Why become a member? ×

Pickups & bridge for a MIJ 75 RI Jazz

bassintheface

So...........I've got a 75 RI MIJ Jazz that I'd like to upgrade the pickups on.
I'm after that 'classic' Jazz sound (or as close to, without spending £1500 on a 70's one)!

A friend has recommended the Lindy Frailin ones - anyone got any comments on them?
I'd like to upgrade the controls - Vol and tones also so any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, I'd like to upgrade the bridge - I don't want anything 'fancy' like hipshot etc - just a decent, solid, reliable bridge. Any pointers there?

Thanks all!

I have Fralins in a jazz of mine. They sound awesome but I don't think I'd describe them as being a "classic jazz" sound... more like a classic hotrod. Maybe DiMarzio Model J's or EMG JV's would be more classic and in the upper yet not too expensive range. No doubt someone will be along soon to tell you what Wizards to get (it's the BC way :D).

What's up with your bridge that you'd like to upgrade it?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332175250' post='1584316']
No doubt someone will be along soon to tell you what Wizards to get (it's the BC way :D).
[/quote]
Not wanting to disappoint... Andy at [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/"]wizard pickups[/url] does a special order '74 Jazz pickup - you have to ask for these they are not on the website. Its growlier and hotter than the '64s and not as loud and 'Hi-Fi' as the '84s he does. All are excellent pickups (especially at the price!) I have 2 sets of '74s in two different basses, one a 70s the other a 70s style and I would recommend them to anybody looking to upgrade from the standard Fender pickups. I also tried the '64s - one of which I have in a fretless and the '84s which were just a bit too hot for my onboard pre-amp.

If you want something more universal, less bespoke, and you're looking for a 70s sound i might suggest the DiMarzio model J as the design (and tone) of these has not really changed since the 70s - but i would personally go with the Wizards

Bridge wise, not sure where you want to go with this but [i]THE[/i] 70s Jazz Bass mod was to stick a Badass bridge on. They are hard to come by these days and they do have a distinctive look to them but the sustain you can yield from one of these is awesome. If you're after a more traditional look I would have a look at Gotoh, they do a couple, one that fits the existing Fender holes (as the Badass does), and one that needs a couple of extra holes drilled (although these would be covered by the original bridge if you ever went back). The Gotoh bridge is high mass like the badass but a more traditional look - again the sustain improvements are noticable.

Fender's own '75 RI pickups from the US version are available as '75 Vintage'. They are excellent pickups IMO, easiest way to get them is via ebay from the States at about £80 a set all in. Nothing like the rubbish so-called 'US' pickups in my MIJ 75 by the way.

Comparing them directly to a pair of Model Js they are significantly brighter and more 'open' sounding, a lot of grind with a good even bottom end that isn't as overwhelming in the lower mids - not quite so 'hot-rod' (I wouldn't describe the Model Js as 'classic jazz' however you wire them, they are a lot beefier without the upper end snap).

Go for Seymour Duncan's antiquity II, they are the best representation of the classic 60's jazz bass sound I've ever heard.

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pickups-for-jaz/4string/1104405_06_149/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pickups-for-jaz/4string/1104405_06_149/[/url]

You can read comments on those on Talkbass [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/jazz-bass-pickups-lindy-fralin-vs-seymour-duncan-antiquity-ii-745926/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/jazz-bass-pickups-lindy-fralin-vs-seymour-duncan-antiquity-ii-745926/[/url]

Bridge-wise, I`d recommend the Gotoh. I`ve had both Gotohs and Badass bridges, and to my ears, both enhance what a Jazz is good at - tighter lows, crisper highs. The main differences being the Gotoh looks more like the original, is widely available, and is much more reasonably priced.

i have the US non export version of the MIJ 75 RI jazz.. the pickups are great... never feel the need to change them... i wanted to change the bridge, but found out that most aftermarket bridge saddles sit too high because of the depth of the bridge base. so a low action can be difficult.. with new DR's this bass kicks ass..

Also worth looking into the Nordstrand 60s and 70s wind NJ4.

The standard 60s wind NJ4 will give you the "classic" tone. The 70s wind have a bit more presence and poke to them. I've got them both: I started with the 60s wind in my 75 RI, and then transplanted them into my 66 RI and got the 70s wind for the 75.

Edited by lapolpora

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1332183896' post='1584522']
i have the US non export version of the MIJ 75 RI jazz.. the pickups are great... never feel the need to change them... i wanted to change the bridge, but found out that most aftermarket bridge saddles sit too high because of the depth of the bridge base. so a low action can be difficult.. with new DR's this bass kicks ass..
[/quote]

Good point, you will most likely need to shim the neck pocket for either a Gotoh or Badass bridge because of the increased height from the higher mass. Its a pretty simple job though and the hassle is far outweighed by the improvement over the stock bridge IMO.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1332179867' post='1584418']
Fender's own '75 RI pickups from the US version are available as '75 Vintage'. They are excellent pickups IMO, easiest way to get them is via ebay from the States at about £80 a set all in. Nothing like the rubbish so-called 'US' pickups in my MIJ 75 by the way.

