Why become a member? ×

MIM P Bass - keep or get rid?

pburrows

Hi all. Would anyone like to share thoughts on whether you think it is worth keeping my P Bass that I've had for a couple of years? It plays quite well, but just doesn't seem to sound 'right'.

I've had it into my local guitar shop a few months ago and had pups upgraded, added a Bad Ass bridge, but it just doesn't sound like I would expect it to.

Friend of mine recommended a superb guitar technician to take it to, but this is likely to cost another £150 or so.

Should I sell it and put towards another bass (although I don't really have enough money) or get it looked at and re-set up for improvement?

ta

Depends on the tone your after of course, but I`m in agreement with Ou7shined. Never liked the Badass on my Precisions, they seem to "de-Fender" the sound. As a matter of interest, do you have a particular artists sound in mind?

A setup will help it play better, but will emphasise the natural charactersistics of the bass - thick low-mids, and solid chunky bottom end, so if you`re looking for a more articulate sound, probably a new bass. But, if you do sell the bass, sell the Badass seperately - you`ll get more that way.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332764142' post='1592662']
Sell the Badass (which contrary to popular bass folklore, adds next to nothing to the tone) and upgrade your pups with the proceeds.
[/quote]

Agree totally. Never liked the look of that large chunk of metal anyway.

Mmmm... I bought the bad ass as everyone seemed to be raving about them. I was trying to get a bit more sustain and depth to the sound. Do you think the standard bridge is OK?

I guess the ultimate question is how good can a MIM be? Better/similar/worse than Squires etc?

[quote name='Adee' timestamp='1332764506' post='1592676']
What pick-up do you have in there at the moment ?

Also what Amp / Cab are you using ?
[/quote]

Using Ashdown Mag 300 4x10 + Ashdown 1 x 15 ABM cab. Also line out to PA.

I played Friday night, and the sound just didn't do it for me

Hmmm...

MIMs can be as good a Fender as you can get. I've owned a few MIM Ps and they've all been great.

What year / model is it?

Also - have you tried other Precisions? MIA. MIJ, Squier er al?

Edit : have you tried it though other amps?

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='pburrows' timestamp='1332764588' post='1592678']
I guess the ultimate question is how good can a MIM be? Better/similar/worse than Squires etc?
[/quote]

This has been a frequent topic of discussion on BC.

The overwhelming opinion seems to be that some MIMs can be as good as a MIA and far better than a Squier, but some can be real awful.
This is generally considered to be due to wildly different levels of quality control within Fender.

From my own experience, I have tried three MIM JBs and, if I were wearing a blindfold, I would swear that they were three totally different instruments - one felt rough, one sounded horrid and the third one sounded and felt like the MIA I was using to compare them against.

[quote name='pburrows' timestamp='1332764588' post='1592678']
Mmmm... I bought the bad ass as everyone seemed to be raving about them. I was trying to get a bit more sustain and depth to the sound. Do you think the standard bridge is OK?

[/quote]
People tend to fit them as a talking point really and to make a bass more desirable... perhaps to sell.

The standard bridge is ok but it can be a bit constraining for adjustment if it wasn't put on squarely at the factory... at times like these I'd advise dropping in a BA bridge as it can open up simple possibilities for a custom fit*. If you think you can hear a difference with a bridge that has more mass then by all means fit one... there are plenty of other and far cheaper options.

I'm no Fender expert but afaik MIM are basically contemporary MIA but assembled in a different factory with a cheaper workforce, often with the same woods and parts I do believe that MIA pickups are higher spec'd though. (all this needs citation)

*no real benefit using one that's been pre-slotted for another guitar

[quote name='pburrows' timestamp='1332766605' post='1592726']
Thanks all. I'll keep it and just get it improved. It does *feel* like a good bass, maybe it's just me :)

anyone want to buy a Bad Ass going cheap?
[/quote]

Stick it up for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/21-for-sale-other-musically-related-stuff/"]here[/url]. There's always someone wanting to buy one (hence 2nd hand prices being double what they were a year or two ago) and it'll probably go in minutes.

I spotted a key word that may have an unpleasant affect on your tone. "Ashdown".

Since I moved from Ashdown to Ampeg all my basses sound great, and all have their own character shining through.

Edit - I've just noticed that you're using a 1x15 Ashdown extention cab. These are great for muddying up the tone. And very little else.

Edited by sixdegrees

I'd say sell it and buy one you do like the sound of. You could easily shell out for more mods and still not like the way it sounds, where if you can try a new one out you'll know what you're getting before you spend anything. Lots of debates on here about what really makes a difference to the sound, strings, pick-ups, bridges, tone woods, paint finishes and so on. I'd say if you don't like it, you don't like it, so change it.

