Why become a member? ×

eBay question - what to do?

basskit_case

Hello,

I purchased a Kala Sub Ubass from an eBay seller in the States just before Christmas, when it arrived I couldn't get any output from the bass, I informed the seller about this. I managed to resolve the issue by taking out the batteries, putting a new set in and then putting the original set back in, I figured the batteries hadn't been inserted correctly originally.

Anyway after a month in its gigbag I got the bass out this week only to find that I have the same problem, no output. I have tried reseating the batteries, I even bought a new set, but neither worked. I sent an eBay msg off to the seller and got this response:

[quote]I'm sorry to hear that the ubass is having problems. I have sold many of these and have never heard of that issue with them before. It sounds like it may be a wiring issue inside the instrument between the battery and the pickup. Unfortunately it is not under warranty though since I am not an "authorized dealer" for the manufacturer. I would recommend taking it to a local shop there and having a professional take a look at the issue. Sorry for the trouble. [/quote]

Is that a valid response, should I take it to a local shop for repair? If the purchase had been made from somebody in this country I would have expected to be able to get an exchange, I figure I may not have the opportunity as the seller is in the States?

Not an authority on issues like this but would personally think that buying from abroad is a risk for this reason. If it were me I'd be miffed but accept that it was my risk in a kind of "you win some you lose some" type way. Would be interested to know the legal side tho.

Well as 'the law' seems to be weighted in the favour of the US at any given time in this country, I don't reckon you're going to get anywhere down that route.

Reading through the details of the fault - if there was a 'complex' fault then swapping batteries out and then replacing the old ones would make no difference.

Obviously this can only be a 'best guess', but I reckon that you had a poor connection between the battery carrier and the preamp and swapping the batteries out 'nudged' the connection back into position.

I reckon that poor connection has now completely failed and there's a wire dangling loose in there.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1331846135' post='1579936']
Not an authority on issues like this but would personally think that buying from abroad is a risk for this reason. If it were me I'd be miffed but accept that it was my risk in a kind of "you win some you lose some" type way. Would be interested to know the legal side tho.
[/quote]

That was my thinking to be honest, chalk it down to experience, but as you say it would be interesting to know the legal position on this.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331846825' post='1579954']
Well as 'the law' seems to be weighted in the favour of the US at any given time in this country, I don't reckon you're going to get anywhere down that route.

Reading through the details of the fault - if there was a 'complex' fault then swapping batteries out and then replacing the old ones would make no difference.

Obviously this can only be a 'best guess', but I reckon that you had a poor connection between the battery carrier and the preamp and swapping the batteries out 'nudged' the connection back into position.

I reckon that poor connection has now completely failed and there's a wire dangling loose in there.
[/quote]

I reckon your right, although there are only two wires there and they both "appear" to be sound.

That is very disappointing for you, but hopefully it won't be too hard to fix by someone who knows their stuff.
It may be too late to open an 'item not as described' case with ebay and the cost of shipping means it will be cheaper to get fixed here.

I also nearly bought one of these from the states, but decided to wait and try one when they become available over here.

Hope you get it sorted soon, so you can post a review on here :)

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1331857461' post='1580163']
Send it to me and I'll sort it for you, just cover the postage ;)
[/quote]

Wow, thanks Paul thats a great offer, will get a PM over to you :)
[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1331857635' post='1580164']
I love this place!
[/quote]

You are not wrong :)

This response from the seller is typical. I am unsure whether the distance selling regulations stretch across the pond as they are a European directive that was brought under UK law. However the Paypal guarantee still applies and a dispute if raised would probably be successful, but the buyer has the stand the postage costs back tot he USA whuch would be more than getting it sorted here and the sellers are aware of this.

I sold a bass (against my better judgement) to a guy in Canada who bid on the bass and then pleaded with me to send it. The bass went for £520.00 + £100.00 insured shipping. He emailed me that the bass had arrived and was fine. Then a week later he asked for a refund and said the bass was unplayable and had intonation problems and sharp fret ends ? No problem says I, just mail the neck back and I will sort it. No response for 2 weeks and then paypal contacted me with a dispute and put my account into a negative. I disputed his claims but 4 weeks later they found in his favor.
When the bass arrived back, there were 2 frets that you feel on the side of the board. I had used spalted elm (not a very stable wood) and the decompression and temperature in the planes hold may of affected it. Took 2 minutes to sort out. I lost my £100.00 shipping costs but thankfully re-sold the bass to a customer of mine.

Because of the hasle this caused I will not accept payment from paypal from overseas customers.

Make it even more topical, and have someone render him. We'll use a black flight into Leeds/Bradford, or something, before bundling him into a container with is technically the decidedly un-neutral territory of the Free Republic of Yorkshire and threaten to put the leaches on him, before showing him some clips of Barney the Dinosaur.

Should sort the f***er out in no time. Put some hairs on his chest, etc.

My problem is the distance, I would probably have sent it back when the problem first appeared if i had bought it in this country, but postage charges didnt make that practical.

So I will be taking Paul up on his offer (thanks, Paul) and hoping that the problem is something that can be fixed, if it cannot then I will have to start a Paypal dispute and see what happens.

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1331857461' post='1580163']
Send it to me and I'll sort it for you, just cover the postage ;)
[/quote]

If the rest of the world did the sensible thing and modelled itself on BassChat it would be a far better place methinks.
Nice one Paul. :)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1331920594' post='1580987']
Did you have to pay import duty and VAT on arrival of this bass?
[/quote]

I certainly did. I knew it was coming but still a surprise to be asked for £70 on the doorstep before they would hand the bass over. :o

<Idiot Update>
Looks like the bass issue has been resolved, Taurezo's post in a thread I had started in the Repairs forum ( on which I had added photos of the ubass innards) said that I should be using a mono cable, what do you know, I was using a stereo cable. On swapping to a mono cable I can now hear the bass!
<Idiot Update ends for now, sure there will be more>

I can only assume that in the past I was using random stereo and mono cables on the bass to give the intermittent fault. :blush:

Thanks again for the offer of help Paul, PM on the way.

So now that I know the seller is not in the wrong I think now is the right time for extradition to the UK!

I am now about to msg the seller and let them know whats going on and give them a laugh as well.