Why become a member? ×

Overwater custom P-bass Problem - finish on frets! Is this right? Your advice sought!

James Porch

Hi Basschatters!

I had overwater build a custom P-bass based on a Jap '57 reissue I loved.

They put big modern frets on it and then put heavy melamine finish over the frets.

VIDEO REMOVED BY USER

I don't have frets, just speedbumps of finish!

Is this normal? Anyone else got ANY maple neck bass where the frets are covered in finish?

I am pursuing this with overwater and will report on how they deal with it....

However the website is down today (23rd March) - maybe they are in trouble?

Edited by James Porch

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1332613055' post='1590763']
James - I do hope you get sorted, but I think putting a vid on YouTube without giving Overwater a chance to respond first is very uncool.

Just sayin'.
[/quote]

+1

it's a custom instrument, you're not happy with it, for a good reason- so send it back to them and talk to them about it. Have you done that... if so carry on down that route.
Why on earth do you need to go on youtube and basschat talking about it?
It's fairly standard i think on maple necks that you laquar over the frets and then take it off. They've cocked up one stage.

I was interested in overwater's pickups and emailed them about it. Within 2 days I had had a email conversation with one of the guys there followed up by another email from Chris May. Pretty impressive really, I would love to have enough money to buy a bass from them.
So I don't doubt for a moment that they will not want to bend over backwards to help you, and correct any mistakes they may have made. I guess the only way that super helpfulness and the fun of talking to them would be damaged would be if a customer started acting like a dick.... oops too late

Oh yes I have been in touch with Overwater ! I contacted them about the neck as soon as I got the bass... Over a year ago... Then again a few months in...

At the start of the video I remind Overwater that I had thought the string tree had something to do with it.

I only posted the video because Laurence has not answered to my email last week about this.

Plus I spoke on the phone to Chris and they have offered to look at it - But Overwater don't answer my email so up goes the video!

I have given them plenty of chances to help me out - the lack of response has lead to this post.

I will remove the video or replace it when all is well.

But as I see it Overwater have f'ed me in the A so they need to do better or others need to know!

actually mate.

I have a real problem with this....

first the above is the first post you have made on here. What's your motive man? Is it just trolling, or just wanting to vent about something?

second. you're not asking for advice. You make statements and you video is just slagging them off.

third. you don't seem to understand how a maple fretboard neck is made, and the techniques for finishing it. You could come on and ask people, and there are many builders who could tell you - but no instead 'overwater are the only people stupid enough to make a bass like this' (I paraphrase)

fourth. - and this is the main one for me. How old is this bass? It comes across that it's a new bass that you had made and aren't happy with. And in which case take it back..... except it's not is it? Theres a video a year old on your youtube channel with the same bass being played. And fantastically you seem to have no problem with the first fret back then.

so tell us, how old is the bass.
and more importantly have you, or anyone else, had any work done to it since it left the factory?
cos to me it looks like it's had a fret dressing or two... which of course makes the frets lower and closer to the laquare... and would possibly explain why it sounded fine a year ago.

And the answer to your next question is yes, refreting a maple board costs more as the neck has to be relaqured. and that's true of any make. If I ground the frets of my P bass down to speed bumps I hardly think it's the fault of the japanese guys who made it 30 years ago is it?

Yeah I called Chris last week and he said he would take it back - he is at a trade show. So I then emailed Laurence to make the arrangements - NO REPLY!

The point of the post is to get a response from Overwater.

The bass as you can see from my other videos is playable because I can adapt to fretting right on the fret! But whenever I have complained to Overwater they treat me like I am weird for even suggesting something is wrong.

I took the bass to a respected Luthier and he burst out laughing at the finish. After he explained it was the finish ruining my party I feel a bit angry.

I have said I will remove or replace the video when I get a response!

you've had this bass with a problem for a year... it should have been sent back right at the start.

Look at it from their point of view, they probably made a manufacturing mistake. They don't make many so of course they find it odd/strange.

A year later, you ring (and they don't know what's happened to it in the last year or so) and the boss agrees to take it back to have a look at. This is good. And then you emailed.... and didn't get a response (while knowing there is at least one of them at a trade fair) did you try ringing too? I mean they are hardly a company known for bad communication or customer service.
So a week later you stick a video up on line, and join at least one forum moaning about them, about what exactly? That they are a bit disorganised (and maybe in germany) so take a while to get back to your emails?

I understand you have a problem with the bass, and you know what, if it is a manufacturing default they will fix it - I just don't understand the process by which you are moaning about it. ten min on the phone on monday and this could all be sorted by 10 am....

@LukeFRC,

I think you are right, maybe I am a bit too pissed off in the youtube vid. I have removed the video. I did not expect such a quick response from Basschat members but your responses have convinced me that I DO have a fault worth pursuing.

I phoned up Chris pretty pissed off and he was nice about it - its just a surprise that laurence has not replied to my mail.

I emailed Overwater ( to info@ and laurence@) a link to this topic so we shall see if he looks at that email.

If no email on monday I will phone them and say WTF.

I will keep this topic updated as and when

If their bandwidth limit is exceeded .... that shows a pretty poor bit of management from what should be a serious company. Their website should be a crucial element of their business - so such a lack of attention to detail in such an important area may point to poor management in other areas. It would worry me. I believe they are in Carlise. Can't you visit them with it?

Well that's a good response. Can I make a wee suggestion. Wait until the problem is sorted out, then come on here and tell us about it and how you found overwater at the end of the process. Things said while annoyed are rarely constructive.
Then when it's sorted be as open and frank as you like about them, at least give them a chance to remedy any mistake the have made.

The good news for you is that you've just discovered a whole forum to play with! enjoy :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1332620787' post='1590892']
Well that's a good response. Can I make a wee suggestion. Wait until the problem is sorted out, then come on here and tell us about it and how you found overwater at the end of the process. Things said while annoyed are rarely constructive.
Then when it's sorted be as open and frank as you like about them, at least give them a chance to remedy any mistake the have made.
[/quote]

Agree - Having met Chris on more than one occasion, he's a guy who takes his craft very seriously, and he's always willing to help with any issues.

Phoning is definitely preferable to email...

Dear James and anyone taking an interest here.

This Laurence from Overwater here, my apologies for not getting back to you on this sooner I have no idea has this has slipped through the net If I'd known I would have called you straight away, it was not my intention to ignore you and not resolve the situation as well sending e-mails I always advice calling me direct so you definitely know that the matter is being dealt with properly. On an average day we receive up to 50 e-mails and some unfortunately get trashed or spammed especially with attachments.

I've talked this over with Martin and we are going to collect your bass at your convenience get it back here and re-fret and re-finish the neck or make you a new neck which ever you prefer.

Feel assured this issued will be dealt with we are constantly striving to keep our customer service world class.

Kind Regards

Laurence