I'll echo the 'you're using an Ashdown' comment.

They have their 'own sound' and personally I've yet to use an Ashdown (never tried a LB though) that I've liked at all. Maybe try some other amps before considering moving your bass on? You've said you like playing it and it's already been set-up so maybe that could be the answer?

If you're anywhere near St. Albans, you're more than welcome to come by and try my Ampeg shizzle!

Truckstop

It seems your not satisfied and however you mod this bass, won't ever be :(

Personally, depending on what your after for your next bass. Budget it and see how much you can get for your bass and then you should get an answer.
I know before, I've tried to do so and ended up selling them next to nothing and ending up further from getting that bass I wanted and regret selling altogether.

All upto you bud but I wish you well however this turns out ^_^

BSB

A good way to look at this may be, as others have pointed out, is it the amp, and not the bass?

See if you can borrow a different type of bass from somewhere, and put it through your amp. If not possible, visit a music shop that has Ashdowns, and try various basses through one. Additionally, try using a Precision through other makes of amps.

From there, you may find the ideal pairing, and establish it`s just that a Precision isn`t for you, or, find that you don`t really like the Ashdown signature sound, but that you like Precisions after all.

Personally I have to gripe with Ashdown, but it would certainly be a good idea to try your bass through a different set-up before selling it on. Where are you located? I'm fairly sure you will be close to at least one Basschatter who would be happy to let you try their amplification. If you are anywhere near Newcastle you can try mine! :D

I would also try some different pickups. You don't say what you have, only that they are "upgraded". The pickups are a huge part of the sound, (so are the strings BTW!!) so try another one and it might give you the tone you crave (whatever that is, as you also don't say!). Second-hand pickups go for great prices on here and if they are not to your taste you can usually sell them on for pretty much what you paid for them. Be careful wiring them in yourself though - it's not always as easy as some would believe! ;)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332764142' post='1592662']
Sell the Badass (which contrary to popular bass folklore, adds next to nothing to the tone) and upgrade your pups with the proceeds.
[/quote]

Sounds like good advice to me!! :D

[quote name='pburrows' timestamp='1332763991' post='1592660']
I've had it into my local guitar shop a few months ago and had pups upgraded, added a Bad Ass bridge, but it just doesn't sound like I would expect it to.
[/quote]

Quick question, lah - and I know you've mentioned more sustain already - but what were you hoping to have it sound like? Is there a particular player you had in mind, thinking [i]I'll nail that sound[/i] when you got the bass?

Could even be that a Precision isn't what you're after... on a sliding scale from making some minor EQ changes; to upgrading the bass; to selling it and moving on.

Might be useful for people to know what you're hoping to do, so they can advise you accordingly.

Where are you? Perhaps another set of ears are what's needed to give you an opinion?

Also - I'd seriously considering putting something in the chain to remove the ULTRA lows - Ashdowns can sound good, but too much happening below 100hz and they don't sound their best.

Cheers,
James

Are you sure it's a Mex bass? I see you've advertised a BA III and these are normally on MIA basses?

P.S. it's a shame there's not much love for Ashdown gear here on Basschat as they really are good kit.. just look at the high profile pro's who use them.

Edited by Ou7shined

Hi again, thanks for all the info. Great to be part of such an active forum.

I'm near Bromsgrove, just south of Birmingham.

It's definitely a Mex. I don't know what it is about the Ashdown, but so many people seem to be against them. It's really difficult isn't it trying to aspire to get a good thumping/lovely bass tone, but not having the money to get the best kit, that would ultimately give you that.

So you just have to use what you have/can afford.

The band that played before us - whist being a bunch of youngsters - had amazing kit. The bassist had a lovely 600 watt TE stack, with a few pedals and it sounded awesome.

Don't get me wrong I play fairly well for the type of music we play (classic Rock, not too hard), but just can't help feeling my kit isn't doing me justice. However I'm sure in the hands of an expert it would sound better.

I want to get that sound of really tight, driving bass lines. Surely a P Bass can achieve that? Pedals maybe? The pups I added were Wilkinson.

When your BA sells (you may not get as much for a III as you would a II) and ditch that Wilkinson pup, get a Seymour Duncan SPB-1, it'll bring out that traditional P bass sound for you. If you feel a bit flush and fancy something extra special go for a Lindy Fralin or a DiMarzio (my favourite just now).

BC is a fickle mistress. Go back a few years and Ashdown was praised all the time, then it just fell out of love with them and now you can't read about Ashy gear without the "woolly" word being uttered. I used to have an ABM 4x10 + 4x10 rig and it was fantastic, never once woolly... weighed a fecking ton like. :D

Edited by Ou7shined