or Barefaced 69er.

Thumperbob, I had certainly thought about going with an external pre to use with my current rig, I quite like the ability to be able to 'de-vintage' at the flick of a switch and I do still like the sound and form factor of my GK rig. I had thought about the Darkglass B7K to replace my MXR M80 as lots and lots of my gigs are amp shares where I plug into somebody else's rig and because I practice with the preamp into a mixer and then headphones. Oooooh so many choices. Speaking of Line 6, their heads never a get a mention on here, rubbish or worth considering?

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1332924041' post='1594805']
However, why dont you get a lightweight rig such as an LM3 and Schroeder / Barefaced / ( lots of others ) and use a basspod or sansamp for that old school tube sound- best of both worlds.
[/quote]+1 Mark Bass and Schroeder are a great coupling, shove a growl box in front of it and Robert is your mum's brother.

Another vote for Markbass. The VLE and VPF filters are particularly versatile, and in conjunction with a BDI-21 set to 'fat tube' through a 1X12, produces some fine old-school warmth. The BDI can be tweaked for other sounds, too... SVT, Bassman, etc.

I'd vouch for an Ampeg PF-500. They simply sound incredible. Plenty of beefy bass and the gain control can add a nice touch of valvey grit which I find very pleasant indeed. If I need a little more, I just play harder or add some overdrive using my multi-fx.
It's also very useful to use in the studio. DI with post or pre EQ, effects loop and a port for external sources (ipod or laptop for samples or for practising) as well as a headphone socket.
And all for just over £300 new; SVT tone in a package that fits into a laptop bag!

Get yourself a couple of small cabs and you're proper rockin. I own one SVT-210HE (for 350w) but have borrowed another one (for the full 500w) and it sounds simply immense!

FYI, vertical stacking does next to nothing for FOH sound. You'll hear yourself better for sure because the speakers will be nearer ear height, but it'll sound exactly the same to the audience. In my opinion obviously!

Aguilar DB range and Purple Chilli cabs also have lovely vintage styling and soundz.

Truckstop

I've got both a Berg' NV 412 and a Barefaced 'Big-Baby'.

With a Littlemark and a Sansamp BD Deluxe, I can get pretty much any sound I wish for from the Barefaced cab.

I only ever play vintage/old school, and it's got that down to a treat. With the Littlemark, I plug the BDD in the front, all recommended settings, EQ to taste and job done.

So the barefaced stuff handles the older school sound alright then? I just feel that some cabs struggle to sound, I dunno, less capable? I quite enjoy the strained sound. Not speaker breakup but sort of the feeling that they're being pushed to their limits, maybe I'm making it up I dunno. I'd love to have a Midget/Compact setup.