Comparing them directly to a pair of Model Js they are significantly brighter and more 'open' sounding, a lot of grind with a good even bottom end that isn't as overwhelming in the lower mids - not quite so 'hot-rod' (I wouldn't describe the Model Js as 'classic jazz' however you wire them, they are a lot beefier without the upper end snap).
[/quote]

Ditto, my 2002 FSR US made 75RI has these pups and they are absolutely superb. If these are only £80 they are a rare bargain.

Fender's own '75 RI pickups from the US version are available as '75 Vintage'. They are excellent pickups IMO [/quote]
+1.

Custom Shop '60's overwound are fantastic. Nice and open sounding like the original with a bigger midrange.

I love 'em. Stay prominent in a live band mix even with all the treble rolled orf. What [i]is [/i]that? An excellent pickup.

Use CTS 250k solid shaft pots.... and never mind that .022uF capacitor thang, get yourself a paper in oil .047uF. Actually, do that first, coz once you hear it you might think twice about feeling the need swap pickups out and stuff. There's not a lot wrong with those Jap pickups.

As for changing the bridge, I never saw fit on a quality Jazz Bass, and that Jap hardware is good quality.

A Jazz Bass is as a Jazz Bass does.

Edited by mckendrick

• 2 years later...

[/quote]

Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread, but I'm in the same boat.. Looking to upgrade the pups on my 75RI jap jazz bass.

I can't seem to turn up anything on eBay or Google looking for "75 vintage".. Are you sure that's what they're called?? Sounds like it could be worth trying as looks like it would be less than half the price of the nordstrand nj4se's I have been considering!

Looking for a darker/meatier/punchier sound from bridge pup in particular.
Opinions/ideas welcome!!

Thanks, Andy.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1332183896' post='1584522']
i have the US non export version of the MIJ 75 RI jazz.. the pickups are great... never feel the need to change them...
[/quote]

Same here. This version has Fender USA RI pickups and they sound great. Never felt the need to change them either.

I've tried several mods on mine. I upgraded the tuners to Hipshots and mounted an X-tender, I mounted a Badass II which dramatically changed (not necessarily improved!) the tone, and at some point I also had an Audere preamp in it but I went back to passive because I never played it anymore with the preamp in. I like its passive tone much better, with just a basic passive tone control. I DID have a simple 6 dB bass boost installed with a rotary switch (so it looks like a 4th pot) because all I ever did was boost lows and cut highs when I used the EQ.

I like the Badass mod, but the change in tone is really dramatic. The lows are much tighter now, and the highs are much brighter, so the overall tone is more modern and articulate now. I like it that way, but it's definitely not for everyone. So keep that in mind when you change out the bridge for a more solid one.

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1332174501' post='1584293']

Also, I'd like to upgrade the bridge - I don't want anything 'fancy' like hipshot etc - just a decent, solid, reliable bridge. Any pointers there?

Thanks all!
[/quote]
Tried a shaller 3d on my mex jazz hated it didn't sound like a jazz anymore didn't sound like anything so sold it and bought a Babicz bridge and its perfect sustain forever and more focused but still a jazz odd thing is the guy who bought the Shaller uses them all the time and the basses he's fitted them too including a jazz sound really good and I get the impression on here that the Babicz is a bit of a marmite job so unfortunately its a bit suck it and see I think

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions..

I replaced my bridge 4 or so years ago when the original disintegrated on a gig! Was really happy with the improvement in sustain etc at the time. I think it was a Schaller (I didn't go the badass as the holes didn't line up from memory).

I've looked into your suggestions Bubinga5, thanks for that. Wizard seems to be out of business, but after a bit if reading online the Antiquity II's seem like a good deal, and the general descriptions seem to be something I'm after. Can't seem to find a dealer in UK? And they're over double the price on Thomann compared to buying from US(eBay). Is there a UK retailer that you'd recommend? Otherwise it seems like my original idea on the Nordstrands would actually work out cheaper.

Cheers dudes, any other suggestions/ideas please shoot em through :)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI:

A few years ago I bought (off this forum) a pair of rather expensive Joe Barden pickups for my Jazz. They were to replace the EMG Selects that were on that particular instrument.

Well. If you read up on them at source they are intended to replicate the 'original authentic' sound of an early fender Jazz bass.

I sold the EMGs to Ou7shined up there in Aberdeen who put them on a good bass and proclaimed they were 'pretty decent.'

After a certain period of time it occurred to me that the EMG Selects were also designed to sound like the original 57 Jazz bass, and to be honest with myself, when I listened to recordings of the Jazz with each of the brands in, I was buggered if I could tell the difference!!! Oh sure, when I payed a lot of money for the Bardens, I kidded myself that I could hear a tighter bottom end, more defined mids and extended highs. That's what you'd like if you'd forked out a load of cash.

At the end of the day, I bought the EMGs back from Rich & put them back in - and do you know what? I couldn't really tell the difference. Both were wound to reproduce the same kind of tone & they both did it. Therefore they sounded very, very similar except one was about 4 times the cost of the other.

I sold the Bardens.

G.