Why become a member? ×

Sometimes it's just fate...

Mornats

Just been for a beer after work with my bro and his missus in a pub 5 mins walk from my house. Sat in the beer garden and heard a band practising in the room at the back but I could only hear drums and a guitar. I'd been saying to my bro that I should pop in a see if they need a bassist and eventually I did just that. Turns out that they'd been saying earlier that they needed a bass player!

So, I may end up doing some practice sessions at least. It'll be the first time playing in a band in nearly 18 years for me so I hope it works out .:) At the very least we'll have a couple of practise sessions (which would be nice) even if it doesn't work out. Funny how things work out eh?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1332790200' post='1593205']
...Funny how things work out eh?
[/quote]

Yes! I keep telling the current mrs discreet that 90% of all the work I've ever had has been through meeting someone in the pub on the off-chance... but she doesn't believe me. ;)

Nice one, and good luck! :D

Nice one - hope it takes off.
Having traded in my Stingray for a P, I popped into a cafe/bar on the way home for a coffee. There were some guys setting up to play, they noticed my instrument case, we started chatting and I ended up playing with them in an extremely enjoyable jazz/funk band for a few years.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332790657' post='1593219']
Yes! I keep telling the current mrs discreet that 90% of all the work I've ever had has been through meeting someone in the pub on the off-chance... but she doesn't believe me. ;)

Nice one, and good luck! :D
[/quote]

a bar man? and the other 10% when you invited your friends down?

Brilliant, well done. Just shows you have sieze the moment, doesn't it?
One of the actors in the play I'm doing at the moment (Taste of Honey) was cast by a similar turn of fate.
We had held the auditions and cast all but one of the parts - that of Geoff the gay art student. No-one turned up to read for that - we asked around various young actors we knew but none of them were available.
Meanwhile some of our publicity leaflets had been put round in local pubs, and one was noticed by a young man who had studied Taste of Honey for GCSE and always longed to play the part of Geoff. Although the audition dates had passed he thought he would ring the director on the off chance to see if he had cast that part.
The director snapped him up, and he is really good. And we never would have met him if he hadn't had the nerve to phone up, even though he had missed the audition dates. :)