Why become a member? ×

Good Times Le Chic, cant quite believe how tricky this is!

skidder652003

He is good, undoubtedly, but it is HIS style. He invented the lines and it isn't straight ahead stuff. I am sure he would struggle to play a couple of my bass songs in a hurry.
Ghost notes and a few other little tricks thrown in.Of course he could crack it, but it's the timing of such things.Also, he wouldn't want to because he has his own approach to bass.
I remember learning Pump it Up. What a great bass line by Bruce Thomas. The chorus run wasn't what my sub-conscious told me it was so I had to wrestle to get it. It just wasn't what I would have played, note for note if I was given a loose idea to work on at the writing stage.

I am sure there are many bassists on this forum whose lines I would struggle to grasp.

It took me a long time to get that riff down. Its best to try it for small time periods but regularly or you will drive yourself and everyone around you mad, playing that same riff over and over. Especially at first, when you cant quite get it.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331943680' post='1581409']
If it helps,the first part of the line in a simple E Dorian scale.
[/quote]

Can't believe I never noticed that before?

Edited by daz

It's a relatively simple line but...... it's all about the feel. We play a few Chic numbers in the band and they are all the same (with exception of 'Everybody Dance' which is an absolute killer) fairly easy tunes on the face of it but Bernie's feel and laid back timing is fantastic. Sure to throw any player out on first learnings

Yeah, in the mix they sound like simple lines, but it's only when you start to really analyse what Bernie did that you realise just how good a player he was. Those lines are easy to play, but tricky to play WELL. stick with it though - dead notes are really useful in all sorts of places, so it's a technique that's worth persevering with. Best of British to you, sir.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1331941558' post='1581390']
Is it me or is this a really tricky little bass line? Big heads and egotists out tyhe back door please!
Im finding the timing a whole new learning curve from the plodding bass lines i usually bang out.
Great line to learn mind!
[/quote]

I just found this, I hope this helps? it's a B) bass line I want to learn as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqyA_uwdsJU

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1331976301' post='1581553']
It's a relatively simple line but...... it's all about the feel. We play a few Chic numbers in the band and they are all the same (with exception of 'Everybody Dance' which is an absolute killer) fairly easy tunes on the face of it but Bernie's feel and laid back timing is fantastic. Sure to throw any player out on first learnings
[/quote]

Definite +1 to this. I didn't realise just how good he was until weI started playing 'Le Freak'. My Forbidden Lover is another great piece of playing. I find Stu's book very helpful.

Any tips on Everybody Dance? I find it really difficult to get that little chromatic run down in 16th notes clean, which should be the easy bit.

This is THE bassline that spawned so many others......as said previously, it's all in the feel. The muting and spacing you leave between the notes is what helps make it. Just keep playing along with the tune with headphones on. When you think you have it, record yourself or use a loop pedal to check.You are looking for your interpretation of it, so, no need to get to hung up on it being absolutely perfect, but, this line is the driving force of the whole toon. Needs the FUNK

:gas:

Don't get psyched out by BE's bass lines.

His playing style is unique and his lines sound complicated when you can’t play them but stick with it and you’ll find that his lines are all built around pretty simple ideas. That's what makes them so effective.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1332154749' post='1583893']
Don't get psyched out by BE's bass lines.

His playing style is unique and his lines sound complicated when you can’t play them but stick with it and you’ll find that his lines are all built around pretty simple ideas. That's what makes them so effective.
[/quote]

Indeed that's true. I simply cant do them the way he did them. I cant do hammer ons like he did, I have to go my own way. Still sounds pretty good to my ears.

You can kill yourself trying to get it spot on, or you can play It as well as you can, in your own way, to your own ability, [i]and [/i]still be satisfied [i]and[/i] enjoy it at the same time. :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1332190917' post='1584665']
Indeed that's true. I simply cant do them the way he did them. I cant do hammer ons like he did, I have to go my own way. Still sounds pretty good to my ears.

You can kill yourself trying to get it spot on, or you can play It as well as you can, in your own way, to your own ability, [i]and [/i]still be satisfied [i]and[/i] enjoy it at the same time. :)
[/quote]

+1 to this - has taken me years to learn this classic bass part.

ok
think i have the hang of it now...
it (to me) is all in the realisation of a little time change in the 2nd part of the lick, excuse my ignorance, but does it move up a notch to 16ths or something with the open A and D, hammer ons bit before the "descent " from open A to the beginning again? Sorry, thats not musically precise im sure, but the best i can articulate it!

The best advice I can give is for the second part of the line-( with the open A ) use your thumb to play the A whilst your other fingers play the F# and G notes- easier to mute this way.

I too have played this line since the record came out and still dont sound like BE.

Edited by thumperbob 2002